PDA

View Full Version : Week at the beach

z118
07-31-2011, 11:59 AM
I got back on Saturday from the annual family vacation at the beach in New England. Pretty much all year I look forward to those early mornings on the beach detecting, both for the beauty and calm of the surroundings as well as the possible good finds. Now that my father is hooked on detecting, he joined me for several hunts. I usually use the E-trac and he has my old Sov GT, but we switched at the beach as I think the Sov does better there (plus my father wanted to try out the E-trac). We did a few comparisons of signals on both machines, but weren't very scientific about it. All I know is that the Sov is an absolute beast in the sand. It ran as smooth as smooth can be and I pulled quite a few coin or coin sized targets at 12 or so.

I was very much hoping for some gold this year, but it was not to be. The sheer number of other guys detecting on the beach is staggering - it was not unusual to see a dozen other people with detectors at any given time. The dry sand was not very productive for me so when the tides agreed I worked the wet sand quite a bit. I did wind up with some silver jewelry - a tiny ring, an earring, and 11 silver beads. The beads were a chore to detect as they were small enough to fall through the scoop and when I first came across them it was right where the waves were starting to hit. There is no way to recover targets in moving water that will fall through a scoop that I know of. I still managed to find 8 of them between waves, and then my dad found the spot again a few days later and we pulled 3 more.

The other nice find was a surprise of sorts - a nice 1911 V nickel in the damp sand. I know there are plenty of old coins somewhere at this beach but at this point I'd expect them to all be beyond the range of detectors. You just never know. This V nickel is in much nicer shape than any of the ones I've found in the dirt. I also dug one deep and beat up 1917 wheat in the dry sand, and two others that I would suspect are modern drops.

Otherwise, total coins for the week was 331 coins worth $25.83. It was a great time as always. The thought of getting back to work and life in general is not a pleasant one at this point. I already can't wait for next year!

happy hunting...

midas
07-31-2011, 12:17 PM
Great finds! The beach is always an enjoyable place to hunt. You're right, the competition is staggering. Can you imagine if the parks had that kind of metal detector congestion!!!!!! Pretty soon the detectors will outnumber the swimmers. Wonder where the V nickle came from? Must have been tossed up from the silver coin layer of the beach.

Cheap Thrills
07-31-2011, 12:26 PM
Nice going on all the clad and jewelry , that nickel is amazing . thumbsup01 thumbsup01

JTGOLD
07-31-2011, 12:53 PM
very good beach hunt,GG.

bob_e99
07-31-2011, 01:28 PM
From my perspective, I was cool on beach hunting because I figured there were no old coins but leave it to z to pull a V nickel out of the sand and then add the wheats to that. He definitely taught me something about detecting.

This was my first beach hunt and here are my thoughts:

1) The coins are always cleaner :cool:
2) The 'digging' is way easier unless you're in the really wet sand
3) What a feeling when you look into the scoop and find multiple coins ( 3, 4, 5 ). Just amazing. :grin:
4) I had to laugh at the number of people swinging detectors. It's amazing no one suffered a concussion from being hit in the head. lol

In addition to being my first beach hunt, I was excited about using the E-trac. So much so that I have ordered one for myself. I also had a few days to try it in some of my regular detecting spots (woods, grass, etc) and really enjoyed it. Z is correct about the Sovereign being a better beach detector but I really liked the E-trac for my types of hunt. I now understand why people usually have several detectors.

And lastly and most important, it was just great detecting with my son. I could not have asked for a better week.

Thanks.

aloldstuff
07-31-2011, 03:50 PM
Sounds like a great vacation. Beach detecting and you got a pile of clad and some oldies. One thing I hate about vacations, they always end and are then just a memory. Congrats on your finds

coinnut
07-31-2011, 06:55 PM
Wish we could have hooked up with you two while you were here. :dontknow: But you probably didn't need two more guys to add to the already packed beach lol we probably knew most of them people from our detecting club, if you were anywhere near CT beaches or Cape Cod. There are some hardened beach hunters out here. You did really well and even though them beads were a pain, it must have been fun getting more and more of them :happydance01: Nice score on the V nickel and the early wheat too. I never take a vacation myself, cause I can't stand the let down the day before I start work again rofl Nice digs and great you had some time detecting together. :clapping:

Mudder
07-31-2011, 08:29 PM
Congrats on some great finds. I would love to go beach detecting, but the wife says I can't till it cools off a bit. I know that I could stand a week of digging the beach.

angellionel
07-31-2011, 09:25 PM
A fun day enjoying the coolness of the beach + detecting. Hard to beat. :yes: The V nickel is quite nice, Z. The Sovereign is definitely a fun machine to use at the beach. :smitten:

Glad to see you had fun with the E-TRAC Bob! thumbsup01 I suspect that you will be doing quite well with your own machine. :clapping: