PDA

View Full Version : Chance Encounter with Construction Site 3 IH's

milco
07-14-2011, 10:29 AM
I had a last minute trip late yesterday afternoon to deliver something to a customer in an emergency. On my way home I ran in to two different construction sites, one a street tear out and another, this housing authority construction site. I did not get home until very late, but I am glad I stayed and rescued these Indianhead pennies. The 1867 IH is my oldest IH and now my 2nd oldest coin ever. I found five coins, three IH and two memorials.

When I noticed this site I quickly parked got out and looked around. I immediate saw all sorts of glass and pottery. Many unfortunately looked freshly broken and several bottles no doubt were complete prior to excavation. Based on the type of material around, I am guessing that several old privy's were unearthed in this process and scattered around the site.

Stay tuned for another post on the street tear out project.

angellionel
07-14-2011, 10:53 AM
Excellent recoveries! :clapping: Taking advantage of such opportunities can pay off with some sweet finds, and the place looks like it will yield yet more old coins. :drool: Very nice photos by the way. thumbsup01

aloldstuff
07-14-2011, 11:02 AM
Good for you taking advantage of these construction opportunities. Nice finds, bet thers more.

z118
07-14-2011, 11:09 AM
What a great opportunity! Congrats on the sweet digs.

RobW
07-14-2011, 01:14 PM
Very nice! Congrats :clapping:

milco
07-14-2011, 04:54 PM
Here are some of the other items after cleaning. Suspender buckles, one with pat date of March 1871. Don't know what the tube thingy it yet. It's about six inches long an 7/8 in diameter, and says Made For Morgan & Wright, Chicago.

coinnut
07-14-2011, 07:01 PM
Love those kind of hunts :clapping: Too bad about the privy bottles. There are some nice ones from the 1870's era. :drool: Keep at that place, somewhere in there is a Seated coin with your name on it lol

jkress
07-14-2011, 07:58 PM
When I read the title of the post... I just knew it was going to be from you. lol :clapping:
You really keep a metal detecting eye on all of your surroundings. Some very nice
early IH's showed up for you. <:
Coinnut is right... there is a Seated waiting for you there.
Congrats on all of the keepers.

zrickkid
07-15-2011, 01:03 AM
Good luck cant wait to see what you find next!

milco
07-20-2011, 08:55 PM
I am planning to hit this site again on Fri and Sat but they have already covered up alot of this site with gravel and graded. Thankfully I was able to tip off another detectorist and he has been hitting this since last week and has found three IH, a barber dime and merc. He's fairly new to the hobby so he's pretty excited and been sending me regular updates. Here are posts of those finds on another forum:

http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=80020

http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=80296

JTGOLD
07-20-2011, 09:28 PM
very good hunt,wtg.

fsa46
07-21-2011, 06:16 AM
You took advantage of a great opportunity and was rewarded for it, good for you. :clapping:

Can't wait to see what else is yet to be found. :dontknow:

randy
07-21-2011, 07:28 AM
Way to take advantage of an opportunity :cheering: Nice IH's :clapping:

catskillcomics
07-21-2011, 09:34 AM
Great opportunity! I always get shot down when I try to ask permission

milco
07-21-2011, 12:09 PM
Great opportunity! I always get shot down when I try to ask permission

This is public property with no signs, no fences nothing. It's a smaller town, in Milwaukee a site like this would be all fenced off, etc. On private property, I too always get shot down for liability reasons.

milco
07-25-2011, 09:24 PM
Went back to this site on Friday 7/22 for two hours. I was able to meet another detectorist there which was a plus. Unfortunately, the site was mostly covered with gravel in preparation for pavement, and they had taken most of the big dirt pile away. crying01

mike l
07-25-2011, 11:20 PM
Wow when I saw the first pictures I said to myself it looks like they have the fill ready to go. Too bad you couldn't hit again. At least you got to save some stuff before its final burial!

Mudder
07-29-2011, 08:33 PM
You did a great job with those finds, the Indians are good, but some of the relics are really nice. Congrats on a job well done.

milco
08-07-2011, 12:13 PM
Another update on this site. Just when I thought this site was done, a friend of mine hit it again yesterday around the edges and did he ever find a beauty!

http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=82121