PDA

View Full Version : Broke $1,000 YTD! Sold Some Gold!

M-Taliesin
07-11-2011, 09:08 PM
Howdy Folks!
My totals for the year are way down after that knee injury limited my hunting time. Add to that, I don't believe I've ever seen as much rain as we've had in June and July so far. Colorado is a semiarid state, but we've been building an ark because it just keeps coming!

Anyhow, I walked into the jewelry shop of a guy who buys gold from me with my Ruger P94 .40 cal holstered on my hip. I had a small clutch of gold to sell, and this man has always treated me fairly. A few minutes later I walked out with $180 in my pocket. I only sold a few small pieces and was happy with the amount he paid. He never blanched about my pistol while I was there either.

Then I went to the bank and walked in to deposit the money to my account. They weren't bothered by my sidearm either.

I wanted to go detecting today, as I am off work but it clouded up and we got more rain. This just ain't natural for these parts, and I've started to wonder if I shouldn't invest in waders!

Anyhow, that $180 took me over the 1 thousand dollar mark for the year, which is woefully down from my previous years. The first week of August will mark my 4th anniversary of owning a detector. How I wish I'd gotten started about 30 years sooner!!!

Sorry, no photos today, but some people wouldn't believe this story if the evidence was presented by the Department of Homeland Security. It doesn't matter, so long as my bank account benefits!

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

MassDirtFisher
07-11-2011, 09:56 PM
Congrats on a great year you are having!! Keep it going!! Try for 2000. Best of luck to you in the future. Happy Hunting!!

marinedad
07-11-2011, 11:21 PM
congrats on the 1000 milestone mel.

aloldstuff
07-12-2011, 07:09 AM
A $1000 mark is really something. I feel your pain, I also wish I had started 30 years ago

M-Taliesin
07-12-2011, 09:19 AM
Congrats on a great year you are having!! Keep it going!! Try for 2000. Best of luck to you in the future. Happy Hunting!!

Howdy Dirtfisher!
Not that great a year. I was over $2,000 this time last year already. And the year before that one too!
This is my poorest yield since I started detecting. But in previous years, I wasnt hobbled by a knee injury either,
so all things considered, suppose it ain't too shabby.

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

hockeyguy
07-12-2011, 11:47 AM
Awesome story Z....where else can you walk into the gold store and a bank fully armed........only in AMERICA! :perfect10:

M-Taliesin
07-12-2011, 02:33 PM
Awesome story Z....where else can you walk into the gold store and a bank fully armed........only in AMERICA! :perfect10:

Howdy Pardner!
Not in Illinois you can't! LOL!
Well, you can but are likely to be visited by SWAT!

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

MartinL
07-12-2011, 04:08 PM
Howdy Pardner!
Not in Illinois you can't! LOL!
Well, you can but are likely to be visited by SWAT!

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

I was just about to report the same thing about Texas, per a response I received from a long time CCW friend, Wouldn’t work here at all. Texas law requires that the gun be concealed. Some states, however, allow open carry.

As a precautionary suggestion Mel, I'd be careful about expressing the ease of the CCW laws in Colorado without an instant disclaimer included, because it could easily get someone elsewhere in big trouble. jm2c, I am not trying to be snippy. martin

M-Taliesin
07-14-2011, 10:10 AM
As a precautionary suggestion Mel, I'd be careful about expressing the ease of the CCW laws in Colorado without an instant disclaimer included, because it could easily get someone elsewhere in big trouble. jm2c, I am not trying to be snippy. martin

Howdy Martin!
I don't believe I ever said that getting CCW permits was easy. In fact, you have some hurdles to overcome.

First, you must submit an application with $100 for the Sheriff (for fingerprinting and extensive background check) and another $52.50 for the Colorado Bureau of Investigation, which facilitates that background check through the Federal Bureau of Investigation. That's only one step.

When we apply for a CCW permit, we must also submit proof of completion of a basic firearms course. Those can range from $75.00 on up. While live fire is not required by statute, some sheriffs will not approve an application unless their CCW training included live fire and demonstrated handgun proficiency.

So aside from the cost of the weapon, you're looking at better than $200 to upwards of $300 for license and application fees. The background investigation looks for any felony crimes, domestic violence, mental instability or protective orders on the applicant's record. The sheriff has up to 90 days to approve or deny the application. In a situation where an applicant has been denied, they have the right to request a secondary review of the case by the sheriff, or to submit for a judical review by a judge.

In my humble opinion, this process is NOT easy. And it ain't cheap either. Neither is it quick, like getting a driver's license.

Once you have your CCW permit in Colorado, then you have a whole new bunch of issues to cope with. How to carry a weapon concealed. What gear to carry, what sort of holster, a variation on the old question &quot:grin:shocked04:es this outfit make me look armed? and a whole bunch of other issues that most folks don't consider until they attempt to go with a CCW permit.

On the other hand, open carry does not require any training, is legal to do so in all of Colorado with expection of City and County of Denver and public buildings where it is posted or permanent metal detecting equipment is located, on school grounds of any type in accord with the Federal Gun Free School Zones act, and other circumstances dictated by law.

Since some exceptions are proscribed by law, you now find yourself doing a whole bunch of reasearch on law that you maybe didn't see coming when the decision to carry seemed like a good idea. I've invested several hundred hours now studying up on handgun carry laws, not only here in Colorado, but in Nebraska, Kansas, Oklahoma and other states that I've visited or intend to visit in the near future.

So if I gave any illusion that CCW permits are 'easy', let me put those notions to rest here and now. It ain't that easy, and there is a whole bunch of responsibility one must take on with their decision to carry. It ain't the most difficult thing I've ever done, but it ranks right up there with some of the more labor intensive!

Blessings,
M-Taliesin