PDA

View Full Version : Ww1 training camp items at museum display

Dimeman
07-30-2011, 08:45 PM
I loaned some of my collection of post cards, actual letters from the camp to home, photos of soldiers at camp, some relic items and coins found in the camp area to a small museum for their annual Camp Logan/Houston Riot of 1917 exhibit.
Shown in the 10 Riker display cases, my items takes up most of the display cabinet.

They will be on display from the end of July to the end of September.
I had a smaller display at the museum last year and they asked if I had more items to show for this year.

JTGOLD
07-31-2011, 10:30 AM
wow! neat,would like to see that too.

Tony Two-Cent
07-31-2011, 12:40 PM
Very, very cool, Robbie! I love historical photos, documents, and artifacts. That display looks like it would be really interesting! It was very nice of you to loan part of your collection for the display. :clapping:

coinnut
07-31-2011, 12:42 PM
That is a great display. :clapping: :clapping: They are lucky someone like you took the time to acquire, document, display, and loan those items out. :perfect10: I think the letters sent to home, would be my favorite.. Great job.

Dimeman
07-31-2011, 01:43 PM
Just finished a short video about this years display.

2011 Museum Display- My Camp Logan Items (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_g8yGC7g_0E#ws)

coinnut
07-31-2011, 05:00 PM
Hey Robbie, them Riker mounts are great for that type of display. I love the way that helmets are displayed too. That is a ready to go exibit and I'm sure they appreciate it very much. You're vidoe is done really well too. What program are you using to make the video if you don't mind me asking?? Very well done. |:confused:) |:confused:) :perfect10:

Dimeman
07-31-2011, 09:16 PM
Hey Robbie, them Riker mounts are great for that type of display. I love the way that helmets are displayed too. That is a ready to go exibit and I'm sure they appreciate it very much. You're vidoe is done really well too. What program are you using to make the video if you don't mind me asking?? Very well done. |:confused:) |:confused:) :perfect10:

Thanks. :yes:

I have Windows XP Pro on my computer and use Windows Movie Maker 2.

angellionel
07-31-2011, 10:02 PM
Awesome display, Robbie. Those are great items. Fantastic job! thumbsup01 thumbsup01

aloldstuff
08-01-2011, 09:48 AM
Great display. How long have you been collecting items about this camp? I;m sure alot of people will appreciate this display. Good for you on doing this.

RobW
08-01-2011, 03:58 PM
Awsome! Way to give back :clapping:

I had a display in our library/museaum last year. Very similar.

Cheap Thrills
08-02-2011, 12:16 PM
A great display and very nice of you to share it with the museum and us . :cool: thumbsup01 thumbsup01

SeabeeRon
08-03-2011, 02:31 PM
Great job Robbie! I met Spring Texas Digger, Jim I think his name is, out here on the beach a couple of years back and he was telling me all about Camp Logan! We have our own Fort Ord here on the Monterey Bay, but I don't believe it opened until WWII.

Dimeman
08-04-2011, 11:26 AM
Great job Robbie! I met Spring Texas Digger, Jim I think his name is, out here on the beach a couple of years back and he was telling me all about Camp Logan! We have our own Fort Ord here on the Monterey Bay, but I don't believe it opened until WWII.

SpringTexasdigger is Mark. I had asked him about his trip to the beach and he said he met lots of great folks there. :cool:

Dimeman
08-04-2011, 11:34 AM
Great display. How long have you been collecting items about this camp? I;m sure alot of people will appreciate this display. Good for you on doing this.

A group of locals ( 7 of us) went on a search in the area in early 2007--we didn't find a lot but it sparked my interest in how the camp area looked back in 1917-1919.
So I started getting post cards and photos of the camp. After I had over 100 I started looking for other camp items--actual letters and other printed items.

I have over 150 images of the soldiers and the camp, 6 different letters to home, a turkey day company menu from 1917, and a songbook from the camp. I have found relic items and some coins detecting at the camp site-----one of the coins is the oldest silver coin I have ever found---a well worn 1875 Seated Half Dollar.

aloldstuff
08-04-2011, 01:39 PM
A group of locals ( 7 of us) went on a search in the area in early 2007--we didn't find a lot but it sparked my interest in how the camp area looked back in 1917-1919.
So I started getting post cards and photos of the camp. After I had over 100 I started looking for other camp items--actual letters and other printed items.

I have over 150 images of the soldiers and the camp, 6 different letters to home, a turkey day company menu from 1917, and a songbook from the camp. I have found relic items and some coins detecting at the camp site-----one of the coins is the oldest silver coin I have ever found---a well worn 1875 Seated Half Dollar.

That is fantastic, funny how someone can get involved. Did you do research for family members (letters). That is a great display and I am sure it will grow.