PDA

View Full Version : Colonial Hunting with Del

coinnut
07-23-2011, 04:51 PM
We knew it was gonna be a hot one again today, so we started out early. By sun up we were at a familiar pair of cellar holes. One of them has given Dan some nice knee buckles and a nice CT copper on a prior hunt. The other has produced some large cents and Indians, plus a good amount of buttons too. So we get there and I immediately go to the nail infested area, so I can work the null. I am surprised that I hit a target immediately - part of a pocket knife (side panel). Second target follows just a couple of feet up and is a real nice early 1 pc decorated coat button. thumbsup01 Third target is just a couple more feet up and is really 3 targets in one, although I didn't know it at the time. Out pops a bit of tin :confused: The reading was higher than that. The second target reads 12-39, 12-40 and I didn't even give it a thought, since there is a lot of scrap at this site. Out pops a ............1838 Seated Half Dime :girlcry: :girlcry: :girlcry: |:confused:) |:confused:) |:confused:). So I look at it and I have to laugh. I'm saying so it is gonna be that easy today?? Not even ten minutes into the hunt and I get a Seated Half Dime already. :dontknow: The third target in the hole was a bit of lead. The rest of the day I spent digging every iffy target I could (some real, some imaginary) lol Ended up with some nice buttons and other assorted stuff. The 1838 is in real nice shape, probably dropped brand new except for one little flaw :hairpulling: :hairpulling: :hairpulling: Someone put the letter A (for America?) on it. Not only on the obverse, which he engraved quite nicely, but again on the reverse too. >{ >{ But still a beauty and I am happy that both of us had 1 nice keeper each today. Dan's is gonna be a beauty I think :clapping:

Here's the junk first

[attachimg=1]

And some of the better stuff

[attachimg=2]

Half dime still dirty

[attachimg=3]
[attachimg=4]

And now clean, you can see the letter A nicely engraved

[attachimg=5]
[attachimg=6]

Viking
07-23-2011, 05:38 PM
That's what I'd call a keeper! Isn't that the whole point of our hobby, to rescue as many keepers as possible? Great job! :perfect10:

Epi-hunter
07-23-2011, 05:55 PM
Wooo hooo!!! :happydance01: happydance02 :peace: :clapping: Nice finds, but that half dime is EXCELLENT!! :cheering: Too bad about the 'A' but it's otherwise beautiful!!

del
07-23-2011, 05:56 PM
:shocked01: :shocked04:stretcher: wow what a little beauty that coin is , even with the early graffiti she is still a looker George :cheering: :cheering: congrats on finding your oldest seated coin :perfect10: .

sniffy
07-23-2011, 07:40 PM
SUPER NICE! That Half dime was quite the treat I bet! I didn't find much today...but I did collect a nice assortment of flies on my head.

trout-hunter
07-23-2011, 08:05 PM
Nice going George, you're really getting into the silver groove. :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

HEAVYMETALNUT
07-23-2011, 08:10 PM
that's a SWEET seated G! congrats man! <: how'd Dan do?

Ill Digger
07-23-2011, 08:28 PM
Looks like a great hunt to me!! thumbsup01
Of course the half dime is a dream find !! :daydream: :daydream: :daydream: :drool: :envious:
And I still can't get over all the old buttons you find! :confused: :shocked04:
Sweet hunt!!
Congrats :grin:

angellionel
07-23-2011, 09:09 PM
Wow! :drool: :drool: That half dime is very beautiful! :smitten: :smitten: Yeah, she must have been dropped within days of being minted. lol Great bunch of other finds too. :clapping: The heat didn't keep you down, that's for sure. :happydance01:

del
07-23-2011, 09:12 PM
these are the two sites we spent about 6 1/2 hours on before the bugs and heat got the best of us . this first site is where we spent the most time and George got his half dime . there was alot of area , many fields and pens . the large round stone on the left is a huge millstone. i picked up all my finds here except the navy button .
http://i486.photobucket.com/albums/rr228/del1786/prrs2leftsidewithmillstone.jpg

i found that at this site about an hour before we left
http://i486.photobucket.com/albums/rr228/del1786/prrscellarrightside.jpg

it was a missed target at about 4 1/2 inches deep sounding like a very high end shotgun shell or decent sized button. i was very pleased :loveit: to see an eagle on the button .it made the day for me :yes: :happydance01: :happydance01:
http://i486.photobucket.com/albums/rr228/del1786/2011/navybuttonuncleaned1.jpg

heres the loot , not alot of stuff as the ground is drying up some and i fear unless we get a good rain the finds will become more sparse. crying01
the big dandy button was around 9 inches but it still screamed like a coin from under 3 good sized rocks .
http://i486.photobucket.com/albums/rr228/del1786/2011/july23rdfinds1.jpg

and heres the Navy button cleaned up some its a 1 piece and dates a little later than i had first thought (1834-1843) , i was very surprised that it doesn't have any gilting on it at all but is very detailed :confused: :confused: .
http://i486.photobucket.com/albums/rr228/del1786/2011/Navybuttoncleaned1.jpg
thanks for looking,
Dan

tanacat
07-23-2011, 09:16 PM
Excellent condition half dime no matter :yes:

Maybe you could put a little mud back over that A... :rolleyes:

angellionel
07-23-2011, 09:17 PM
That sweet old button cleaned up well, Dan. :clapping: It's very nicely detailed.

HEAVYMETALNUT
07-23-2011, 09:28 PM
very nice button Dan! do you have one of those yet in your collection? a great day out men! the heat and bugs took a toll on us today as well

Beefcake
07-23-2011, 09:37 PM
You guys get to hunt some of the coolest places buddy! Awesome pile of finds and did that person know that someone was going to be picking that coin up in a hundred years or so:huh:thinkingabout: What were they thinking! LOl

coinnut
07-23-2011, 09:38 PM
I'm shocked that button didn't have any gilt left on it :confused: But a beauty it is, even without the glitter lol Great looking button and an all around good day out. :beerbuddy: Wish I was going out tomorrow too rofl

sniffy
07-23-2011, 10:10 PM
Killer button Dan. :perfect10:

del
07-24-2011, 08:07 PM
And I still can't get over all the old buttons you find! :confused: :shocked04:

i know George has all his buttons all over in various containers , probably in alphabetical order or some other hair brain way :crazy: and won't be able to veiw them . lol lol
Tim this is just some of the buttons i have (about 2 to 2 and1/2 years worth) just to give you an idea. we have a ton of them :grin:

Ill Digger
07-24-2011, 08:48 PM
i know George has all his buttons all over in various containers , probably in alphabetical order or some other hair brain way :crazy: and won't be able to veiw them . lol lol
<} lol No. I'm sure there all lined up neatly and labeled with a little bit of history posted neatly next to each one. In a nice display somewhere. :yes: :angelic: lol

Tim this is just some of the buttons i have (about 2 to 2 and1/2 years worth) just to give you an idea. we have a ton of them :grin:
:omg: :shocked04: And thats only part of them !?! 8/ Good god man!! Thats a lot of buttons!! :yes:
Back in the day everyone must of been running around with their shirts only half buttoned all the time lol
Thanks for sharing the pic of the buttons! Very impressive!! |:confused:) |:confused:)

jkress
07-24-2011, 09:01 PM
:shocked04: :shocked04: :shocked04:
This is an awesome post! You two really find some fantastic coinage, relics.... and buttons.

Love the Half Dime George. :smitten:
Dan, that is a simply staggering number of old buttons. |:confused:)

Keep up the great work guys!

SeabeeRon
07-24-2011, 09:07 PM
:perfect10: Yes!! :perfect10:

RobW
07-26-2011, 10:44 AM
Where to begin on this one :confused:

1) Dan...George is kicking you bad this year >:tongue:

2) George...those seated are loving you this year :envious:

3) Dan....that is a great Navy Button :loveit:

4) I have seen part of George's button collection....as we all know he takes his time cleaning the unimportant finds...they are all just sitting in a box ...if I remember correctly there are many cigar boxes full....

his good stuff he keeps guarded by a team of ninjas, down a shaft 100ft deep, with steel doors, and cobras, and if you make it through that, there's lazer beams that will cut you in half if your eye scan doesn't match up rofl

coinnut
07-26-2011, 11:05 AM
rofl 1-4 sounds about right lol, especially #4. ;) Rob, I'll clean all my buttons if Angel cleans his Wheats rofl. It was a great day for me at the beginning of the hunt, and a great day for Dan at the end of the hunt. At these pounded sites, if 2 keepers come out all day long, it was worth it. :yes:

aloldstuff
07-26-2011, 11:42 AM
Again excellent hunting. 1838 1/2 dime, great. My oldest seated is a 1838 dime. I can see what is meant by there is always something left to find. Great recoveries and congrats. Some day I will need to see that button collection.

angellionel
07-26-2011, 05:08 PM
Rob, I'll clean all my buttons if Angel cleans his Wheats rofl.

I will get to them someday, and I will find several rare key dates too. :cheesysmile: lol

Hey Dan, that is an amazing collection of old buttons! :shocked04:

coinnut
07-26-2011, 06:29 PM
I will get to them someday,

lol If you say so ;) I hope to get to mine somewhere around 2020 or so.

Some day I will need to see that button collection.

Here they are. lol There could be more somewhere else, but I think I got most of them :thinkingabout: If I can find the GW pictures, I will get them in the count too.

[attachimg=1]
[attachimg=2]
[attachimg=3]
[attachimg=4]
[attachimg=5]
[attachimg=6]
[attachimg=7]

RobW
07-27-2011, 07:42 AM
I hope to get to mine somewhere around 2020 or so.

Is that when you're too old to detect anymore? You know that's only a few years from now lol

coinnut
07-27-2011, 07:58 PM
Is that when you're too old to detect anymore? You know that's only a few years from now lol

I'll never be too old to detect lol I'm planning on detecting underground some time in the future too :cheesysmile: ;)

RobW
07-28-2011, 09:09 AM
I'll never be too old to detect lol I'm planning on detecting underground some time in the future too :cheesysmile: ;)

I can see it now.........Dan pushing you around in the woods...in a wooden wheel chair (that way it doesn't interfere with the detector) rofl

aloldstuff
07-28-2011, 09:20 AM
lol If you say so ;) I hope to get to mine somewhere around 2020 or so.

Here they are. lol There could be more somewhere else, but I think I got most of them :thinkingabout: If I can find the GW pictures, I will get them in the count too.

[attachimg=1]
[attachimg=2]
[attachimg=3]
[attachimg=4]
[attachimg=5]
[attachimg=6]
[attachimg=7]

Thanks for posting coinnut. those are awesom

del
07-28-2011, 10:20 AM
I can see it now.........Dan pushing you around in the woods...in a wooden wheel chair (that way it doesn't interfere with the detector) rofl

:rolleyes: oh ,Rob ,Rob , Rob ...
you have a great imagination my friend but if you think i'm pushing George's sorry butt around the woods when he's too old and grey . your sadly mistaken . lol rofl

tanacat
07-29-2011, 08:59 AM
Is that all ya got there George?? :thinkingabout:

lol :shocked04: That's quite a collection...

coinnut
07-29-2011, 11:23 AM
Is that all ya got there George?? :thinkingabout:

Yep, that's all she wrote lol Looks like a good excuse to do some more detecting :cheesysmile:

Mudder
07-29-2011, 09:06 PM
That is one awsome Seated Liberty, but I could positively sit all day looking at the buttons you have found.