PDA

View Full Version : :huh: What is it?

Downeastwaves
01-17-2010, 07:13 PM
Hi Folks,

Any ideas on what this is? It is heavy, should I pick at it or stick it in olive oil? Yeah, yeah, I know it is just beach junk.....

http://web.me.com/downeastwaves/Downeastwaves_Treasure/file.html

coinnut
01-17-2010, 07:23 PM
Hey, Maybe it's just my junky computer :bangahead01: (I live in the stone age lol) but I couldn't use the link. It said, the address is not valid. Anybody with a computer that is of this century have any issues or is it just me :-\

Epi-hunter
01-17-2010, 07:28 PM
I modified it so the link works, but I still don't see the photo.

Downeastwaves
01-17-2010, 09:17 PM
I modified it so the link works, but I still don't see the photo.

sorry do not know how to fix it....works on my computer with Safari but not Firefox, works om Mike's computer on IE but not Firefox...learning curve, probably something I'm nod doing right. the pix are on my computer and Mike is using it right now because I'm using his!

coinnut
01-17-2010, 10:16 PM
It took a couple of seconds more to load than usual, but I can see the pictures now. It looks like a square hunk of steel. It's rusted like steel. But with beach finds, you never know what will clump together. The only way I know to clean something like that is through electrolysis. You can Google the words Atocha and electrolysis to narrow down the responses. I just think it's a hunk of metal, but you never know.

Downeastwaves
01-17-2010, 10:39 PM
It took a couple of seconds more to load than usual, but I can see the pictures now. It looks like a square hunk of steel. It's rusted like steel. But with beach finds, you never know what will clump together. The only way I know to clean something like that is through electrolysis. You can Google the words Atocha and electrolysis to narrow down the responses. I just think it's a hunk of metal, but you never know.

That was fun! I do not think I'm up for hooking up a battery to anything but I enjoyed reading some of the stories and seeing some of the treasure...THANKS!!!!!

RickO
01-18-2010, 05:17 PM
I would start by tapping it gently all around with a hammer. It may open and show what is inside... save a lot of electrolysis. RickO

coinnut
01-18-2010, 05:57 PM
I would start by tapping it gently all around with a hammer. It may open and show what is inside... save a lot of electrolysis. RickO

Hopefully GOLD and Diamonds lol Well it could be ;)

sectshun8
02-06-2010, 06:03 AM
Seems like it could be like an old, thrown in a fire can of some sort... no aluminum. Something like an old lighter fluid can (the kind you put on charcoals) or something of that nature... just a thought.

It's a good thing I had the Opera browser on my PC here at work... couldn't see the pics until I opened it up in there.

BerntOut
02-07-2010, 01:06 PM
Looks like a piece of parchment to me!

ProPointer
02-12-2010, 10:33 PM
I'm sorry, im still unable to see it.

coinnut
02-13-2010, 06:06 PM
I'm sorry, im still unable to see it.

You need special power, x- ray glasses lol

Ill Digger
02-14-2010, 02:00 AM
I don't know. :confused:
I've never hunted any kind of beach, let alone a salt water beach.
Heck I've never even seen the ocean. lol
If I had to guess it looks like a piece of steel or something to me. :confused:
Cut it in half or like Rick said tap it with a hammer to try and get some of the rust to flake off.
Good luck & HH :grin: