PDA

View Full Version : DFX is gone, now for the ETrac

hoser
01-17-2010, 04:50 PM
I sold the DFX and now I have to learn my new ETrac. Its gonna take me some time as I was used to the sounds and readings found on the Whites. I started it up in the house today for a short time just to get an idea what I would be up against. Good thing there is several months till the spring thaw. At least that will give me time to learn all I can so I'm not fumbling in the wilderness. I would appreciate any advice from the rest of you ETrac owners. ;) :yes: I think I will like this new machine. Especially if I start finding more silver. :drool:

coinnut
01-17-2010, 08:01 PM
I hunt in ferrous sounds two tones, so that the iron grunts and everything else has a high pitch. I also only run the discriminator with 31-35 masked out and the quick mask screen blank (all metal) That way when I get a signal that is questionable, I just switch between the screens to all metal. I use auto +3 for sensitivity because it runs smooth and still goes deep. Deep on and fast on, ground difficult trash density set to high. Sometimes I turn off the deep setting, depending on the conditions. But a more important question is where do you hunt? These settings are for foundation hunting with lots of iron. Park settings may be way different...just ask Angel lol

Epi-hunter
01-17-2010, 08:08 PM
I use the same settings exactly as Angel. Tone ID 'multi', Variable tones, set at 29 (of 30). Change your trash density from the default 'Low' to 'High'... very important!

Angel has a program that he can send and you can download it and then upload it to the e-trac if you want.

You will do fine! Congrats! :)

Keep posting!

Beefcake
01-20-2010, 11:22 PM
Does that program come with a &quot:daydream:ne month trial subscription of Angel's Mojo:huh: That could be the one missing component! ;)

hoser
01-21-2010, 08:02 PM
I use the same settings exactly as Angel. Tone ID 'multi', Variable tones, set at 29 (of 30). Change your trash density from the default 'Low' to 'High'... very important!

Angel has a program that he can send and you can download it and then upload it to the e-trac if you want.

You will do fine! Congrats! :)

Keep posting!

Angie if that program is the same one he uses to find all that silver , you bet I would like to have it. In fact I would crawl through a mile of broken glass to get it. :shocked04:stretcher: :shocked04: lol

Epi-hunter
01-21-2010, 08:18 PM
Angie if that program is the same one he uses to find all that silver , you bet I would like to have it. In fact I would crawl through a mile of broken glass to get it. :shocked04:stretcher: :shocked04: lol

lol You and me both. Hang in there with the E-trac Bill... it will be different for awhile but you will become accustomed to it.

Happy to download my (Angel's ;) ) program to you, and you can simply upload it to your E-trac via your PC if you want. Or I can specify the settings for the program and you can set it manually.

Again, it is Angel's program, modified from that of one that was downloaded from Andy Sabisch. It does use the multi tones feature to the maximum, so that might take some getting used to it... but I too would have it no other way.

hoser
01-21-2010, 08:32 PM
That would be awesome Angie. I haven't plugged in the ETrac software disc yet in my pc. I'll have to do that this weekend. :embarrassed: ;)

angellionel
01-21-2010, 08:36 PM
That would be awesome Angie. I haven't plugged in the ETrac software disc yet in my pc. I'll have to do that this weekend. :embarrassed: ;)

Hey Bill, the base settings are in the document I sent you. :) The discrimination pattern itself is separate from those settings.

hoser
01-21-2010, 09:08 PM
And I truely thank you for that Angel. I printed that out and I am now keeping a loose leaf folder of all ETrac related topics and programming items. This is gonna really help me out a lot this year. thumbsup01 Can't wait to try them out. :drool:

Eagle 1
01-23-2010, 11:05 AM
And I truely thank you for that Angel. I printed that out and I am now keeping a loose leaf folder of all related topics and programming items. This is gonna really help me out a lot this year. thumbsup01 Can't wait to try them out. :drool:

HI: Bill

You are going to love the E-Trac. I am loving it :smitten:. I have never owned anything but a White's for about 36 years now. You don't have all that tweaking that you have with the DFX and the V3 ( Tweaking over kill :ticked: ) that I just sold for the E-Trac. I have been spending a lot of time at the beach. It has been for me pretty E Z. The first day I went out I tryed playing around with the settings. After that day I have not realy messed with the settings.
I have made my my first pattern for the beach it's been working great. Still tweaking it. I spent 4.1/2 hrs. just hunting and digging and finding lots of good stuff. Condgrats and good luck
angellionel I would love to have a copy of your document & Pattern if you could send it to me thank you.

Eagle 1

MT
01-25-2010, 11:23 PM
Bill...I bought an Explorer XS in 2002, not really knowing what it was. I used it for about 3 months and decided I would get a DFX, just because of the weight of the Explorer. I used the DFX for exactly one year. Everyone I hunted with used Explorers and skunked me every time we went out. They would find a target and I couldn't hear anything. I tried everything, even going to all metal to try and find something deep...Nothing worked. I always found myself making do with the DFX. Still, I couldn't find what the guys with the Explorers were finding. I gave up, and went back to Minelab, weight and all. Now I use an E-Trac and never stop finding deep silver. Sorry I wasted a year fooling around with the DFX. The E-Trac will give you the right tone until it just won't see the target any more. The DFX would give up after about 5.
You made the right choice...Stick with it. You won't be dissapointed.
HH,
MT

coinnut
01-26-2010, 11:39 AM
Bill...I bought an Explorer XS in 2002, not really knowing what it was. I used it for about 3 months and decided I would get a DFX, just because of the weight of the Explorer. I used the DFX for exactly one year. Everyone I hunted with used Explorers and skunked me every time we went out. They would find a target and I couldn't hear anything. I tried everything, even going to all metal to try and find something deep...Nothing worked. I always found myself making do with the DFX. Still, I couldn't find what the guys with the Explorers were finding. I gave up, and went back to Minelab, weight and all. Now I use an E-Trac and never stop finding deep silver. Sorry I wasted a year fooling around with the DFX. The E-Trac will give you the right tone until it just won't see the target any more. The DFX would give up after about 5.
You made the right choice...Stick with it. You won't be dissapointed.
HH,
MT

My experience with the DFX and now the E Trac is a bit better. I bought the DFX brand new when it came out. It took a while to get a great program for my area. I think I am lucky to be in western Mass, even though we have mineralisation, it's usually not severe. I found a large cent at a depth of 10 1/2 with the DFX. Ideal conditions thought. I found a large cent at 12 with the E Trac in not so ideal conditions. I think generally speaking, the Minelabs can perform well, in almost all the different parts of the country. The DFX, I feel, is more limited to ground conditions and EMI. Judging from some of the posts from the west and from the red clay areas, the DFX suffers a bit. I love my E Trac and probably won't give it up. The DFX on the other hand is an excellent first hunt machine at a new site. You can't beat it's speed and sharp signal on targets up to 7 or 8 inches. But in tough conditions, I would stick with a Minelab. Just my thoughts on both machines.