PDA

View Full Version : Burst my Bubble

Dully59
07-14-2011, 04:03 PM
:( Friend called this morning and said they were digging up an old school ground, late 1800's i had hunted before. He was right there was 1-1.5 feet of dirt taken off 1/2 acre of the grounds. First signal 1907 Barber, Second signal Wheat, then - school disctrict dude comes over and says sorry to dangerous to be here. Single Bobcat far end of school (sigh). I do know the company thats hauling the mountain of dirt away to make way for the parking lot going in so maybe i will follow that mountain of dirt.

Burst Bubble in Longmont Colorado crying01

coinnut
07-14-2011, 06:48 PM
The dreaded....you can't do that here :rolleyes: That stinks. Look at the coins that are still there even at that depth. :shocked04: Try and see if they will let you on there if it is after all equipment is gone. If it's a liability issue, offer to sign some papers for them. But really try and find out where that hauled away dirt is going. :drool: :drool:

Dully59
07-14-2011, 07:05 PM
He said liability issue and i asked about when the equipment was idle but no. He did take the time to call the office for me and gave me the company name thats hauling the dirt. It is just on the edge of town so i plan to stop in there and talk to them. May be tough though they have huge mountains of dirt everywhere so they don't spread it out. Started me thinking though they have dozens of piles and i wonder how many coins reside in them.

milco
07-14-2011, 09:40 PM
I have tracked down dirt from several construction projects for miles and miles in far away towns, and most of it is still sitting there in piles. :crying02: In fact there is one spot that has about 400-500 yards of dirt from a very old town in Wisconsin side walk project that yielded seated, shiled nickels, IH, etc. and the pile just sits there....ugh!

CyberSage
07-14-2011, 10:15 PM
Man, that's to bad Dully! Sounds like you got a good Silver out of it though! How you been? I was thinking about heading down your way this weekend. You going to be out and about?

Jack

jkress
07-14-2011, 10:57 PM
Bummer. crying01 >:{
You win some and lose some. :dontknow:
I tracked down and received permission to hunt dirt that was being
pulled out of our down town and deposited many miles away. Didn't work out for me. crying01
Some people just don't understand the importance. :rolleyes: lol >:/ rofl

dave in iowa
07-14-2011, 11:12 PM
same here in my town, a large part of the old park was dug up for a amphtheater, i can search the dirt anytime , but its 8 ft. hi .dont think i can get them to spread it out but im gonna ask

aloldstuff
07-15-2011, 09:11 AM
Very sorry to hear of this encounter. Congrats on the Barber though. I'd follow the dirt.

Dully59
07-15-2011, 11:56 AM
Hey Jack,
If you're in Longmont i am sure i will see you i'm out in the parks most weekends. Check out the corner of 9th and Main St. I did find another nice Silver Ring at Thompson. Just amazing that park still spits out goodies after being hunted to death.

bob_e99
07-15-2011, 01:47 PM
I can understand if the bobcat was working but could you have asked to be there after hours when work had stopped?

Dully59
07-15-2011, 04:51 PM
I did ask about being there after work hours and the Bobcat was on the far end of the school. He said they had trenches everywhere but all those were was deep truck tire impressions. Just didn't want me there so in order to keep us Detecters in a good standing i left on a good note with him.

russellt
07-15-2011, 08:01 PM
yea that stinks >:(

bob_e99
07-15-2011, 10:27 PM
I did ask about being there after work hours and the Bobcat was on the far end of the school. He said they had trenches everywhere but all those were was deep truck tire impressions. Just didn't want me there so in order to keep us Detecters in a good standing i left on a good note with him.

Judging from the condition of the lot, it didn't sound very dangerous so the guy was either being overly protective of being sued from injury or simply didn't want you there. I don't know how much the detecting was worth to you but if it were me, I may have resorted to asking him if he wanted a fee to allow me access and I would have offered to sign a form if necessary. It's a real shame to see this great opportunity go by.

BrunswickMd
07-17-2011, 06:27 PM
I really appreciate posts like this cuz you are teaching a newbie how to properly purse the access issue. Thank you very much for sharing your experience. Happy Hunting!!! :groovy: