PDA

View Full Version : Show us your XLT deep silver program

BillZ
01-15-2010, 10:46 PM
The wife and I finally can spend a little time out tomorrow. Up until now, the ground has been snow covered or frozen for about the last 6 weeks. Right before the big freeze I had my XLT updated with a new coil and software update by Whites so it has been a long and frustrating wait for a chance to get to use it.

Now that the XLT is in tip-top condition, I want to concentrate on finding deep silver in parks that I have already searched. I am curious to see other user's deep silver programs, what depths they have gotten with that program, and possibly what their reasoning is for specific settings.

I know that there are a lot of XLT owners out there...Let's see your programs!

I'll start with mine. It's a work in progress so any constructive criticism is welcome.

Target volume 56

Audio Threshold 23

Tone 226

Audio Disc ON

Silent Search OFF

Mixed Mode OFF

AC 44

DC 35

Backlight 1

Viewing angle 25

Ratchet Pin OFF

S.A.T. 7

Tone ID ON

V.C.O. OFF

Absolute Value OFF

Modulation ON

Autotrack ON

Trac View OFF

Autotrac Speed 14

Autotrac Offset +1

Trac Inhibit OFF

Coarse G.E.B. 38

Fine G.E.B. 148

Disc Edit Reject -95 to -41, Accept -40 to +94, Reject +95 (I get a lot of +95 here)

Learn Accept OFF

Learn Reject OFF

Recovery Speed 20

Bottlecap Reject 1

Visual Discrimination ON

Icons ON

V.D.I. Sensitivity 85

D.C. Phase OFF (sometimes I turn it on)

Graph averaging ON

Graph Accumulate ON

Fade Rate 7

Trans Boost OFF

Trans Freq 4

Pre Amp Gain 13 (or as high as I can go)

BillZ
01-16-2010, 11:44 AM
I just tried a program at this link.
http://66.51.97.78/coinist/silverpgm.html

Seems to work pretty well. I went to my usual woods for 2 hours, found 4 wheaties, a 41' nickle and a 1918 Merc.

None of it was very deep but I had more deep reading signals that I have before.

grinsebring
01-16-2010, 09:04 PM
Bill, any reason you have the backlight on? I don't hunt in the woods, so I don't know if you need it. Otherwise, its a battery burner....Gil

BillZ
01-16-2010, 09:47 PM
Bill, any reason you have the backlight on? I don't hunt in the woods, so I don't know if you need it. Otherwise, its a battery burner....Gil

It is hard to see sometimes in the woods so I put it on 1 to make it visible.

I didn't used to use it at all until recently. My wife just got me a new battery pack for Christmas. I don't worry about the charge anymore, just plug it in.

del
01-17-2010, 01:29 AM
try raising your a.c. sensitivity as high as you can go before it gets to unstable and dropping your recovery speed to around 12-14 , i know i was getting some very good depth with mine after i made some of those adjustments . i'll see if i still have some of my programs laying around for the xlt if your interested. also if you turn your modulation off the deeper targets will sound almost as loud as the shallow ones ( with it on the very deep ones are on the lighter sounding side and could be easier to miss if your having a hard time hearing fainter beeps)

Dan

BillZ
01-17-2010, 09:10 AM
try raising your a.c. sensitivity as high as you can go before it gets to unstable and dropping your recovery speed to around 12-14 , i know i was getting some very good depth with mine after i made some of those adjustments . i'll see if i still have some of my programs laying around for the xlt if your interested. also if you turn your modulation off the deeper targets will sound almost as loud as the shallow ones ( with it on the very deep ones are on the lighter sounding side and could be easier to miss if your having a hard time hearing fainter beeps)

Dan

Thanks, Del. I had forgotten that it was the modulation that made the deeper targets sound softer. I may be using the program that is linked in my earlier post for now. It has the changes you mention and I had good results with it.

I bought the XLT used this past summer and it took me some time to realize that something was wrong with it. Now that it is fixed, I can really see now how capable it can be.

BillZ
01-20-2010, 10:04 AM
As mentioned before, I have used this program recently. So far I have had good luck with shallow targets but not anything deeper than around 4.
http://66.51.97.78/coinist/silverpgm.html

With the Modulation on, I have been hearing soft signals that register 8-10 inches deep but they have yet to be consistently repeatable or consistently read in the silver range. I might get one soft blip with a VDI in the 80's. The numbers then hit the 80's every 5th swig or so and otherwise go all over the place. The DC reading with the trigger will read -80's and -90's. I haven't tried digging any of these because it is a lot of time and work to dig a 10 hole for what is probably a wild goose chase.

My questions are to anyone that knows how to read deep signals on the XLT. When I get a good signal on say, a penny that is 3 deep, the DC reading is consistently a fairly high positive # Like, +45 - +75. I noticed that if you pick the coil up a few inches off the ground, the DC reading goes negative. Does that mean that a deeper target will have a DC reading that is more unreliable? Should I ignore the DC reading for deep signals?
What conditions do you look for when deciding to dig a deep signal on, the graph, the tone, and the VDI?

I guess what I am asking is what does deep silver sound and act like on an XLT?

Rusthunter
01-21-2010, 11:45 AM
I also use an XLT and as a rule I normally check out any target 6 inches or deeper that pinpoints well. The id on the target is not great at that depth with the XLT. and as far as the dc phasing, You can not really trust what you see on targets that deep. I have pulled silver quarters at 6 inches that read -90 on the dc phasing.

Last Sunday I pulled an indian at 7 inches. ID bounced from quarter to pull tab. Dc Phase was -80s, but pinpointed very small. I have 1 spot that produces a lot of indians at around 6 to 7 inches. I will try to make a short video on the next one I find. (if the weather ever decides to cooperate again)

Capt. Destructo
05-17-2010, 01:03 AM
Hi

I too am interested in what something deeper sounds like. I cannot dig every deep signal where I hunt and am looking for advice on how to be a bit more certain before I dig. Bench testing, is not cutting it. Next step is trying to lug home a significant chuck of soil, undisturbed. My wife will love that.

thanks
Capt. Destructo

drew73
04-05-2011, 02:10 PM
:shocked04: what program did you start with? coin,relic,??

BillZ
04-06-2011, 06:48 AM
It was relic.

drew73
04-06-2011, 09:33 AM
thankz. this year is starting off good for me. just going thur and trying some xlt programs. h.h