PDA

View Full Version : odds of finding....

switch
07-19-2011, 09:47 AM
I was metal detecting a friends yard this weekend and found about 10 wheat pennies, would you say that the odds are in my favor that I will eventually find some silver as well?

The date ranges for the pennies are 1926 to 1957. :)

Viking
07-19-2011, 10:06 AM
Yes, your odds are good. I get the sense that the average wheat to silver ratio in most areas is about 7 wheats to 1 silver. Better get back out there...your next target could be a silver coin!

aloldstuff
07-19-2011, 10:11 AM
I'm in full agreement with Viking. Go back. What detector are you using??

switch
07-19-2011, 10:27 AM
I am using an Ace 350 with a Pro Pointer. Too bad I won't be able to get back out there for a few weeks. Should be plenty of time for all of my pot holes to heal though lol

Glad to know I have a chance at silver :grin:

I did find a really neat stick pin (missing the pin part)... Lion Buggy Co. :) I think it has to be pretty old...

aloldstuff
07-19-2011, 10:33 AM
Switch, I just googled Lion Buggy co and it came back as 1890's.

switch
07-19-2011, 10:36 AM
Switch, I just googled Lion Buggy co and it came back as 1890's.

I got that as well, thanks for looking :) ) but I have to assume that they lasted longer than a few years...I couldn't find examples of this particular pin or when they disbanded as a company or even if they did...I thought I also read somewhere that they switched to automobiles after the buggy market was replaced, again, not much info.

aloldstuff
07-19-2011, 11:57 AM
Ahhh the fun of our hobby. You find something then ya gotta research to find out what it is

switch
07-19-2011, 04:22 PM
Ahhh the fun of our hobby. You find something then ya gotta research to find out what it is

I know! The best part is all the research and history that you learn about.. I am already trying to work on Map overlays with old maps of a town I am detecting in... No luck yet on finding a map though. ;-)

aloldstuff
07-20-2011, 07:56 AM
Switch, you're on the right path. I am sure those maps exist.

switch
07-22-2011, 10:17 PM
Switch, you're on the right path. I am sure those maps exist.

I did manage to find a few survey maps going back to 1913 but the house is still there so I haven't been back far enough to see if there was anything else in its location... yet. :cool: Of course, I am assuming it is the same house...same house number, looks like the same shape from above..same lot size....

russellt
07-23-2011, 05:02 PM
the old addage still applies . where there is wheat there is silver ...... this is mostly true but not always in my experience

tanacat
07-24-2011, 07:26 PM
I have detected so many places where there were sooooo many wheats--- I'm like there's GOTTA be some silver around here too!!!... :hairpulling: >{ :dontknow:

tanacat
07-24-2011, 07:28 PM
I did find a really neat stick pin (missing the pin part)... Lion Buggy Co. :) I think it has to be pretty old...

Did you post a pic of it anywhere? I love old stuff like that- 1890's! Cool thumbsup01

switch
07-25-2011, 06:49 PM
Tana, here ya go. I guess I lied in my first post, I am sure this counts as my true first actual find. lol

This is about the size of a dime.

tanacat
07-25-2011, 07:30 PM
Love it! I've never seen one like it. I soak things like that in olive oil- over time it eats away corrosion and makes more visible. I bet if you put olive oil in the search box up in the upper right corner, it will take you to more posts on that... I like the cleaning and storage section of this forum :)

switch
07-25-2011, 08:20 PM
Love it! I've never seen one like it. I soak things like that in olive oil- over time it eats away corrosion and makes more visible. I bet if you put olive oil in the search box up in the upper right corner, it will take you to more posts on that... I like the cleaning and storage section of this forum :)

Maybe I will try olive oil. I tried peroxide on some pennies...I should have left them be. :rolleyes: right now the pin is sitting under glass. I rubbed it with oil just to try to stop any more rust...whether that will work or was a good idea...who knows..but it made sense to me. lol

tanacat
07-27-2011, 07:31 AM
I tried peroxide on some pennies...I should have left them be. :rolleyes:

Did you boil the peroxide and then let pennies soak for 15 minutes? To loosen the crud, then rub with baking soda? That's the way it was explained to me and does a great job.

I made the mistake of soaking my wheats in baking soda/water mixture overnight- it leached out the color, they ended up light pink!!!

switch
07-27-2011, 07:46 AM
Did you boil the peroxide and then let pennies soak for 15 minutes? To loosen the crud, then rub with baking soda? That's the way it was explained to me and does a great job.

I did. The problem is it worked way too well and took everything out...made them all pitted and *almost* unreadable. :( Never again will I do that. I will wait for the olive oil.