PDA

View Full Version : Detecting Protocol

bob_e99
07-10-2011, 07:50 PM
I was wondering if someone could tell me what the protocol is if you show up at a small to medium site and another detectorist is already there. Do you go ahead and hunt or just leave? At a large site, I don't see a problem but I don't know about smaller sites.

Thanks for any input.

del
07-10-2011, 07:58 PM
i for one would love to see another detectorist ( one i've never met before)at one of our colonial cellar sites just to meet and compare notes about the site or a few others. then i'd stick around and hunt the area with him , a little friendly competition is healthy for ya.

Dan

angellionel
07-10-2011, 08:19 PM
There have been several times when other detectorists showed up at a site I was working, but often they would just start to detect and not say much. The sites have been large enough though. In the cases where there were others already detecting at a site I had intended to hit, I would attempt to engage a short chat to try and gauge the mood. lol If the fellow seemed a tad wound up I would just head elsewhere, otherwise I would ask him if he minded company. :yes:

steve in so az
07-10-2011, 09:26 PM
angellionel said my thoughts exactly. If one is obviously not wanted then come back later if needs be, Steve in so az

bob_e99
07-11-2011, 05:26 AM
Thank you again everyone for your input. It is very much appreciated.

Bob

aloldstuff
07-11-2011, 07:53 AM
My thoughts are if the area is not large, I don't go. I used to pass Rob all the time he was doing the green and I never stopped because to me that was his area. We evently did meet up on a street tearout. I had a farm that I was working for a long time in Southampton which gave up seated, barbers, mercs, rosies, LC's IH's, 2 cent, wheats so I didn't feel like I was missing anything on the green. After Rob and I had met I took him to the farm and he took me to the green. It's all good.....

CyberSage
07-11-2011, 08:08 AM
I always say hello, and ask if they are doing any good. Most folks in my experience are eager to have someone to hunt with. If the situation is reversed and someone approaches me, I always ask them to join me for the hunt. Always makes for fun hunts.

Dimeman
07-11-2011, 12:55 PM
I always say hello, and ask if they are doing any good. Most folks in my experience are eager to have someone to hunt with. If the situation is reversed and someone approaches me, I always ask them to join me for the hunt. Always makes for fun hunts.

Same here......Nobody can get it all in any given area, and most other detectorists welcome a buddy to hunt with.

coinnut
07-11-2011, 03:19 PM
I would hunt it. I would always chat with that person at some point in the hunt. If I were there first, I would not feel bad about some company. If he were there and it was public property, I would go as far away from him as possible and then hunt behind him. That way he can't say I jumped in front of him lol If someone was upset that I showed up on public property, then I probably wouldn't want to know him anyways lol

steve in so az
07-11-2011, 05:58 PM
coinnut - It's kinda fun to go behind others and dig what they miss :) Steve in so az

milco
07-11-2011, 06:16 PM
If someone was upset that I showed up on public property, then I probably wouldn't want to know him anyways lol

Exactly! And I agree with what the others have said as well.

CyberSage
07-11-2011, 07:06 PM
I would hunt it. I would always chat with that person at some point in the hunt. If I were there first, I would not feel bad about some company. If he were there and it was public property, I would go as far away from him as possible and then hunt behind him. That way he can't say I jumped in front of him lol If someone was upset that I showed up on public property, then I probably wouldn't want to know him anyways lol

Hey del Isn't this how you got stuck with coinnut? lol

del
07-11-2011, 07:15 PM
Hey del Isn't this how you got stuck with coinnut? lol

lol rofl rofl they way he keeps losing stuff :thinkingabout: :thinkingabout: maybe i should follow behind him more lol lol

coinnut
07-11-2011, 07:24 PM
lol rofl rofl they way he keeps losing stuff :thinkingabout: :thinkingabout: maybe i should follow behind him more lol lol

I never lose the good stuff lol

coinnut - It's kinda fun to go behind others and dig what they miss :) Steve in so az

It is, that is why I hunt with Del rofl

Exactly! And I agree with what the others have said as well.

Yep, I'm tired of nasty or problem people. They can hang with themselves ;)