PDA

View Full Version : Detecting in Public

bob_e99
07-19-2011, 04:17 PM
I think that I may have a potential site to detect. We have in town some old rail tracks that were laid down in the late 1800 as I recall reading. Many sections have been removed but there are still long parts of it that has nice grassy areas next to it. Even if this area has been fixed in any way, it hasn't been for a long, long time and the town still mows the grass. The one caveat to this location, and this may seem silly to many of you, is that it is located right next to a major road (a lot of traffic) and there would be a lot of rubber necking as people drove by. I was curious to know how many people would still go ahead and detect the area despite the public view. I'm working up the courage to do it but don't know if I can. I've gotting better in parks while the crowds are small and not sure I'm ready for prime time.

Thanks

BOWSER
07-19-2011, 04:32 PM
The public be dammed

dave in iowa
07-19-2011, 04:35 PM
Headphones on , eyes to the ground , most the time i dont even know anybodies there

Viking
07-19-2011, 04:38 PM
I struggle with the same thing sometimes. The shyness is wearing off, but I still try to do the bulk of my detecting at sunrise and after a rain. That seems to keep people indoors, plus it's generally not as hot outside.

I have found that my bashfulness wears off immediately after digging up one good find though. After that, I don't care who's watching, I just want to find more! :drool:

bob_e99
07-19-2011, 05:08 PM
Thanks everyone for the quick replies. I will add it to my very short list of sites and will definitely do it.
I honestly don't don't think they have changed the grading since the tracks were put in so I'm hoping that if there is anything there, it could be old.

I struggle with the same thing sometimes. The shyness is wearing off, but I still try to do the bulk of my detecting at sunrise and after a rain. That seems to keep people indoors, plus it's generally not as hot outside.

I have found that my bashfulness wears off immediately after digging up one good find though. After that, I don't care who's watching, I just want to find more! :drool:

Sounds just like me. :)

steve in so az
07-19-2011, 05:43 PM
Why be concerned about people you don't know and will probably never see again ? steve in so az

BOWSER
07-19-2011, 08:22 PM
one word of caution,if you are too close to the public there will always be 1 nit wit that will throw something at you.

jkress
07-19-2011, 09:10 PM
This is something that will bother you less and less every time you go out.
I understand what you are feeling... we've all been there before. That feeling will fade.
Sounds like a great place for some keepers. thumbsup01

coinnut
07-19-2011, 09:36 PM
Even if they rubber neck, they can't stop and say anything without getting slammed from behind lol So I think you are safe in that respect. But I would add that you should be watchful of them hitting you. I would try and face them as I do the first couple of passes closest to the road.

wingmaster
07-19-2011, 11:45 PM
As long as you cut nice plugs and not hurting anything, they don't own it so I'm not bothering anyone, who cares what they think. Some people just like to think they own everything and everybody is bothering them. I have came acrossed some people like that before but thankfully not very often, most people are just curious if your finding anything good though.

BrunswickMd
07-21-2011, 10:33 PM
I share your uncertainty - I want to do this right - there are a lot of considerations.

Mudder
07-22-2011, 05:08 AM
It would have bothered me at first, but no longer, just don't get too close to the road. :frozen:

milco
07-24-2011, 05:53 PM
Like others have said, coil to the soil and head to the ground. Hunting in high traffic areas has never bothered me, but I can understand how it would to some.

bob_e99
07-25-2011, 12:15 PM
Thanks everyone for the encouragement. I went out and detected along the tracks and found that what I really need is to curb my enthusiasm. Right below the grass which is growing in about an inch of soil, is what looks like a very deep cinder base. Also to my chagrin, I was finding crushed soda cans down at about six inches which was not a good sign. After about an hour and a half, all I had to show was one clad quarter so I decided to move on to another site on my list which also didn't pan out.

It is a fairly long stretch so I may do it again in the future since it's so close. In the meantime, I feel good that I took that first step to detecting in public.

Thanks again.

coinnut
07-30-2011, 07:47 PM
Thanks everyone for the encouragement. I went out and detected along the tracks and found that what I really need is to curb my enthusiasm. Right below the grass which is growing in about an inch of soil, is what looks like a very deep cinder base. Also to my chagrin, I was finding crushed soda cans down at about six inches which was not a good sign. After about an hour and a half, all I had to show was one clad quarter so I decided to move on to another site on my list which also didn't pan out.

It is a fairly long stretch so I may do it again in the future since it's so close. In the meantime, I feel good that I took that first step to detecting in public.

Thanks again.

Too bad about them sites. It takes a good long list of places to hunt, just to get one or two of them to work out. But it is finding one or two of them great sites that keeps us going lol Who knows, there may be a spot at that place that doesn't have the cinder base. It may pan out for you yet.

kenfen
07-31-2011, 11:43 AM
Hi Guys,

I just go to a place in the park where there's no people. The parks here are so huge, it's very easy to do. I know what you mean about this issue. I don't like to be bothered and I always avoid people. They leave and then I go where I want.

First post of the season....

Regards, Ken

BHNugget
08-02-2011, 08:41 PM
I guess Ive got a lucky curse.The I dont give a rats a** what people think curse. :grin:

bob_e99
08-03-2011, 06:56 AM
I guess Ive got a lucky curse.The I dont give a rats a** what people think curse. :grin:

Could you be related to my wife?

lol

CTDirtFisher
08-03-2011, 07:08 AM
Go get the goodies... 99% of the people won't even notice you....

GO GO GO GO GO GO GO GO GO GO GO GO GO GO GO GO... I want to see goodies posted...

You still here... get your a$$ over there !! :peace:

Paul

Lowjiber
08-03-2011, 07:21 AM
Why be concerned about people you don't know and will probably never see again ? steve in so az

Don't let anyone live in your head without paying rent.

2Old
08-03-2011, 11:04 AM
Hi Guys,

I just go to a place in the park where there's no people. The parks here are so huge, it's very easy to do. I know what you mean about this issue. I don't like to be bothered and I always avoid people. They leave and then I go where I want.

First post of the season....

Regards, Ken

No People = No Drops .... Hunt areas where there has been a bunch of people!!

Kimster
08-05-2011, 10:51 AM
Once you start finding things in this location, you'll forget all about the curious looks. One of the first places I ever detected was just adjacent to a major intersection here in the town where I live. I forgot about the stares when I started finding stuff. I do have a little difficulty with tot lots and feel a little like I'm making a spectacle of myself. But again, when I start finding things, I forget about the odd looks. The one thing I can't handle is when the kids in the tot lot take an interest and follow me around like the pied piper. That's when I've got to leave. I find it easier to detect with my partner under circumstances of high visibility. There's something about having another person close by making a spectacle of themselves that relieves a lot of my anxiety under these situations. If you find you just can't stand doing it by yourself, get a partner to share the public exhibition. :)

aloldstuff
08-05-2011, 11:10 AM
I have made some great finds out in the public. Don't worry about the prospective metal detectorists just dying to ask you a hundred questions. Be thankful that they are in their cars and just driving by.

russellt
08-06-2011, 05:14 PM

x2. i have the same illness

bob_e99
08-08-2011, 04:41 PM
Thanks again for all the replies and the support. I am getting better. I went out Saturday morning and I don't know if they came to watch me or take a coffee break, but at 6:20AM, a police car came into the park where I was detecting and parked a bit away from me. They watched for about 35 minutes and then left. I just kept hunting and figured that if they didn't want me there, they were going to have to get out and tell me. Later (fortunately as I was getting ready to leave) I gained a shadow. A seven or eight year old came up to me and wanted to know if I was looking for treasure chests. He then stuck to me like glue to a point where he would stick his hand in the hole to remove dirt. Fortunately all I found was a penny while he was with me and then told him I had to leave.

I can only imagine what stories can be told by people who have been doing this for a lot longer. I may have to get back to the woods where I only have to worry about skunks, poison ivy, ticks and mosquitos. None of them ever asked me any questions.

lol

coinnut
08-10-2011, 06:34 PM
Later (fortunately as I was getting ready to leave) I gained a shadow. A seven or eight year old came up to me and wanted to know if I was looking for treasure chests. He then stuck to me like glue to a point where he would stick his hand in the hole to remove dirt. Fortunately all I found was a penny while he was with me and then told him I had to leave.

lol I can remember being that young boy doing the exact same thing 8/ Now I know the other side of the coin. I was bugging someone rofl I never did find a good way of telling someone to keep their hands out :girlcry: It's my penny :bop: lol All in a day's work in the public eye. :clapping: I too hide in the woods :shocked01:

Cheap Thrills
08-11-2011, 01:37 AM
Just once.............

I would like a spectator to ask what is the worst thing you have ever found ?
or some passerby kid going by repeating peeb ,peeb, peeb , peeb
or some parent say leave that old man alone he's trying to do his thing in peace
or have the kids throw dollar coins in front of my detector instead of zincs.
I guess there's about as much of a chance of these things happening as there is of achieving world peace . :thinkingabout:

OxShoeDrew
08-11-2011, 12:03 PM
Headphones on , eyes to the ground , most the time i dont even know anybodies there

I have to concentrate so hard trying to coax high sounds that I forget where I am. :groovy:

tanacat
08-11-2011, 05:14 PM
Sometimes in high traffic areas I use orange :usaflag:s to make people think I work for the city lol Stick a few in the ground - you can use them to actually grid your areas and have some sticking out of your belt.

I've had quite a few people think I was weed eating- one woman said wow, that is the quietest weed eater I've ever seen... rofl

This has been an interesting thread. I admit I'm a little shy when it comes to MDing- I like my peace and quiet. I've learned to stay away from tot lots with lots of kids (if not in the mood to have 20 kids following you around asking questions).

Btw, I have a funny thread on here somewhere about 'what comments have you heard while detecting'. I'll try to find it :)

Here it is: [url=http://www.americandetectorist.com/forum/index.php?topic=1030.msg12948#msg12948]http://www.americandetectorist.com/forum/index.php?topic=1030.msg12948#msg1294:dontknow:/url]

bob_e99
08-13-2011, 01:24 PM
:clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

Thank you for posting the link to that thread. It is priceless and I think there could be a book/movie in there somewhere.

rofl

Simply great!

tanacat
08-13-2011, 02:00 PM
:clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

Thank you for posting the link to that thread. It is priceless and I think there could be a book/movie in there somewhere.

rofl

Simply great!

:) Thanks! I had fun re-reading it myself yesterday (over a year later) some really funny stories lol

I'm glad you started this thread. Have you bought some little orange :usaflag:s yet? :eyebrow: lol

bob_e99
08-15-2011, 05:57 AM
:yes: :yes:

I think the idea of the orange :usaflag: is ingenious. I will definitely pick some up and keep them handy.

Thanks for the idea.

thumbsup01