PDA

View Full Version : Old Church = Old Coins

Bell-Two
07-17-2011, 04:07 PM
Went out Saturday with my nephew Paul and Diane, we went to a town north of us. Paul’s friend had invited him to come up and hunt the old farmhouse he is living in. We got there and in short order Paul found a 1940 Merc, after some clad and toy car parts a man on a tractor came up and asked us not to dig, it seems as though Paul’s friend was renting it and not the owner! The man was nice about it so we stopped. Paul’s friend then gave us a tip to an old abandoned church site. We went there and inquired at the nearest farmhouse about it. The owner of the house said he takes care of that property, keeping it mowed and keeping trash out so he said no problem to hunt it. In fact he got interested and came over and followed us around as we hunted. Paul struck first with an Indian head and then I found a piece of old costume jewelry Diane then found a part of a pocket watch case and shortly after that a artifact from a wagon, sort of a chain and a hook, the caretaker was fascinated by it so she gave it to him. Paul then scored another Indian and then I got a solid 12-43, 12-44 signal that sounded really nice and at 4” I dug a 1916 Barber. A bit later Paul got another Indian and that rounded out the hunt. The property caretaker had to go to work so we left but not before he invited us up to hunt his 19th Century house next week. I am going to bring my Ace 250 for him to use so he can take a turn at metal detecting. On the way home we stopped at a couple of parks where I picked up a wheatie. It was a very hot but satisfying day.[attachimg=1][attachimg=2]

Hunting With Bell-Two #55 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=glsW6S-GFOw#ws)

angellionel
07-17-2011, 06:01 PM
Good hunt, BT, ending with some nice keepers. That church site should be yielding more when you return. thumbsup01

BrunswickMd
07-17-2011, 06:13 PM
Sounds like a great and fun hunt. :clapping:

I'm new here on the forum and to mding - I appreciate that folks here share their entire experiences including how to properly interact with civilians and property owners. I'm seeing that that end of this pursuit is half the game.

Great job and happy hunting.

jkress
07-18-2011, 12:44 AM
Another nice hunt and very enjoyable video B-T.
Yep... I agree with Angel, there is more at the church site waiting for you to bring up.
Next time you are there, open your window for what you think is diggable. At least one
of those targets will be something you will be happy you decided to go after.
Congrats on the Barber. :clapping:

aloldstuff
07-18-2011, 10:40 AM
That old church site holds more goodies for ya, congrats on a great hunt

fsa46
07-18-2011, 12:12 PM
What an outstanding hunt....bet you can't wait to get back there and do some swinging. :daydream:

tanacat
07-18-2011, 01:41 PM
Very nice coins ya'll found there :clapping: Congrats on the Barber :yes: Sounds like a nice guy of a caretaker. Good luck at his house next week! Extra cool if he finds something good himself :)

Bummer about being kicked off that first property. It's happened to me quite a few times and hurts my feelings :crying02: Usually due to a real estate agent giving me the okay and then the owner shows up saying Nope, but I didn't give you permission...

leslie(nova scotia)
07-21-2011, 10:30 AM
From the land of the Bluenose.....way to go on the scalpers youz! barbers and First nation heads. Wondering iffen youz gut out of dere wid any hair? <;)

milco
07-21-2011, 01:18 PM
Great hunt and some nice finds!

coinnut
07-21-2011, 03:34 PM
Between the church and the old house, I don't know which one would get my blood pumping more lol You had a great hunt and some more in the near future it seems :thinkingabout: Hope it works out for all of you. :clapping:

Bell-Two
07-21-2011, 04:00 PM
Between the church and the old house, I don't know which one would get my blood pumping more lol You had a great hunt and some more in the near future it seems :thinkingabout: Hope it works out for all of you. :clapping:

Just talked to the farmhouse owner and we are tentatively set for a week from this Saturday pending his work schedule. We are hoping for better weather then too, today it is 98 with heat index of 115! :white:usaflag::