PDA

View Full Version : Colonial Cape Cod

sniffy
07-16-2011, 07:43 PM
So I just got back from my week long vacation in Cape Cod (WELL OVERDUE) I have been on Cape every year since I was a toddler...same spot and probably road my bike and walked all over the coins for years. Last hunt in my Aunts lawn produced a nice complete shoe buckle, a KG Copper, a Draped Bust, an Edward Shilling, and several Indians and other silver coins. My aunts property is sandwiched in between a 1740's homestead and a 1680's home. Both existing. The old road is now long gone but both homes face towards the beautiful lawns my uncle meticulously preserves. Most of the 2 acre lawn is native soil, but a large section was excavated and new material brought in during the 1970's. What I have pictured in my hand is ALOT of hard work....I dug a large amount of trash. Funny thing....the King George III was dug almost in the exact spot I dug one 2 years ago...DUUUUR! Check your holes. I was satisfied with the buttons and KG but my last day there I decided to give it a go. It had rained the night before and I was excited to see if I could coax another coin or button out.....I tried near the fence that borders the 1680's lawn...Last time I got a complete shoe buckle here....I went slow and dug anything that remotely chirped. That really pays off....alot of work digging a ton...but somtimes the result can leave you happy. I found this 1737 2 reale about 8 inches deep with my prizm III It barely chirped and normally I wouldn't have dug it. Except now all the signals are gone and I'm desperate for a good target. So it comes out of the hole and knocks my socks off.....sometimes the best things catch you off-guard. The Bass fishing in Cape Cod is insane, every night with surface lures I caught 10-20 bass ranging in the 1-5 lb range....very fun accompanied by Mr. Sam Adams himself. My wife and children had a blast every day was an exciting event....One neat thing we got to see was a Civil War encampment by the 22nd Massachusetts. Reenactments are always cool because some of them know so much. Well thanks for lookin!

angellionel
07-16-2011, 08:49 PM
What a peaceful looking place. The photos are great, and that first one makes me want to take up fishing again. Cape Cod is a place with a lot of history. You did well detecting there... those finds are excellent!

del
07-16-2011, 08:59 PM
the cape is a great area to relax and take it all in :yes: some great history and pictures Sniffy , the pistareen is a beautiful coin :drool: :smitten: :smitten: and in very nice shape too. huge congrats Jesse. |:confused:) :clapping: :clapping:

coinnut
07-16-2011, 09:05 PM
What a hunt Jesse |:confused:) |:confused:) |:confused:) Themz is sum beauts :smitten: Whites should give you a VX3 just for getting all of that with your Prism III :shocked04: Nice job and it looks like you had some really relaxing times. :clapping:

jkress
07-16-2011, 09:15 PM
What a great post sniffy. :-> Awesome pictures too. :yes:
Sounds like the vacation was perfect. Lots of R&R in a beautiful area. To top it off you make some amazing finds while hunting
an area that makes me :drool: just thinking about it.
Those coins are simply incredible. Congrats.

Except now all the signals are gone and I'm desperate for a good target.

Two of my best finds this year came from situations just like this. On both occasions I know I would have walked over both of the signals
had I been finding some IH's and silver. Really makes me wonder how much I have walked over and left behind. crying01

HEAVYMETALNUT
07-16-2011, 09:39 PM
i got a crick in my neck lookin at sideways pics rofl that pistareen is a beauty! welcome back! now lets go get some coins at the 1710 house! :behave:

sniffy
07-16-2011, 09:50 PM
What a peaceful looking place. The photos are great, and that first one makes me want to take up fishing again. Cape Cod is a place with a lot of history. You did well detecting there... those finds are excellent!
Thanks angel. Fishing in this pond has always been a blast....as a matter of fact..my picture is still in the bait and tackle shop in Falmouth. 8lb 9 oz Large Mouth bass.....caught on a jittah-bug 1990 was just a wee lad then. Detecting in the old colonial yard is VERY peaceful here....

sniffy
07-16-2011, 09:51 PM
the cape is a great area to relax and take it all in :yes: some great history and pictures Sniffy , the pistareen is a beautiful coin :drool: :smitten: :smitten: and in very nice shape too. huge congrats Jesse. |:confused:) :clapping: :clapping:
Thank you Del, Cape Cod has been my ultimate favorite spot for a very long time....except now I look at it in different eyes...through a DETECTORS EYES! All this time I played and walked all over these relics and coins....it's funny to think about.

sniffy
07-16-2011, 09:53 PM
What a hunt Jesse |:confused:) |:confused:) |:confused:) Themz is sum beauts :smitten: Whites should give you a VX3 just for getting all of that with your Prism III :shocked04: Nice job and it looks like you had some really relaxing times. :clapping:
DUDE...so far everything I have found this year has been with the Prizm. My DFX won't hold battery charge. :dontknow:....That would be awesome to get a new machine...you got any layin around you wanna sell?

sniffy
07-16-2011, 09:56 PM
What a great post sniffy. :-> Awesome pictures too. :yes:
Sounds like the vacation was perfect. Lots of R&R in a beautiful area. To top it off you make some amazing finds while hunting
an area that makes me :drool: just thinking about it.
Those coins are simply incredible. Congrats.
Two of my best finds this year came from situations just like this. On both occasions I know I would have walked over both of the signals
had I been finding some IH's and silver. Really makes me wonder how much I have walked over and left behind. crying01
IT was an awesome time...thank you. I try not to think about how much I leave behind....I tend to lose sleep. LOL...

sniffy
07-16-2011, 09:57 PM
i got a crick in my neck lookin at sideways pics rofl that pistareen is a beauty! welcome back! now lets go get some coins at the 1710 house! :behave:
You better have a V8...lol. 1710 house is a patient one.

coinnut
07-16-2011, 09:59 PM
DUDE...so far everything I have found this year has been with the Prizm. My DFX won't hold battery charge. :dontknow:....That would be awesome to get a new machine...you got any layin around you wanna sell?

I just sent my DFX down south (a little bit south that is lol) to be sold for me. I need to start banking some cash in case something new hits the market. If you send in your story about using the Prism III for all your finds this year to Whites, they should pick your story and you can get 2 new batteries for that DFX. lol Problem solved ;)

sniffy
07-16-2011, 10:29 PM
I just sent my DFX down south (a little bit south that is lol) to be sold for me. I need to start banking some cash in case something new hits the market. If you send in your story about using the Prism III for all your finds this year to Whites, they should pick your story and you can get 2 new batteries for that DFX. lol Problem solved ;)
Allready tried the new batteries....Nope. She's down...dig a hole...get the gun.

milco
07-16-2011, 11:25 PM
WOW! Congrats on those amazing relics and old coins! Now that's a vacation! Great pics too!

aloldstuff
07-18-2011, 01:30 PM
Great vacation and great recoveries. I used to go to the cape every year but that darn traffic is a killer.

tanacat
07-18-2011, 03:08 PM
:omg: Wow! :happydance01: I don't think I'll find any coins that old here in Ky. I bet you're looking forward to getting back there next year :) Congrats on awesome digs. And great that you found a 1737 reale with your Prism III :shocked01: You should def send pics and story to Whites :yes:

At first I was expecting to see some old toys/cars you played with as a kid lol A few weeks ago I detected an old house I lived in (early 1970's) and got a little sentimental when I found a rusty old jack that was probably mine.

BOWSER
07-18-2011, 04:31 PM
Just tell me what town you were in,as a matter of fact if you were near Yarmouth you could have met eleanore hube ,the grande dame of metal detecting ,she sells metal dectors there.Looks like you have a inside track as to where to hunt on cape,although any old property should have something good in the ground.best of luck JIM

sniffy
07-19-2011, 04:09 AM
:omg: Wow! :happydance01: I don't think I'll find any coins that old here in Ky. I bet you're looking forward to getting back there next year :) Congrats on awesome digs. And great that you found a 1737 reale with your Prism III :shocked01: You should def send pics and story to Whites :yes:

At first I was expecting to see some old toys/cars you played with as a kid lol A few weeks ago I detected an old house I lived in (early 1970's) and got a little sentimental when I found a rusty old jack that was probably mine.
I found a bunch of matchbox cars that were mine from the 80's. We cleaned them up and let little jackster play with them.

sniffy
07-19-2011, 04:11 AM
Just tell me what town you were in,as a matter of fact if you were near Yarmouth you could have met eleanore hube ,the grande dame of metal detecting ,she sells metal dectors there.Looks like you have a inside track as to where to hunt on cape,although any old property should have something good in the ground.best of luck JIM
Did you happen to see BOWSER at the Melody Tent in Hyannis last Friday? Woodshole/Falmouth area.

BOWSER
07-19-2011, 08:41 PM
Sorry i missed it, 72 miles from my house,would have to pawn my mxt for gas money. >{

zrickkid
07-25-2011, 04:04 PM
Very nice indeed!

Mudder
07-29-2011, 09:15 PM
Great job, and I do suspect that the reale was a surprise. :drool:

Tony Two-Cent
07-30-2011, 11:01 AM
Beautiful pictures and great finds! That King George and Spanish Reale are spectacular! I've always wanted to visit Cape Cod, not just for detecting but to absorb the history of the place.

Thanks for sharing the wonderful photos and finds!