PDA

View Full Version : 111 Degrees with Ace 250 Running Silent.

Lowjiber
08-02-2011, 06:12 PM
My fifteen year old nephew from Atlanta has been visiting for the past week and we've been running full speed every day...many sights and events to experience in the Las Vegas area. One of the things he wanted to do before flying back home on Wednesday was to go metal detecting. I've been putting him off, as the only detecting time you can get in the summer is EARLY in the morning before the temps start rising.

Before I go any further, let me say that EARLY in the morning starts at 5am and ends around 9:30am for me...not so for a teenager. :rolleyes: Last night, I told him that we'd go when he got up, but he would need to load the Jeep before he went to bed so we'd be ready to roll...cooler full of drinks, detectors & digging gear loaded, etc. I told him there were three detectors hanging in the spare bedroom closet, and to load the gold one (F2 for him) and the black one (MXT for me)...both have Killer Bee headsets already attached and are ready to rock-n-roll.

Being the hard-nose that I am, I told him that HE was responsible for setting his alarm. (I get up at 3:30am anyway, but am trying to instill some discipline in his daily routine.) When he was still in bed at 8am ( :rolleyes: ), I gave him a swift kick in the foot...telling him he was more than a little late.

He begged forgiveness and pleaded to go anyway. Besides, how hot can it get in the morning? :rolleyes: So, I decide to teach him a lesson and off we go, headed across town to a bunch of volleyball courts that always yield a bunch of clad and an occasional piece of bling.

We arrive about 9:30, and the temp is already 91 degrees and climbing almost by the minute. I'm wearing an old man, white shirt and he's wearing a teenager black, Tap-Out tee shirt. lol Oh well, I warned him. :grin:

I park under one of the three (yes, three) shade trees that are fairly close to the courts. When I look in the back of the Jeep, I see my MXT and an Ace 250. I'll add here that yellow (Ace 250) is not the same color as gold (F2). No problem, you say? Only two, I respond. First off, he Ace 250 didn't have a headset attached. I'll remind you that the Ace 250 does NOT have an internal speaker. Secondly, the Ace 250 didn't have any batteries installed as it rarely gets any use around here, and I don't want any leakage during storage.

Fortunately, I had my V3i's spare battery pack in the glove compartment and was able to resolve the case of the missing batteries fairly quickly. However, with no headset a rookie is almost blind. So, being the wise one on the excursion, I opted to give him the MXT and I took the Ace.

After a few lessons under the tree with strategically placed coins, he seemed to get the hang of it. I removed the headset so I could hear his machine when it approached a target.

We began the hunt...me with the 250 watching the screen for a silent hit and him with the MXT tooling along in C&J mode. After thirty minutes, he was ready to head back to the Jeep for a cold drink. The Jeep thermometer read 101 and was at 102 by the time we headed back to the courts.

Another thirty minutes was about all we could both take, but I wasn't about to admit it until HE gave up. :rolleyes: When we packed up and headed for a late breakfast, the temp was pretty stable at 111 degrees.

Total take for the hour in hell...$4.56 in clad, no bling. I found the most money because I was cherry-picking only quarters and dimes...make HIM dig everything. He never noticed. lol

If you got this far, I'll add that the 250 is a great, lightweight (albeit this one has a SunRay attached) machine for volleyball courts. I notched out pull tabs and cranked the sensitivity down two notches, and it ran like a dream (albeit a silent one).

del
08-02-2011, 06:26 PM
very entertaining post John :grin:
sounds like he just might have learned his lesson , Uncle Lowjiber ;) bet he's up earlier next time around lol lol .

Dan

pulltabsteve
08-02-2011, 07:07 PM
rofl lol Kids these days have no idea what early is! I like heat but I'd have to be pulling gold coins out of the dirt to be digging in that for any length of time. You should have just put your headphones on the ace :yes:
&quot:daydream:ld man white shirt beats black on a hot summer day thumbsup01
I hope everything is going great with you John!

Lowjiber
08-02-2011, 07:22 PM
You should have just put your headphones on the ace :yes:

I hope everything is going great with you John!

My old Ace has a small headphone jack and the KB's won't fit.

Yup! Things are going well here. I'm not detecting much in the summer heat. When I do go, it's in the Gold Basin hunting for meteorites. I got slowed down a bunch last spring with some foot surgery and am anxious for cooler weather that will let me stay out all day.

coinnut
08-02-2011, 09:00 PM
Sounds like an entertaining day John lol Teenagers can't hear more than 4 words at a time, so I think you lost him way before the colors of the machines even come up rofl I'm with you, I would never quit before finishing the lesson on early morning hours and heat ;) Even though it was hot and he was sleepy, I bet he will be right back at it again if he gets the chance.

Ill Digger
08-02-2011, 10:11 PM
Whoa! 111º!! :shocked04: :white:usaflag:: :white:usaflag:: :white:usaflag:: That's brutal !!
I would've made sure my rear end was up and out of bed early knowing it was going to be like that outside! :yes: lol
Man thats too hot for me! I would've :white:usaflag:: at the 101º/ 102º mark. lol
He had to learn something from that! lol

jkress
08-02-2011, 10:40 PM
Great post John. :clapping: Loved the full story.
111 degrees is hot, even if it is Nevada dry.
Curious... my Ace 250 has an internal speaker. :confused: No need for headphones.
Glad to hear the two of you had a great time.

Lowjiber
08-03-2011, 06:18 AM
Curious... my Ace 250 has an internal speaker.

My 250 is really old. I've seen newer models with a speaker, but I think the Wright Bros had mine on their maiden flight. lol Also, the headphone jack is much smaller than 1/4...more like an iPod size.

It still works though. :yes:

(Below is a pic of him using the probe...not the best form by a long shot.)

SeabeeRon
08-03-2011, 02:24 PM
You make the best posts John! thumbsup01 lol Are you now know as Mean Ol' Uncle John??!! :poke:
Too bad he didn't visit when you lived in LG and had a nice cool beach close by to hit!! :cool:

Epi-hunter
08-03-2011, 03:25 PM
lol lol

Totally hilarious John. I'm with the teenager though... 8AM is too early for me rofl

Do you mean that without headphones your ACE 250 doesn't sound like an ice cream truck? :confused: I didn't know they made them without the speaker.

Lowjiber
08-04-2011, 07:37 AM
Mine is one of the first ones that Garrett produced. It doesn't have a speaker. The headphone jack is very small, and I've actually used ear buds to hear the ice cream truck sounds...which drive me crazy anyway. My wife used it for a while with a 1/4 jack adapter attached to enable the use of a KB headset.

I bought it about five years ago at a club auction. The guy who donated it had it for quite a while beforehand, but it had not much use. It still looks brand new. I added a SunRay probe, which is ironic because I paid $150 for the probe and $40 for the detector. lol

My favorite el cheapo detector is the F2. They are very rugged and with a 4 coil they are perfect in trashy areas. I actually stabbed mine with the Lesche and put a hole in the screen...it keeps on ticking. :rolleyes:

Our club in San Jose has an annual seeded hunt where green painted pennies, stamped with prize numbers, are cast about the roped off hunt area. It's funny to see about fifty detectorists, most of whom have very expensive machines, using F2's and Ace 250's to find the pennies in the grass. There is a place in this hobby for just about everything.

aloldstuff
08-04-2011, 08:01 AM
Mom, Dad, you are not going to believe what Uncle John made me do......Nice lesson there, hope your nephew got the message (but I doubt it, got kids of my own, grown now, but they were teeenagers.) Great that you gave him the responsibilty of loading the md's and to get his butt up on his own. Great post, and I know that other members here have had some similar experiences. Maybe we can get them to post.

Mudder
08-04-2011, 08:36 PM
There was a life lesson there, but I doubt that he got it. 111 is a brutal temp to be digging in, I get worn out pretty quickly when it hits 95 here, which it has been doing on a daily basis for the past 6 weeks. Great story, and I really enjoyed it. :clapping:

Epi-hunter
08-04-2011, 10:36 PM
At least your nephew wanted to go detecting. I can't interest my 15 and 16 year old sons in it at all. :rolleyes: Only my daughter.

111 degrees is just insane. This is not detecting season for me. I'm done until October :happydance01: :cheesysmile:

jkress
08-04-2011, 10:38 PM
My 250 is really old.

Knowing you, it is probably the ACE 250 prototype. lol

(Below is a pic of him using the probe...not the best form by a long shot.)

Hey... I've been that guy before. :yes: rofl