PDA

View Full Version : Tweaking

RobW
07-20-2011, 08:35 AM
I was detecting over the weekend at a park with Al. I made a surface find of a silver hoop earing, but it did not sound off on my machine...whick irked me...so I switched to all metal, figured the coordinating fe/co numbers. I then thought to myself, if I'm missing this, what else am I missing. So I opened her up a bit....shortly thereafter I found 2 early wheats at solid 20-43 and 20-41. I previously would have missed them, as it was not opened that much.

However, I do notice A LOT more chatter, have to go SLOWER, and digging more stuff

coinnut
07-20-2011, 08:52 AM
I was detecting over the weekend at a park with Al. I made a surface find of a silver hoop earing, but it did not sound off on my machine...whick irked me...so I switched to all metal, figured the coordinating fe/co numbers. I then thought to myself, if I'm missing this, what else am I missing. So I opened her up a bit....shortly thereafter I found 2 early wheats at solid 20-43 and 20-41. I previously would have missed them, as it was not opened that much.

However, I do notice A LOT more chatter, have to go SLOWER, and digging more stuff

Rob, There is always a trade of when using discrimination, especially when iron trash can be involved. The coin type pattern is designed to allow you to cover much more ground, while getting minimal iron. So for large fields or parks, it is a great program. But you can lose some targets depending on which way you hit them. I have had wheats and Indians hit all over the place. Since I have a pretty wide open pattern, I was able to hear them. I have noticed when a target comes in at say 20-41 and turns out to be wheat penny, it is usually because of some form of iron trash nearby. If you approach it from a different angle, it reads 12-41. Direction plays a huge part of missing targets. There is however, more chatter with an open pattern. Even though I love my fairly open pattern using TTF for my relic hunts, I always switch to a modified coin pattern in Multi-Conductive for a park hunt. This method has worked for me so far. I'm sure I miss things, but as I gain experience, I tweak my patterns. Hopefully, I have reduced the amount I leave behind.

angellionel
07-20-2011, 10:51 AM
Were you using the factory coin discrimination pattern? As George pointed out, on such targets very often the Fe numbers will hang closer to the mid-20's range, with perhaps some bounce to the 12 line. Rejecting those higher numbers could result in missed deep targets.

The pattern I have been using, which I have tweaked even more, has been working well at trashy sites and on very deep targets. Discriminating the lower portion rejects iron. The discriminated top portion of the pattern is not as tight as I had it, but it still reduces much of the iron falsing you may encounter from very deep iron, while allowing for detection of a wider range of targets in that upper range. At higher sensitivity chatter may be more pronounced depending on EMI or soil mineralization levels. Adjust the sensitivity until you are at a tolerable range.

Give it a try and see if it helps.

[attachimg=1]

These are the discriminated FE/CO numbers:

01-01 through 01-35
02-01 through 02-31
03-01 through 03-31
04-01 through 04-22
05-01 through 05-22
06-01 through 06-16
07-01 through 07-16

28-01 through 28-50
down to
35-01 through 35-50

The entire Co 50 line is also rejected.

RobW
07-25-2011, 07:58 AM
Very cool! Thanks for the advice! thumbsup01

Tony Two-Cent
07-30-2011, 10:46 AM
Were you using the factory coin discrimination pattern? As George pointed out, on such targets very often the Fe numbers will hang closer to the mid-20's range, with perhaps some bounce to the 12 line. Rejecting those higher numbers could result in missed deep targets.

The pattern I have been using, which I have tweaked even more, has been working well at trashy sites and on very deep targets. Discriminating the lower portion rejects iron. The discriminated top portion of the pattern is not as tight as I had it, but it still reduces much of the iron falsing you may encounter from very deep iron, while allowing for detection of a wider range of targets in that upper range. At higher sensitivity chatter may be more pronounced depending on EMI or soil mineralization levels. Adjust the sensitivity until you are at a tolerable range.

Give it a try and see if it helps.

[attachimg=1]

These are the discriminated FE/CO numbers:

01-01 through 01-35
02-01 through 02-31
03-01 through 03-31
04-01 through 04-22
05-01 through 05-22
06-01 through 06-16
07-01 through 07-16

28-01 through 28-50
down to
35-01 through 35-50

The entire Co 50 line is also rejected.

Duly noted and saved. Posts like this are gold to me! thumbsup01

RobW
08-01-2011, 09:49 AM
Duly noted and saved. Posts like this are gold to me! thumbsup01

More like silver and copper rofl

It's a part of why I keep coming back.....learning from my comrades at arms thumbsup01

Tony Two-Cent
08-02-2011, 09:35 PM
Well, I'm pretty proud of myself. I just created and saved the above discrimination pattern, my first attempt at such a task.

Now if only the ground weren't as hard as concrete so I could try it out. :(