PDA

View Full Version : Nice cellar hole hunt with DEL - I smell coppers

coinnut
01-16-2010, 06:47 PM
Went out to the site we found way back in the woods with high hopes of it being untouched rofl Needless to say it was hit pretty hard, and for good reason.The coins from there come out nice considering their age. I had a great relic day and a pretty good coin day (except for the Lincolns :ticked:) Found my first gun powder flask, gun butt plate, and full trigger guard. Old stuff ;) I thought the button with the male and female was the back side of a pocket watch, but instead turned out to be a nice 2 piece button with a iron back. Lots of reilics, and 2 coins, a 1787 Connecticut Copper :yes: and a gorgeous 1917 Type 1 Standing Liberty Quarter. True to form, I find modern silver at a colonial site lol
I had a great day and only had to chisel once :rolleyes:

del
01-16-2010, 07:00 PM
wow , talk about when its your day . great finds George there was some relics there i tell ya , is it me or is that a funny looking bust on that Connecticut copper :confused: or is it just the angle he looks like he's got a huge beak on his face .. that Quarter is by far one of the best i've seen in a long time , congrats on your great day buddy .

don't make it a habbit lol :poke: lol

John M
01-16-2010, 07:11 PM
Look at all those nice relics.The Ct Copper does look a little odd but could just be the wear.Good looking day in the woods George.

angellionel
01-16-2010, 07:37 PM
Excellent finds, George! Nice relics, but that standing liberty quarter is superb! Now I am itching to get out!

Epi-hunter
01-16-2010, 07:39 PM
Wow, terrific finds! I can't even imagine how exciting it must be to dig up stuff that old :shocked04:

That is one of the most beautiful SLQ's (modern silver rofl ) that I have ever seen.

MassDirtFisher
01-16-2010, 07:56 PM
Awesome finds!! Keep sniffin out those goodies!! Congrats!

del
01-16-2010, 08:08 PM
hey George that trigger guard looks to be around 1770's to about 1800 definately off an old musket type rifle , very sweet .

O.k. this was my take for the day but first i'll post a couple of area pictures to let you all see we were detecting in the (about 3 inches) snow like a couple of idiots lol lol my wife wants know when we are gonna grow up George . lol :bop: lol one shot is of the G-man doing his thang by the cellar and the other is the barn area . then my stuff for the day minus the garbage , the highlights for me was a real nice star patterned colonial button , part of a solid silver spoon bowl ( it ain't pretty but hey its silver and i'll take it ) some strange round item with the word tacit over a bust of a man wearing a helmet ( i have no clue yet ) and finally my first copper of the year an 1831 large cent .hope some of you took advantage of the milder temps (Bruce) and got out .

Dan

love2dig
01-16-2010, 08:31 PM
Dan - George - Looks like it was a very good day ! Great finds ! My spot was still too tough to dig today :( :( :(. So we did a little beach hunting instead.

Jeff

Epi-hunter
01-16-2010, 08:44 PM
Dan, I can just visualize your wife asking when you two are going to grow up rofl It looks like George is waist deep in snow in that photo lol

Congrats on that very nice copper and the button, and Wow, I want to know what the 'tacit' thing is! That is in beautiful shape! BTW, the copper seems in much nicer shape than those that usually come out of the ground around there....

angellionel
01-16-2010, 08:47 PM
Great stuff, Dan! That large cent held up very well. You guys had a fun start this year. thumbsup01

xzlr8n
01-16-2010, 08:52 PM
You guys are making think I should go out in the snow and have some fun :yes:. I really like the SLQ, real beauty :drool:. Congrats on a great day in the sun and snow!!

del
01-16-2010, 10:29 PM
Dan, I can just visualize your wife asking when you two are going to grow up rofl It looks like George is waist deep in snow in that photo lol

Congrats on that very nice copper and the button, and Wow, I want to know what the 'tacit' thing is! That is in beautiful shape! BTW, the copper seems in much nicer shape than those that usually come out of the ground around there....

thanks Angie , i'm very fortunate to be married to a great woman :yes: that has accepted my insanity :crazy: when it comes to detecting. lol lol

ya i don't know what George was doing there :confused: hey G what were you doing , making snow angels lol lol

Great stuff, Dan! That large cent held up very well. You guys had a fun start this year. thumbsup01

thanks you Angel , its just hit or miss with those coppers . it was just great to swing that coil for a while , i feel recharged :twirlingeyes: lol lol

You guys are making think I should go out in the snow and have some fun :yes:.

well thats what its all about isn't it , having some fun and a few laughs . :yes:

MassDirtFisher
01-16-2010, 10:32 PM
Pronunciation: \ˈta-sət\
Function: adjective
Etymology: Middle French or Latin; Middle French tacite, from Latin tacitus silent, from past participle of tacēre to be silent; akin to Old High German dagēn to be silent
Date: 1576
1 : expressed or carried on without words or speech <the blush was a tacit answer — Bram Stoker>
2 : implied or indicated (as by an act or by silence) but not actually expressed <tacit consent> <tacit admission of guilt>
— tac·it·ly adverb
— tac·it·ness noun

del
01-17-2010, 01:17 AM
thanks for the info Tim thumbsup01, now however i just have to figure out what it goes to lol

Krom
01-17-2010, 01:31 AM
K, CoinNut (an' Del... you can grab some of this, too)... you got this comin':
You suck! lol

HEAVYMETALNUT
01-17-2010, 05:53 AM
WOW! very nice day both of you!that site's gonna give up a few more coppers watch! thumbsup01 very nice stuff to say the least!
sniffy's pickin me up today and we found 2 new cellar holes..hope we have a day like you guys did!
how was the digging?
gonna miss my Dallas Cowboys game :crying02:

John M
01-17-2010, 08:03 AM
Looking at both posts that site has already given up some interesting items.Tried searching around but didn't get anything to help you i.d. that item Dan.

bmattioli
01-17-2010, 08:56 AM
Good stuff guys. The SLQ looks sweet.. Fast start on the coppers, nice job!

SpringTxDigger
01-17-2010, 11:19 PM
Beautiful finds. I love the SLQ. You guys are tough out digging in the snow. I'm glad we rarely get any of that stuff. I do wish we had cellar holes. WTG Guys.

HEAVYMETALNUT
01-18-2010, 09:03 AM
2 questions? how can you say that site was hit pretty hard?look at the finds that popped out.whoever hit it sucked badly as a detectorist.
is that CT copper a counterfeit perhaps? that shnoz is humungous! rofl

coinnut
01-18-2010, 04:22 PM
2 questions? how can you say that site was hit pretty hard?look at the finds that popped out.whoever hit it sucked badly as a detectorist.
is that CT copper a counterfeit perhaps? that shnoz is humungous! rofl

Dave, the targets that were large can be figured out to be large by pinpoint mode. There were also lots of large scrap signals too. The three coins found were just missed because of the huge fields to search. Everyone misses a couple of coins in that much area. A virgin site would have had coppers and some Spanish silver, along with buckles and large buttons all over the place, especially nearer the hole. We didn't get those. If it were unhit, I would expect at least a dozen coppers between the two of us. Only large targets, masked targets, or low conductive (Tombac Types) of targets were found. I'm sure the Conn copper was on edge. That's why I found it and they didn't. It wasn't hit well, since it in the middle of nowhere lol, but it was cherry picked for the coins, and better brass targets. And as for the nose on that Conn copper?? It's the Jimmy Durante version rofl I'll have to look it over better, sometimes corrosion makes coins look different than they are. But if it is a huge tunnel, it's probably a counterfeit :yes:

miller6670
01-23-2010, 04:23 PM
Wow, that's one of the better SLQ I have ever seen come out of the ground....You can see the date for Pete Sakes lol

coinnut
01-23-2010, 05:33 PM
Wow, that's one of the better SLQ I have ever seen come out of the ground....You can see the date for Pete Sakes lol

Yea, usually they are slugs lol But if you hit an area that was popular around 1920, then you have a better chance of finding ones with dates. If you hit a site that was popular in the 1940's you will still find them since they were in pocket change right up into the 60's, but they will be dateless :( This one was at a colonial cellar hole and was out of place there. It was most likely dropped by a hunter right around 1917, or 18. Now I think I'll go and polish it on my buffing wheel :shocked04: :crazy: Just kiddin'

KirkPA
02-05-2010, 05:20 PM
George,

You are still proving to be a copper magnet. Congrats on the awesome copper! Gotta love hunting the Colonial beast.

Kirk

coinnut
02-05-2010, 05:48 PM
George,

You are still proving to be a copper magnet. Congrats on the awesome copper! Gotta love hunting the Colonial beast.

Kirk

Thanks Kirk, We both had a good day and we are heading back there for our 4th visit to this site. So far 5 1/2 coppers have come out of the 2 cellar holes that are there. But it is a lot of work to find them, they hide well lol. Hope we have some nice relics to show everyone, if not it's Del's fault :poke: lol