PDA

View Full Version : My second silver - a mercury dime

bob_e99
07-15-2011, 01:42 PM
I have a friend who knows someone who knew of an old farmhouse and was offering to show me the location. Needless to say, I was more than excited. Our first arranged date was a rainy one (about three weeks ago) and we finally made it to the site yesterday late afternoon. Judging by the grounds I could tell this site was very well known and I wasn't expecting to find anything. The ground was loaded with iron of all type and it was the worst site that I have detected in my short time doing this. I gave it about an hour plus and decided that it was not worth making them wait around. I'm not saying someone with more experience on this type of site couldn't do better or even if I spent a whole day and wandered further from the foundation but this definitely was not doing it for me.

To make a long story longer, we went back to my friend's house which turned out to have been built in 1875. My heart skipped several beats and asked him if that was true and sure enough it was. I asked him if anyone has detected in his yard and he said no, would I like to do it. While I had some trepidation (for a lot of reasons) about doing it, I couldn't leave without a bit of detecting. He watched me for a while and then went off and did some lawn work. For the short time I was there I had a bit of decent luck finding my second silver (a mercury dime) and a couple of wheat pennies.

I plan on thanking him in a more appropriate way and hope that he'll invite me again.

thanks for looking

z118
07-15-2011, 01:51 PM
Sweet Merc! It's hard to imagine there's not more goodies at that spot. I haven't hunted too many yards myself but as you are no doubt coming to learn they seem to be among the last best unhunted spots. Congrats!

milco
07-15-2011, 04:08 PM
Congrats on the Merc, and good luck on future hunt there!

russellt
07-15-2011, 08:02 PM
hey thats a nice old merc.. good luck in the future

jkress
07-15-2011, 09:28 PM
Score!! <: Congrats on your first Mercury. :clapping:
They are a nice coin to find. I'm always very happy when I pull one out.
The house sounds like a wonderful place to hunt. :drool: You are going to get some nice ones there.
I bet Barbers and IH's are definitely forthcoming.

angellionel
07-15-2011, 11:11 PM
I do love the mercury dimes. That's a nice score. I bet there will be more there too.

Tony Two-Cent
07-16-2011, 08:20 AM
Congrats on your first Merc! They are beautiful coins and it's always a thrill to find them. I hope you are invited to hunt that spot again!

MassDirtFisher
07-16-2011, 12:17 PM
Congrats on the nice looking mercury dime!! Happy Hunting!!

aloldstuff
07-18-2011, 11:47 AM
Congrats on your second silver, yards can keep on producing so go back

coinnut
07-18-2011, 10:31 PM
Don't give up on either site, although one requires much more patience to detect lol I would drool over either one of those. :clapping: Nice score with the Merc thumbsup01

wingmaster
07-19-2011, 01:41 PM
Congrats on the nice old merc.

bob_e99
07-19-2011, 03:15 PM
Thanks everyone. Your kind remarks are very much appreciated and motivate me more to try and find something close to some of the spectacular finds people are posting on this site.

:daydream: