PDA

View Full Version : White's customer service Return & Replace

aloldstuff
07-19-2011, 11:59 AM
Just got off the phone with the factory and was told to return the unit with everything except the headphones and they will ship me a brand new unit V3i.
Also will reimburse me for shipping. Gotta love customer service

wingmaster
07-19-2011, 04:00 PM
Yep its the best for sure, glad to hear your being taken care of.

MANDAD76
07-23-2011, 05:34 PM
Can't beat that with a stick - not even a BIG stick!

leojack
07-25-2011, 01:46 PM
Hey Stuff: just sent mine in $35.00 from pa.+ins. How did whites reimburse these expenses. The V3i is less than a tear old so still warranted.Hope they get'er fixed I am a strong whites guy always have been and miss not being able to get out there.
Thanks for readng....jack from pa.

aloldstuff
07-25-2011, 02:39 PM
Hey Stuff: just sent mine in $35.00 from pa.+ins. How did whites reimburse these expenses. The V3i is less than a tear old so still warranted.Hope they get'er fixed I am a strong whites guy always have been and miss not being able to get out there.

I have not received any reimbusrement for shipping as of yet. In fact they won't get the unit till this Friday. I'll keep ya informed. I am having the new unit shipped to my work and I had put a note inside the box to send the shipping reimbusement to my home address.

aloldstuff
08-10-2011, 07:35 AM

Got the V3i on Monday and a reimbusement check on Tuesday

MartinL
08-10-2011, 03:13 PM
You were lucky IMO, congrats. I sent a lengthy e-mail to Whites in Oregon a while back giving details about the V3i I have with problems. I never heard a peep back. Sorry, I don't have faith in Whites with that kind of customer service, or lack of. Yea I could call them, and may in time ahead of the warranty going out(gotta another year left), but I am VERY reluctant to pack this thing up and ship it back on a whim that I will get good treatment, end up simply be out another 50 bucks(shipping there and back) and then possibly finbing myself, like some past owners I've read about, having to re-send the thing back because of the same pesky issues. I probably didn't help my case when I gave the opinion that any unit failing to be returned as satisfactory the first time, should be on a guarantee policy for either RMA with shipping paid, or a replacement. I didn't think that was so outta line to mention. Never got any response, only the flames from the White's groupies on line on another site.

Just venting, it's too hot to hunt and miss a good operating V3i so it doesn't really matter today. It is the principal of the thing though after not getting any response at all. martin

coinnut
08-10-2011, 04:58 PM
Sometimes I get frustrated too martin with the way big companies treat us. But Whites has made some strides and has in good faith done pretty well lately. Try them again and start fresh. Don't mention past errors on their part. Just ask them how to send it in and if they will reimburse the shipping costs. It doesn't do you any good having a machine that has not been made right. You also may consider some kind of swap for the VX3. I have heard lots of recent customers getting back their V3i's and loving them. Maybe they finally figured it all out. It was a major headache and now it's fixed. Try them again, but be gentle on them lol

MartinL
08-10-2011, 09:31 PM
Sometimes I get frustrated too martin with the way big companies treat us. But Whites has made some strides and has in good faith done pretty well lately. Try them again and start fresh. Don't mention past errors on their part. Just ask them how to send it in and if they will reimburse the shipping costs. It doesn't do you any good having a machine that has not been made right. You also may consider some kind of swap for the VX3. I have heard lots of recent customers getting back their V3i's and loving them. Maybe they finally figured it all out. It was a major headache and now it's fixed. Try them again, but be gentle on them lol

I appreciate your interest, as I always do when I see your posts. In my case, I have put in at least two hundred hours on this V3i, which means that I will not be beaten into re-investing into another, watered down version of my so called :usaflag:ship model(V3i), by buying again for a VX3.

I have heard lots of recent customers getting back their V3i's and loving them.

As far as this statement...well, I've noticed that a lot of those who posted and asked question about lemon V3i machines, have simply dumped them, or quit the hobby, or whatever. Let me say this another way, I see a very, very small sampling of people who were exctatic with their results on V3i returns, AFTER months of use. Almost all have gone silent, why? I say it is because of the shout-doun syndrome. Where the heck is Magic at these days? Why isn't Mel(Tailesman) touting his V3i these days? Bet Mell is using his otherr detectors instead, yet may use the V for tests. I think that you hear a lot about, recent customers getting back their V3i's and loving them, because it's a knee jerk piece of happiness just getting some kind of cheap satisfaction in a fast fix. Where do they go in replies for actually using their V3i units after a few months?

I kinda think that it is human nature for most of us American consumers to give up after the gracious gift from a manufacturer of replacing a defective unit, metal detector or whatever. I do feel also though, in the long run, that it also makes for a stale-sale down the road on a nother purchace from the same manufacturer. If the component does not hold up to expectations, that is. These days, people get satisfied with very little gratitude, such as what Whites has done for a selected group of troubled owners of their product. I am just not a fan of all the hoopla over Whites great CS. They failed me in more than one occasion, yet it only took the one to make all the difference. OK, I am done. I do appreciate your candor and patience CN. martin

CyberSage
08-10-2011, 10:50 PM
They are all still using their V3i's Martin. I had a lot of D2 coil problems, but those days are long gone. Whites service was always stellar through those troubling times. They are a good company. Give them another chance. What good is it using a defective detector? Send it in. You have a very large investment. Are you really going to let a little shipping charge stand between you and having enjoyable hunts, and good results? They have a great product that works well now. Join the club, and get back into what this hobby is all about. :yes:

Jack

MartinL
08-11-2011, 05:42 AM
You know,,,I basically understand where you are coming from Jack. It is those jagged emotions left after the so-called &quot:beerbuddy:est Customer Service, Bar None label that some Whites special treated customers have reported, that has me making the pen mightier than the sword efforts. When Whites failed to even acknowledge me after that serious, well written correspondence of mine...well, that gave me, an American consumer, the equal right to report negatives about Whites. As far as the shipping costs and biting the bullit on those fees, well, Mel sent his through three times before finally getting Whites to do right and replace the lemon. Mel got real mouthy ahead of that final result, and I applaud his results. I am simply expressing my own opinion. The real-deal IMPO that Whites should incorporate into their defective return policy, is that that they totally refund ALL shipping costs back to the consumer until the unit comes back top of the line and correct, ESPECIALLY when it is still under factory warranty. A world class company of any kind should agree with that, or else be ready for the flack for pulling up short, and maybe that wasn't the bottle neck between them and me after my correspondence, but I feel that people should be aware that Whites is not that perfect and stellar CS orientated service group that gets the headlines. There are dismal situations which Whites lets slide.

It's too darn hot to detect here anyway, but that does give me time to work the lame V3i operations using the power of the pen plus the internet. It is simply a plainly a simple case of a negative consumer review, on an open discussion site which doesn't rediculiously sway toward one manufacturer, like that other site. That is one thing I really like about the American Detectorist site...you don't get shut off for speaking a negative mindset simply because you insult a particular brand of metal detector.

Martin

aloldstuff
08-11-2011, 10:33 AM
After reading this whole post, I can't understand why MartinL got the treatment he did. All of my correspondene with White's was via the phone. Yeah I shipped it to Manassas at my expense and I did not think that was unreasonable. Maybe I am to laid back. Received the unit back and within a week I had the same problem. I called Manassas and he gave me Steve Howards phone nbr. I called Steve and explained my situation. I told him that I believe in the technology that the V3i offers but that I had lost faith in this particular unit. He said send it in and we will replace it, not fix it, replace it. I sent everything except the wireless headphone and the literature back. I asked for shipping reimbursement and got it. I for one, can only praise White's customer service for their handling of my situation. Well thats my point of view for what it is worth.

Al

rcasio44
08-11-2011, 12:46 PM
As far as this statement...well, I've noticed that a lot of those who posted and asked question about lemon V3i machines, have simply dumped them, or quit the hobby, or whatever. Let me say this another way, I see a very, very small sampling of people who were exctatic with their results on V3i returns, AFTER months of use. Almost all have gone silent, why? I say it is because of the shout-doun syndrome. Where the heck is Magic at these days? Why isn't Mel(Tailesman) touting his V3i these days?

Mel is still posting and using his V3i. Magic's absence has nothing to do with his detector. You are using general statements that have no fact. Could you please list the guys who have quit because of lemons. I would like to discuss their problems with them.

The bottom line is you are not happy and will not send it the detector so why not stop complaining. You don't make any sense. aloldstuff had a problem an solved his, why don't you?

leojack
08-11-2011, 02:05 PM
Howdy Folks sounds like differing opinions on the CS @ Whites.I dont have an opinion as my unit is in Sweet Home as I write this.I remain optimistic they will rite the thing.I called them when I lost my signal and could not regain it with adjustment.
They even talked me through a master reset,to no avail.They recommended I send it in and thats where I'm at.They seemed helpful and patient, and as I said I remain hopeful it will be fixed.I will offer my opinion pro/or con based on the results when the V3i comes home.....Jack from Pa

aloldstuff
08-11-2011, 03:03 PM
Howdy Folks sounds like differing opinions on the CS @ Whites.I dont have an opinion as my unit is in Sweet Home as I write this.I remain optimistic they will rite the thing.I called them when I lost my signal and could not regain it with adjustment.
They even talked me through a master reset,to no avail.They recommended I send it in and thats where I'm at.They seemed helpful and patient, and as I said I remain hopeful it will be fixed.I will offer my opinion pro/or con based on the results when the V3i comes home.....Jack from Pa

Lost my signal also, or should I say the top of the screen (VDI, target ID, depth), shut it down, removed battery, turned it back on, same response. Got the unit home, recharged batteries, turned it on, everything seemed okay but a quarter was VDIing at 18. Sent it in and they told me that they replaced the controller board (?, I am by no means a technical guy). Less than a week later I had the same symptons. Thats when I asked for a new one. Now this new one (took it out last night) seems aokay. found 3 wheats and everyone of them had a nail with it. I also noticed that when I put the battery pack in it, it goes in tighter, and it locks down harder than before.

Hope all goes well with your machine. Keep us posted

Epi-hunter
08-11-2011, 09:33 PM
...you don't get shut off for speaking a negative mindset simply because you insult a particular brand of metal detector.

The highlighting is mine.

Martin, while we welcome honest and considerate reviews and opinions of all brands of detectors, insulting a particular brand of metal detector is absolutely not allowed here. I just want to clarify the difference.

You have, in many past posts, made your point about your experiences with your machine and White's in general. I do not think it needs to be further belabored, as your stance is more than clear. Unless you have further experiences that you wish to share (eg, should you wish to send your machine to the manufacturer to be fixed, and then have additional feedback about that), this topic of conversation has already been adequately covered and should now be dropped.

Thank you.

MartinL
08-11-2011, 09:44 PM
The highlighting is mine.

Martin, while we welcome honest and considerate reviews and opinions of all brands of detectors, insulting a particular brand of metal detector is absolutely not allowed here. I just want to clarify the difference.

You have, in many past posts, made your point about your experiences with your machine and White's in general. I do not think it needs to be further belabored, as your stance is more than clear. Unless you have further experiences that you wish to share (eg, should you wish to send your machine to the manufacturer to be fixed, and then have additional feeback about that), this topic of conversation has already been adequately covered and should now be dropped.

Thank you.

So it is perfectly OK to glorify a manufacturer like it is a God but not OK to counter-express about troubles from that same manufacturer?

I do see your point of view though. See ya. martin

angellionel
08-11-2011, 10:06 PM
So it is perfectly OK to glorify a manufacturer like it is a God but not OK to counter-express about troubles from that same manufacturer?

I do see your point of view though. See ya. martin

Martin, the point is that you have already made your opinion more than known on many occasions, so there is no need to continue. Your continuing to do so will only come across as bashing, and that is simply not allowed here.

We do encourage comparative reviews and discussions, and while there will certainly be differing opinions, all such comparative discussions, reviews, or negative experiences need to be conducted in a respectful manner. We do not believe in giving any manufacturer a free pass. If the service is lousy, or if there is a problem with a particular machine, members are encouraged to discuss such. Else, how is a manufacturer to correct a problem if they don't know about it? At the same time, however, praise should be given where such praise is warranted.

showard
09-02-2011, 01:23 PM
Howard Here, White's Customer Service. I am concerned... I have heard several times recently customers have called or e-mailed and not received a response. White's takes pride in responding to the good, the bad, and the ugly issues, regardless. Checking with our computer experts I have found in some cases we did not in fact receive anything from e-mail addresses that believe they sent to us. I'm told like regular mail, E-mail sent is not always received by the intended recipient. If you feel you have not received a response, or are not satisfied with a response from White's, Please let me know at my e-mail address <showard@whiteselectronics.com>, or call me 1-541-367-6121 ext 135. Metal detectors are not magic boxes, and I'm no magician. Sometimes the answer is unknown as to the whys and differences between models. But if you have an issue you would like White's to look into for you... please do let me know.
Sincerely
Steve Howard
White's USA

del
09-02-2011, 02:12 PM
Howard Here, White's Customer Service. I am concerned... I have heard several times recently customers have called or e-mailed and not received a response. White's takes pride in responding to the good, the bad, and the ugly issues, regardless. Checking with our computer experts I have found in some cases we did not in fact receive anything from e-mail addresses that believe they sent to us. I'm told like regular mail, E-mail sent is not always received by the intended recipient. If you feel you have not received a response, or are not satisfied with a response from White's, Please let me know at my e-mail address <showard@whiteselectronics.com>, or call me 1-541-367-6121 ext 135. Metal detectors are not magic boxes, and I'm no magician. Sometimes the answer is unknown as to the whys and differences between models. But if you have an issue you would like White's to look into for you... please do let me know.
Sincerely
Steve Howard
White's USA

Hello Steve ,
first just let me say thank you for posting here and i would agree with you about Whites customer service is without a doubt one of the best . I personally have no complaints when it comes to that but I am very saddened about how some serious questions or constructive criticism about certain product Whites makes is handled by your company. Legitimate issues when brought forth have gone unanswered , ignored , or responded with a just return the product for a another and no explanation of the actual question is ever uttered just to be forgotten and then convienently swept under the rug so to speak. This really bothers me greatly with doing additional business with that company because the lengths it will go just to avoid a little bad PR , if a product has maybe a defective part or poor design I could respect the company more if it came right out and admitted it , told me it was correcting the issue and then supply me with another. I really don't blame you personally Steve and your probably unaware of this I'm sure and I'm sorry if this comes out a little course but its been a subject stuck in my craw for some time now and well you asked.

Respectfully

Dan

showard
09-02-2011, 06:04 PM
Thank you Dan and I do appreciate your frankness.

Many models today you would not believe the software code and how much can be related to it. Often we just don't know if it is a glitch in loading the code in its entirety, a chip issue, an intermitted hardware glitch, or not, and to go through the code line by line would take a though sands of man hours, not cost effective. To simulate or reproduce a hardware spike, could be impossible, but rest assured a customer who had one will have another. So... often better and less expensive from a service stand point to take the users word for it replace, and thus resolve. Even if it means we never really put our finger on the issue. The common problems will show in the overall statistical analysis's and thus be corrected. So... if it doesn't work for the user, it doesn't work.

Then their is also a human factor. If it is believed it doesn't work, often no amount of explanation or parts replacement will convince otherwise. Without confidence in the unit, all is lost.

So a big part of your concern is simply our position of taking the users word for it and thus not being left with much of a viable explanation.

Then there is also the issue, manufactures still feel forums like this our for customers to talk to each other. When not ask directly, there is some reluctance to respond to questions ask of others. Sort of like if a person feels they have an issue with a product but they choose to never ship it in for service, they have purposely choose to have an ongoing issue, they obviously don't want to have it resolved. They are free to choose that for themselves if that is what makes them happy.

Howard

showard
09-02-2011, 06:25 PM
PS, I'm new here so think I missed the significant issues you are talking about. Please ask me now. <showard@whiteselectronics.com>

Sincerely
Howard

del
09-02-2011, 07:34 PM
PS, I'm new here so think I missed the significant issues you are talking about. Please ask me now. <showard@whiteselectronics.com>

Sincerely
Howard

Yes , your new here but my issue was with the early 6x10 coils and I asked on your company's forum and was snubbed without an explanation , not even a reply or pm . I tried another attemped and was informed by a moderator that someone would get back to me and later they just locked the thread and deleted it all together . My question to Carl or anyone that could answer was this , was there an issue with the early 6x10 coils , did any have a flaw whether in the windings or the epoxy . What i described on a thread there was , myself and more than a few other fellow hobbists all had these coils and while they worked great , they also all seemed to have problems around the same time after about a year and a half to two years of usage . There was a interesting idea floating around that the epoxy whites used in these coils had an expanding and or shrinkage problem and that it eventually pulled at the coil windings which made them erratic or unbalanced . I wasn't looking for a freebie or replacement coil just an honest answer Steve , I liked the coil but didn't want to shell out more money if I felt like the same thing could happen to the new one . Hey while your add it how about the low down on the early D2 coils as well , I've talked to loads of guys who had to replace them too. Honesty goes alot farther than you think with good folks like us .

Dan

del
09-05-2011, 01:09 PM
wow Steve the silence is deafening :eyebrow:

hmmm , this was almost the same kind of treatment i got on the whites forum :rolleyes: .

showard
09-06-2011, 12:37 PM
Sorry, had a long weekend in there.

Epoxy issues are difficult, hard to prove out, and we fear can often be a scape goat for other issues.

Search coils are where the rubber hits the road, always has been and always will be the #1. service issue. When you buy a good car and drive, drive, drive, if everything goes right... tires will be the first service issue you will encounter, be it wear, damage, or defect. Same with search coils.

White's continuously studies and makes changes to our search coils (both design and build techniques) however, at no point in recent years has search coil issue been statistically significant.

Differing opinions, technical or otherwise, can be difficult to sort out when the answer is not something that can be stated by anyone with a real degree of certainty.

It is deceiving, the forums that is. Consider very few metal detector users participate on any of the metal detecting forums. I know that is difficult to grasp for those who do. However, looking at sales/detector users vs. forum participation, few metal detector owners / users (less than 1%) talk publicly about metal detectors or anything. So if everyone who every participated on any metal detector forum ever, all had the same issue, yes it would be a public relations concern and would get engineering attention, but statistically from a service / failure perspective, it would be an insignificant representation of the actual metal detector users we know. Not much of a consolation if it is you who have the issue...I know.

White's 6 X 9 is not an epoxy filled search coil design thus epoxy can not be an issue with this search coil.

White's 6 X 9 is an old school hard foam frame construction search coil. Again, although statistically insignificant, White's does study all failures for improvement. Most of the issues with the 6 X 9 are related to hard foam deterioration/wear, or changing electrical physics over time (holding original tune). We have recently made some changes in curing / tuning processes hoping to improve search coils holding tunes over time. However, without a time machine, difficult to prove.

White's likes facts, traditionally likes to know for sure prior to any debate. Some things simply can not be known for sure.

Howard

del
09-06-2011, 01:37 PM
Steve your a standup guy , I very much appreciate you returning to the forum and being forthright with me and our members about this subject . please disregard my last comments up above as it can be very frustrating to frequently have questions go unanswered , I apologize to you sir . I agree with you that forums can be a great way to communicate , bounce ideas and get a real feel for a significant number of consumers who probably use their machines more regularly and know them better than most. we here at American Detectorist do not promote detector bashing of any kind but do encourage honest , open and respected discussions on the good , bad and even the ugly when it comes to all detectors nor do we endorse any one brand over another here . the information that comes from these discussions can be very valuable to our forum newbies , experienced detectorists and detector manufacturers as well. thanks you for your time and insight and hope you drop in from time to time and share the workings with us and can answer some questions when they come up.

Dan

CyberSage
09-06-2011, 01:46 PM
Yes, thank you Steve for your presence here on the forum. It is greatly appreciated.

Jack

leojack
09-21-2011, 03:17 PM
:cheering:Hey all:Just rec'd my replacement V3i from sweet home.Customer service was exceptional.The unit failed a year into the warranty and Sweet Home took a shot at repair,and 2nd time out it failed again.The new unit arrived today two days after my report.IMO You just cant find that kind of service these days even from your local dry cleaner,let alone a company 3000 miles away.Whites owners rest easy you are in good hands..........jack from penna