PDA

View Full Version : How many metal detectors do you own?

Viking
07-18-2011, 03:53 PM
I thought I'd give this poll option a try... I was curious as to how many metal detectors you guys own at the present time. I have two, an E-trac (main detector) and an Ace 250, used mainly for when a friend wants to come along on a hunt. Something tells me that some of you own a half dozen, while others only have their one and only :smitten:.

Let's see what the forum average is! Thanks for looking! thumbsup01

switch
07-18-2011, 05:49 PM
I just started a few days ago. I have an Ace 350 and a Pro Pointer. Already thinking of going to one of those crazy ones with all the audio tones, maybe an AT Pro. maybe. :grin:

Ill Digger
07-18-2011, 08:28 PM
I thought I'd give this poll option a try...

Let's see what the forum average is!
As gooda reason as any :yes: Good topic! It'll be interesting indeed :yes: :->

3. I still have the Prizm IV I started out with. My DFX and my newest weapon in the arsenal :beatdown: my E-Trac thumbsup01
Plus 2 Pro Pointers and a Bullseye PP but I didn't count those :dontknow: lol

coinnut
07-18-2011, 10:27 PM
Just two, but hopefully down to one very soon lol Gotta sell the old one :cheesysmile:

jkress
07-18-2011, 11:29 PM
Just two for me. The first one I bought and the last one I bought. I've let a few intrigued property owners
use my Ace while detecting with them. One guy I let keep it for a couple of weeks. He called one night quite excited
when he found a Mercury dime. Priceless. :yes:

fsa46
07-19-2011, 05:09 AM
Only one, my MXT Pro and I love it. That is why it is so hard to pull the trigger on purchasing an E-Trac that I really want.

All those beautiful finds that Angel, Paul and George post doesn't help the situation. :daydream:

Lowjiber
07-19-2011, 06:12 AM
I have seven. :rolleyes: Two are on loan right now.

My main detectors are...

A Gold Bug II that gets the majority of my swings. I hunt the desert for gold and meteorites.

An MXT (older version) with a SunRay probe that is always at the ready.

A V3i that is serial number 016 ...one of the original Visions. It also has a SunRay attached.

An M6 with Sunray attached...awesome coin machine.

Fisher F2 that I throw in the Jeep for impromptu hunts.

A Surfmaster with Mr. Bill's mods. (It's on loan right now because I hardly need it since I moved from the west coast.)

An Ace 250 (with SunRay) that I loan to company.

I recently sold my Detector Pro Wader to a member in California.

I don't think I'm a hoarder, but we hoarders rarely admit our little problem. lol

aloldstuff
07-19-2011, 10:15 AM
I currently have three, 2 Prizm IV's and a V3i.

CTDirtFisher
07-19-2011, 10:42 AM
I have two..

Minelab E-Trac w/Sunray Stock Coil, 5 Sun Ray Coil, 6X8 and 1:blackeye:12 SEF
White's Surf PI Dual Field Metal Detector

RobW
07-20-2011, 08:02 AM
I have 3

E-Trac
Garrett GTP 1350...I think I'm the only person who ever purchased this model...but it is a great all around detector
Garrett master Hunter 3...

I had a Master Hunter 7 and a garrett 250 stolen from my car several years back

Was thinking about adding a V3i...but after seening Al's issues.....I think I'll pass

aloldstuff
07-20-2011, 08:34 AM
I have 3

E-Trac
Garrett GTP 1350...I think I'm the only person who ever purchased this model...but it is a great all around detector
Garrett master Hunter 3...

I had a Master Hunter 7 and a garrett 250 stolen from my car several years back

Was thinking about adding a V3i...but after seening Al's issues.....I think I'll pass

Rob, you're just fine with the etrac. Told the factory that what really irked me was the fact that my hunting buddy with his Etrac was I told ya soing me.

whammy
07-20-2011, 02:09 PM
Good topic. I have a Vision, DFX, Eagle Spectrum, and a Prism. Also 2 Bullseyes and a propointer. BUT, if I had three or four more, then I would be a hoarder. :grin:

steve in so az
07-20-2011, 03:30 PM
I have 2 - both are Fisher 1266 X models. What else do I need :) Steve in so az

Bell-Two
07-20-2011, 06:48 PM
I have 4 an old Radio Shack that a the guy who runs the thrift store gave me for helping out fixing their bikes....took it out in the yard it beeped and then put it away lol

Ace 250 my first detector, just a really good detector which I have let others use.
Minelab X-Terra 705 which is really my wifes and she does great with it
Minelab E-Trac which is the berries! :loveit:

Tony Two-Cent
07-20-2011, 09:23 PM
Technically I have three, but only one that I use.

1. E-Trac

2. Bounty Hunter that my parents gave me for Christmas about 5 years ago. I hunted with it one time, didn't much care for it, put it away and forgot about it.

3. 1968 Garrett Hunter that was my father's. I have no idea if it would still power up.

itsaawgood
07-22-2011, 10:59 AM
Six here....see my sig. I think I need to thin mine collection out alittle so some are gonna go....at some point ;)

russellt
07-23-2011, 05:08 PM
i have owned as many as 3 at one time . currently i have a v3i and the prizm II i started with .. my son who is 6 now enjoys finding coins i throw in the yard with the P2..if he breaks it its no big deal you know :cheesysmile:

TC-NM
07-26-2011, 03:10 PM
I started detecting in 1974 :daydream: using various and heavy :lipssealed: detectors including Jetco, Whites & Garretts. Always wanted to try a Compass, but never purchased one.

Presently I have:

1) Original Whites Vision (pre V3) No. 82 off the assembly line. Great Detector!

2) Whites XL Pro (analog Meter) One hellava machine. Deadly accurate!

3) 6000/Di Professional (old blue box) As good as it gets for analog. . . Long live the 6000's!

Recently I just picked up a:

4) Tesoro Vaquero with stock coil. Nice and light. I think I'm going to like this one. ;)

TC-NM

MartinL
07-26-2011, 04:27 PM
Why own more than maybe 2 detectors? You normally get real good at using one primary detector after getting ised to the hobby...usually after the first cheapy detector you try, then buying the MAIN detector. Beyond that, aren't we just diluting our keen knowledge of how to read the main detector we got used to back then?

Sure, I can easily see owning many of these if the hobby has paid for itself already. That isn't the case with a lot of hunters though. I guess I don't see the purpose in owning various detectors, while one that one main unit will always get you to the treasure . Maybe it's like ladies buying shoes to some people.

I have 2 machines. First one got me hooked, the V3i INVESTED my money and I don't need another one. I just don't get it.

martin

silver star
07-26-2011, 06:06 PM
I have two Ace 250 and Ace250 rofl HH Mike

RobW
07-27-2011, 08:03 AM
Why own more than maybe 2 detectors? You normally get real good at using one primary detector after getting ised to the hobby...usually after the first cheapy detector you try, then buying the MAIN detector. Beyond that, aren't we just diluting our keen knowledge of how to read the main detector we got used to back then?

Sure, I can easily see owning many of these if the hobby has paid for itself already. That isn't the case with a lot of hunters though. I guess I don't see the purpose in owning various detectors, while one that one main unit will always get you to the treasure . Maybe it's like ladies buying shoes to some people.

I have 2 machines. First one got me hooked, the V3i INVESTED my money and I don't need another one. I just don't get it.

martin

It's like any other hobby, they keep coming out with newer, better models, and also we upgrade ($300 to $600 to $1000 to $2000) and you just don't want to get rid of your sweetheart that's been so good to you, and that's your primary back up for if your new sweetheart has to go to the shop (right Al?) then your previous back up isn't worth anything, so you just hang onto it...like all of that other stuff in your attic and garage. Also several of us do different types of detecting and some units are better for different types, such as water detecting.

I have plans to hang my retired detectors on my conference room wall, and put my finds in a display case there....then when clients come in,m they see my stuff, start a conversation, which opens the door to me getting to detect their land! :peace:

MartinL
07-27-2011, 05:27 PM
It's like any other hobby, they keep coming out with newer, better models, and also we upgrade ($300 to $600 to $1000 to $2000) and you just don't want to get rid of your sweetheart that's been so good to you, and that's your primary back up for if your new sweetheart has to go to the shop (right Al?) then your previous back up isn't worth anything, so you just hang onto it...like all of that other stuff in your attic and garage. Also several of us do different types of detecting and some units are better for different types, such as water detecting.

I have plans to hang my retired detectors on my conference room wall, and put my finds in a display case there....then when clients come in,m they see my stuff, start a conversation, which opens the door to me getting to detect their land! :peace:

Good points. I am as bad with my pool cues collected over the last 25 years for some of the same reasons, even though detectors are far more sophisticated compared to a wooden cue of different design. I can easily understand your points though. martin

martin

coinnut
07-27-2011, 08:44 PM
Some machines are just better for certain situations, like iron infested sites. But they may not be the best choice for a tot lot, or the beach. If I could afford a lot of them, I would have at least 3 or 4 lol It took me forever to finally get rid of that old White's Eagle I bought many years ago. I remember when it first come out.... a computer on a metal detector :shocked04: :shocked04: :shocked04: You get kinda attached to them and it takes a lot to let them go sometimes :daydream: :smitten: :smitten:

Dimeman
07-30-2011, 08:32 AM
In March I had bought 2 new ones which made my count at 4. When I got some use in on the 2 new ones, I sold the 2 older ones.
I am waiting to see what new ones come out this year...might get 1 more.

wingmaster
07-30-2011, 08:45 AM
I had to get another MXT as a backup, so I wouldn't be without a working MXT and I can loan it to someone wanting to go detecting. So I have 2 MXT's, I would put the MXT up against any detector for depth, once you get familiar with the MXT you can the get really deep targets on a regular basis.

kenfen
07-31-2011, 11:45 AM
Hi Folks,

I had three at one time, all Whites, but sold them off one by one. Just have the E-Trac and I'll not need another for a long time, I've not scratched the surface of what this fine machine will do yet.

Regards, Ken

Mudder
07-31-2011, 07:59 PM
Just one, I'm old and it is all that I can swing at any given time.nn <}

HEAVYMETALNUT
08-01-2011, 11:47 PM
i have 5 whites silver eagle,eagle spectrum,spectrum XLT.beachunter ID-300 and a minelab XS covered with dust

kamogawa
08-22-2011, 10:13 PM
Tesoro Tejon, Silver uMax, Compadre, Fishers F2, early 70s Garret TR non-discriminator & my original '74 detector from the Sears Toy Catalog.

would like to add a Pro-Pointer, Whites MXT Pro and Tesoro Sand Shark

Vito
08-26-2011, 11:23 AM
Was in the 5 row, but up to date there are three. And I think these three will cover all my needs.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Fisher CZ-70 Pro

Tesoro DeLeon

Whites MXT
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Only one thing to mention...not enough time to fullfill every one lol

[attachimg=1]

JTGOLD
08-26-2011, 11:46 AM
as of right now I have only one an M6, but may have two next month thinking of getting a VX3,only time will tell.

kamogawa
08-26-2011, 04:41 PM
If you get the new VX3, you will be be the chief advisor about here for everyone who is thinking about getting one. I wish I knew more about it to make a wise decision. I do like the fact that it is programmable.

BOWSER
10-06-2011, 07:18 PM
I love the classic whites so i would like to have a collection of the different models. Prism 11 mxt ace150 idx-pro.there are several detectors i would like to try.The prism 11 is the most fun to use and has found as much stuff as the others.

JTGOLD
10-06-2011, 10:13 PM
I've been hunting for almost 50 years now and never have owned more than one detector at a time,I never learned to hunt with one in each hand so I will just stick with my M6. |:cheering:

OxShoeDrew
10-07-2011, 12:09 AM
Just opened my new T2. <: Now I have 3 detectors.

RaZR
10-07-2011, 07:09 PM
I have 5 detectors! My first was a Bounty Hunter Jr. that i paid $50 to hunt for copper in Michigans upper penninsula. I have about 10 pounds in a bucket.
My latest is the E-Trac. I have an original Vision (#34) upgraded to V3i. A DFX that i use mostly with a Bigfoot coil to sweep large areas. And a BHID for working in the water. I had a prizm IV that i gave to my son in NC.
One is gonna go next season! crying01

TC-NM
03-01-2012, 11:52 AM
I started detecting in 1974 :daydream: using various and heavy :lipssealed: detectors including Jetco, Whites & Garretts. Always wanted to try a Compass, but never purchased one.

Presently I have:

1) Original Whites Vision (pre V3) No. 82 off the assembly line. Great Detector!

2) Whites XL Pro (analog Meter) One hellava machine. Deadly accurate!

3) 6000/Di Professional (old blue box) As good as it gets for analog. . . Long live the 6000's!

Recently I just picked up a:

4) Tesoro Vaquero with stock coil. Nice and light. I think I'm going to like this one. ;)

TC-NM

[size=1:crazy:t]Update:

I recently sold the 6000/Di Professional. . . I just don't want to be catagorized as a Hoarder! :behave:

zachattack
03-01-2012, 03:52 PM
I own one detector.......a strapping battle-tested ACE250!

....but I have been taking an occasional peek at minelab's website. It seems that they have a nifty little machine called an E-trac!!! hahahah thumbsup01

POKIE73
03-01-2012, 08:33 PM
at the moment i have 4 detectors brand new e trac whites xlt ace 250 and 150 latst one is for sale dennis

Rob L
03-01-2012, 09:32 PM
I've had five different ones ,but I'm down to two. An XLT and a DFX. I like both, but I think the DFX goes a little deeper. I've used the XLT more, and have made more finds with it, ButI haven't had the DFX as long. There both fine detectors. |:cheering:

PL8MAN
03-02-2012, 11:24 PM
I have two . My old Whites Quantum II and my M6 . Hoping to get a new MXT PRO in two months ! thumbsup01
Glen

CODY
03-03-2012, 09:51 AM
I have two. First was a Fisher F4. Then about six months later I got the Fisher F75 LTD SE. I am keeping the F4 for backup and to let the wife use if she decides to get involved.

Ytcoinshooter
03-07-2012, 07:45 PM
Six. I'll admit my XLT doesn't see enough action anymore but with the 6 Eliminator & Bigfoot coils there are special applications I keep it for.
Now the list: V3i, XLT w/Sunray, PI Pro, Sovereign GT, Fisher CZ20 10, Coinmaster Pro. PP's on hand - Detector Pro Pistol Probe (DEEP!), Garrett Pro Pointer, Vibra 460, classic target probe, DX-1. There is an assortment of break down rods for travel. 5 coils for the Sov GT, 4 for the V3i, 3 for the XLT and the rst just have the stock coils. Guess I like to be prepared. The other side of it is I always have a spare something if a friend has an equipment malfunction. Ok, I'm an addicted MD'er!

firstring
03-08-2012, 06:44 PM
Got my:
1. Teknetics 9000 COINCOMPUTER of days gone by. (The critter still works)
2. Whites DFX - which was my introduction in these new fangled, high tech
machines. (my backup)
3. Whites V3i - I started finding gold jewelry when I got it. A little intimidating at first glance, but with the counseling and advice of the people on this great forum, I've got to know it and has gotten to know me.

It's been said the best metal detector is one a person uses frequently. The owner knows its quirks and signals. I haven't got all the quirks and signals figured out, but I am sure having fun with it. It's an adventure every time I go out. Whatever detector you use, or how many you may have, I wish you all the best and happy hunting to all.

Zip Zip
03-12-2012, 06:11 PM
Just one (i couldn't check the box (without turning my eyes or what ever it said. Because i am having Carnal Thoughts over a TDI/sl) .Right now my classic 5 ID is at Mr Bills getting his upgrade. |:cheering:

plehbah
03-22-2012, 09:27 PM
I have 4 metal detectors now that work and get used. There are a couple of others that are beaten to death but I have to keep for sentimental reasons. I am sure many of you understand this. WE had some good times together.

Calibil
04-05-2012, 01:37 AM
I have 25, am I a horder? I have my favorites, seperated by use-land-park-low mineral soil-high mineral soil- gold hunting fresh-water-water beach-saltwater,silver/gold/clad, beep and dig or tid

Cheap Thrills
04-05-2012, 10:12 AM
cou
I have 25, am I a horder? I have my favorites, seperated by use-land-park-low mineral soil-high mineral soil- gold hunting fresh-water-water beach-saltwater,silver/gold/clad, beep and dig or tid

You could become a major outlet and give Kellyco a run for their money . lol

laserfeller
04-05-2012, 12:52 PM
I have a Teknetics arsenal.

Omega with 5'DD, 11&quot:grin:cheesysmile:, & 10 Elliptical coils
G2 with 5&quot:grin:cheesysmile: & 11&quot:grin:cheesysmile: coils
T2SE with 5&quot:grin:cheesysmile: & 11&quot:grin:cheesysmile: coils

traveler
04-22-2012, 01:47 AM
I have 4 all white's. 3 - 6000 di pros and one 6000 series 3 hip mount

CaptKirk
06-15-2012, 09:04 AM
I have owned several different brands over the years. First one was back in 1975 and it was a Bounty Hunter that I think I paid around $150 for. First coin I found with it was a '27 Buffalo nickel which I found in my mother-in-law's driveway in Coronado. Been hooked on detecting ever since! Currently I have 4 detectors. An older White's Eagle Spectrum, a Minelab ExplorerII, a new Garrett GTI1500 and a new Garrett Sea Hunter MarkII that I bought for the beaches around the area. NOW all I have to do is get out there and start swinging them!!

pulltabsteve
06-15-2012, 01:40 PM
M6, Etrac, PRL, F2, Prizm 2. Old whites 3900D blue box, metrotech

dpdave38
06-15-2012, 03:23 PM
Whites DFX, Whites V3i, Garrett Ace 250, XP Deus, Tesoro Tigershark, Etrac and I am doing my best not to buy the new 30-06, I mean CTX 3030 from Minelab.

milco
06-15-2012, 08:25 PM
Just one right now, but would like to upgrade and have my current machine for my oldest son to go with me.

freemindstuck
08-02-2012, 01:12 AM
Just one right now, my trusty V3I, but with this hot weather I've been eyeing a few water detectors.

Celluforce
08-04-2012, 04:44 AM
Right now, two... But I think I will get rid of my 2200 and find something that will go underwater...

Daniel <;)