PDA

View Full Version : Hunt with Del and our friend Mike

coinnut
07-16-2011, 08:55 PM
Went on an all day hunt with Del and a friend of ours Mike, from out detecting club. We hit an old reliable cellar hole where the 2 cent pieces, and fat Indians come out. We figured it would be a good way to break in Mike lol Then we headed over to Mike's place and tried our luck at his old house :shocked04: No luck there for me though lol Here's my stuff.

All the trash (and there was a lot of it today)

[attachimg=1]

The better finds were plentiful too.

[attachimg=2]

Three of the buttons didn't clean up as nice as the last batch. The first is a pewter? (lead probably lol) civilian button, followed by a couple of military ones. The last one has an iron back :confused: Didn't expect that. It is the nicest of the buttons found today.

[attachimg=3]

Also got a fattie Indian (1859) and a semi key date 1866 Indian too :clapping: I can already see there is something going on with the date on the '66. Either repunched or doubled or something strange

[attachimg=4]
[attachimg=5]

Also got a nice 1864 2 cent piece (Large Motto >:/)

[attachimg=6]

And finally I found this 1852 Large cent on my second or third hole. Not even 20 minutes into the hunt, I knew it was going to be a good day.

[attachimg=7]

So, That is my story and I am sticking to it :yes:

Viking
07-16-2011, 09:16 PM
A great hunt indeed! Way to go! :perfect10:

Have you been updating your YTD totals at the bottom of your posts? Seems like you have more than 13 coppers and 8 silvers?

coinnut
07-16-2011, 09:20 PM
Have you been updating your YTD totals at the bottom of your posts? Seems like you have more than 13 coppers and 8 silvers?

lol I'm too tired lol I think the silver count is correct, but the copper count just went up by 1 thumbsup01 Coppers are hard to find this year for some reason :confused:

jkress
07-16-2011, 09:23 PM
Awesome hunt George!! :clapping: |:confused:)
I can't believe how many flat buttons you find. I wonder why I don't find any here?
They look like they would ring up pretty solid on a detector. I'm guessing pretty high on the conductive scale.
Three very, very nice coins too. I'd be in heaven if I pulled a LC, fatty and 2 Cent piece in a hunt.
The 2 Center is in very nice shape.
Congrats.

HEAVYMETALNUT
07-16-2011, 09:41 PM
swell job there G ya did way better than i did today :-\

sniffy
07-16-2011, 09:45 PM
I'd say thats an awesome day!

randy
07-17-2011, 08:30 PM
Wow, what an amazing hunt. Congrats on that fine pile of keepers.

del
07-17-2011, 08:58 PM
it was great to meet up with Mike ( his first stab at cellar hunting ) i'm sure it was a little uncomfortable at first , being out of his normal element and using a new different program for his dfx. so it was a little tough for him but chalk it up as a learning experience and he said he had a great time out with us and i'm looking toward his next time out .

you had very good day George :cheering: :cheering: six coins total for one day at a hunted to death site ain't bad :grin:. i can't believe this site still produces coins after almost 6 years of detecting by 6 or more hunters . atleast 65 coins have been recovered from this site , more than a hundered buttons .

my take for the day was an old brass bell an older suspender buckle a few buttons , one handmade lead poker chip and two indians ( a very weakly struck 1859 and an 1882)

Dan

angellionel
07-17-2011, 09:02 PM
You really went on a detecting rampage, didn't you George. lol Those are some really sweet finds. :smitten: The 2-Cent piece is beautiful! :drool: I'm loving that 1866 Indian Head cent too. :loveit:

tanacat
07-18-2011, 08:26 AM
Always love your hunts/posts you guys :) You did FANTASTIC :clapping: |:confused:)

Bet they all cleaned up real nice- they look mighty fine :yes:

aloldstuff
07-18-2011, 01:24 PM
Way to go guys, and you are breaking in another potential cellar hole hunter.. Great finds

bob_e99
07-19-2011, 05:14 PM
I think I dug up that very same can .... about 15 times.

lol

Love the large cent.
Great hunt.

:cheering:

tanacat
07-20-2011, 08:24 AM
Amazing amount of buttons :shocked04:stretcher:

I'd love to see your coin collections (coppers) sometime. You've prob mentioned before how you store them-sleeves and books? Maybe when I come do a cellar hunt w/ya'll :)

RobW
07-20-2011, 08:26 AM
Very nice....very nice :clapping:

coinnut
07-20-2011, 09:08 AM
Amazing amount of buttons :shocked04:stretcher:

I'd love to see your coin collections (coppers) sometime. You've prob mentioned before how you store them-sleeves and books? Maybe when I come do a cellar hunt w/ya'll :)

Storing my finds?? :thinkingabout: That may be a good idea sometime lol Just kidding. Most of them are in 2x2's and in those metal cases used for slides. I think they hold 125 or 150 slides each. Works great for 2x2's, although you do have to hit the back of the staples with a hammer to make them flush lol Oops, better not miss and hit the coin 8/ Anytime you are in the area, you can hit a cellar hole with us, but fair warning, it's a lot of wandering around and hoping for some good stuff :yes:

tanacat
07-20-2011, 01:12 PM
Storing my finds?? :thinkingabout: That may be a good idea sometime lol Just kidding. Most of them are in 2x2's and in those metal cases used for slides. I think they hold 125 or 150 slides each. Works great for 2x2's, although you do have to hit the back of the staples with a hammer to make them flush

lol Oh yeah- you have told me about your system before 8/

Anytime you are in the area, you can hit a cellar hole with us, but fair warning, it's a lot of wandering around and hoping for some good stuff :yes:

And the mosquitoes the size of birds? lol

I'm up for adventure- I even have a college degree in camping/outdoor recreation :grin: I just have to get away from my kids for a week or so... it'll prob be a year or two...

Civil War Nut
07-21-2011, 01:38 AM
Nice finds Cnut . Your Navy botton looks to be an Federal Navy button , NA233As1 , Scovill Mg. Co. made these during the 1850s , similar to the NA113 , without the cannon balls . The Confederates have one allmost just like it . Theres dont have the backgroung , and made of white metal . CSN272A1 . That is nice . Yall have fun and the best of luck to all . Steel too hot for me !

coinnut
07-21-2011, 11:41 AM
Nice finds Cnut . Your Navy botton looks to be an Federal Navy button , NA233As1 , Scovill Mg. Co. made these during the 1850s , similar to the NA113 , without the cannon balls . The Confederates have one allmost just like it . Theres dont have the backgroung , and made of white metal . CSN272A1 . That is nice . Yall have fun and the best of luck to all . Steel too hot for me !

Thanks CWN. The Navy button threw me off since the back is corroded steel :thinkingabout: I was expecting a brass back, so I thought it was newer. Kinda hard to get a backmark off of rust lol Can't wait for this heat to break. It has finally reached MA now >:/ Gonna be getting up in the 90's with some higher humidity too :crying02:

SeabeeRon
07-22-2011, 08:26 PM
Nice digs George, love the pix!! :peace: