PDA

View Full Version : 1836 Capped Bust Half Dime

angellionel
08-02-2011, 06:45 PM
After the coppers I have been finding lately a bit of silver was overdue. :thinkingabout: I picked up a very nice one this afternoon, a 1836 Capped Bust half dime. :happydance01: :happydance01:

http://www.angellionel.com/myfinds/2011/August/1836_halfdime_obv_080211.jpg

http://www.angellionel.com/myfinds/2011/August/1836_halfdime_rev_080211.jpg

I also found a 1904 Barber dime, a King George III Farthing (1773-1775), one Indian Head cent, and a small crotal bell.

http://www.angellionel.com/myfinds/2011/August/1904_barberdime_080211.jpg

http://www.angellionel.com/myfinds/2011/August/king_george_farhing_obv_080211.jpg

http://www.angellionel.com/myfinds/2011/August/king_george_farhing_rev_080211.jpg

http://www.angellionel.com/myfinds/2011/August/crotalbellandih_080211.jpg

HH!

MassDirtFisher
08-02-2011, 06:48 PM
ANGEL!!!! SWEET!!SWEET Find!!!! Look at the condition on that coin!! Did you make that in your basement with all the silver you score:huh: It looks brand new. Great hunt!! Excellent finds!! Congrats and Happy Hunting!!

del
08-02-2011, 06:57 PM
:omg: wow George he just had to beat you better by 2 years with his halfdime , huh... :cheering: :cheering: lol lol

great coin Angel :drool: , love the farthing :loveit: :smitten: too and a crotal bell :thinkingabout: :thinkingabout: hmm were you hitting a field or foundation site :eyebrow: ;) incredible day out. :perfect10:

angellionel
08-02-2011, 07:05 PM
ANGEL!!!! SWEET!!SWEET Find!!!! Look at the condition on that coin!! Did you make that in your basement with all the silver you score:huh: It looks brand new. Great hunt!! Excellent finds!! Congrats and Happy Hunting!!

She sure kept her good looks after all these years. :smitten: I worked that area hard to see if anything else was near where I found her, and picked up the Farthing. :yes:

:omg: wow George he just had to beat you better by 2 years with his halfdime , huh... :cheering: :cheering: lol lol

great coin Angel :drool: , love the farthing :loveit: :smitten: too and a crotal bell :thinkingabout: :thinkingabout: hmm were you hitting a field or foundation site :eyebrow: ;) incredible day out. :perfect10:

lol lol It wasn't intentional. :cheesysmile: lol

And nope, it was not a field, foundation, or cellar hole. ;)

Thanks Dan! :beerbuddy:

Hook
08-02-2011, 07:12 PM
its simply amazing ..the coins you pull outta the ground. i just shake my head lol...great job Angel..once again :groovy:

coinnut
08-02-2011, 07:49 PM
Sweet looking half dime Angel :loveit: :loveit: And you had to beat me didn't you :eyebrow: :girlcry: :girlcry: It is so hard to find them little coins, but they are starting to turn up more frequently. Down around 7?? Nice looking Geo III too. And I think you found some kind of modern dime too :thinkingabout: lol Great stuff. :peace:

Tony Two-Cent
08-02-2011, 07:54 PM
Now I'm sure of it. You're trying to make my head explode. lol

That is beyong awesome, Angel! |:confused:)

angellionel
08-02-2011, 08:21 PM
its simply amazing ..the coins you pull outta the ground. i just shake my head lol...great job Angel..once again :groovy:

Thanks Hook! That was such a sweet surprise to see the tiny coin at the bottom of the hole. :smitten:

Sweet looking half dime Angel :loveit: :loveit: And you had to beat me didn't you :eyebrow: :girlcry: :girlcry: It is so hard to find them little coins, but they are starting to turn up more frequently. Down around 7?? Nice looking Geo III too. And I think you found some kind of modern dime too :thinkingabout: lol Great stuff. :peace:

Sorry. lol lol

They sure are hard to find. :yes: I kept working that section hoping for a half dime spill. rofl This one was no deeper than 4.5. :yes: The slight surface trash was throwing me off, but I did manage to pinpoint her dead-center. It's a good thing as I would have been doing this :crying02: had I scratched the coin. :shocked04:stretcher: The Barber dime was a nice surprise too. :smitten: lol

Now I'm sure of it. You're trying to make my head explode. lol

That is beyong awesome, Angel! |:confused:)

lol lol

Thanks Tony. :beerbuddy:

BOWSER
08-02-2011, 08:57 PM
Whatever kinda detecta you got ,i want one :omg:

JTGOLD
08-02-2011, 08:59 PM
awsome half dime and nice barber dime = a very good hunt,wtg.

z118
08-02-2011, 09:52 PM
Good lord, any single one of those coins would make my whole week. lol Congrats!

jkress
08-02-2011, 10:50 PM
That is one heck of a half dime Angel. :smitten:
Such crisp detail in this coin. Definitely one for the top shelf of your collection.
Great score on the King George! The Barber and IH round off the hunt nicely.
How deep were the half dime and KG?

angellionel
08-02-2011, 11:10 PM
Thanks guys! :beerbuddy:

That is one heck of a half dime Angel. :smitten:
Such crisp detail in this coin. Definitely one for the top shelf of your collection.
Great score on the King George! The Barber and IH round off the hunt nicely.
How deep were the half dime and KG?

The half dime was at about 4.5, and the KG at about 8.5. :yes:

jkress
08-02-2011, 11:22 PM
The half dime was at about 4.5, and the KG at about 8.5. :yes:

:shocked04: The half dime was not deep at all... especially for when it was probably dropped. Can I assume it was wedged tightly in plenty of trash?

angellionel
08-02-2011, 11:36 PM
:shocked04: The half dime was not deep at all... especially for when it was probably dropped. Can I assume it was wedged tightly in plenty of trash?

Surface trash was light actually, though for being over such a small coin it might as well be a site layered with it. lol The main challenges at this particular site are ground mineralization and EMI. :yes:

fsa46
08-03-2011, 04:26 AM
More great finds Angel, congratulations. thumbsup01

I am trying to decide if your posts are encouraging or discouraging me. :thinkingabout: I'm encouraged to know there are still a lot of old coins to be found, but discouraged to know that I'm not the one finding them, at least not to the extent you are.

I have come to one conclusion thou, these beautiful coins cannot be found while sitting in an airconditioned house. 8/

CTDirtFisher
08-03-2011, 06:27 AM
I am pretty sure this is in the top 5 on everyones want/bucket list... and not to many peeps bring one to the light of day...

Angel... :omg: :omg: :perfect10:

You daMAN!

Lowjiber
08-03-2011, 07:25 AM
Awesome finds, as usual, Angel!

Whatever kinda detecta you got ,i want one :omg:

It's not the wand...it's the wizard.

odave
08-03-2011, 10:38 AM
Angel amazing Capped bust find !! What a beautiful Coin :perfect10: Congrats :beerbuddy:
Your photos are excellent thumbsup01 thumbsup01

aloldstuff
08-03-2011, 10:41 AM
Angel, again and again...fantastic finds. I can't tell you what I would give up for any bust silver. the Kg III looks really good. Congrats on all those finds.

Cheap Thrills
08-03-2011, 11:38 AM
Another mind blowing hunt !! :shocked04: thumbsup01 thumbsup01 It's amazing how many different Type coins you have found . I guess it would be safe to say you could cover a wall with them .That is one collection I would love to see . :clapping:

RobW
08-03-2011, 12:05 PM
I am trying to decide if your posts are encouraging or discouraging me. :thinkingabout: I'm encouraged to know there are still a lot of old coins to be found, but discouraged to know that I'm not the one finding them, at least not to the extent you are.

I have long thought this myself rofl. The problem is I live in the same area as Angel, we probably hunt the same parks....but my finds are NOWHERE like his >{

I just don't get it >:{.....my wife would say the same thing lol

Angel you amaze me with your finds! :shocked04:

Myownwings
08-03-2011, 03:03 PM
I would love to see an article written by Angel on How I research and find old coins..lol

Great job, as usual Angel. Dang you make me jealous sometimes.

Epi-hunter
08-03-2011, 03:19 PM
Congratulations on some great finds, Angel :clapping:

Tony Two-Cent
08-03-2011, 07:33 PM
I'm curious... do you plan on cleaning the Half Dime any further or are you going to leave it like that? For me it would be a tough call, but I would probably attempt to get the tarnish off and the natural silver color back if I knew of a very safe way of doing it.

Ill Digger
08-03-2011, 08:52 PM
:shocked04: That is just sick!! WOW!
What'a beauty :yes: thumbsup01 :drool:
Another great bag of keepers!
Congrats :grin:

angellionel
08-03-2011, 09:44 PM
More great finds Angel, congratulations. thumbsup01

I have come to one conclusion thou, these beautiful coins cannot be found while sitting in an airconditioned house. 8/

I would stick with encouraging. lol They are out there, Frank, just waiting to be found. Thankfully such finds are no limited to just one relatively small geographical area. :happydance01:

I am pretty sure this is in the top 5 on everyones want/bucket list... and not to many peeps bring one to the light of day...

Angel... :omg: :omg: :perfect10:

You daMAN!

Thanks Paul! It was definitely the type of coin I have been concentrating on finding this year. :yes: Now if only a Bust quarter would show up. lol

Awesome finds, as usual, Angel!
It's not the wand...it's the wizard.

Thank you John. :embarrassed:

Angel amazing Capped bust find !! What a beautiful Coin :perfect10: Congrats :beerbuddy:
Your photos are excellent thumbsup01 thumbsup01

Thank you Dave. thumbsup01 She is indeed a beauty. :loveit:

Angel, again and again...fantastic finds. I can't tell you what I would give up for any bust silver. the Kg III looks really good. Congrats on all those finds.

Hang in there... you guys have been hitting the right type of sites, so one may surprise you. :happydance01: Just make sure to video-record the dance. lol

Another mind blowing hunt !! :shocked04: thumbsup01 thumbsup01 It's amazing how many different Type coins you have found . I guess it would be safe to say you could cover a wall with them .That is one collection I would love to see . :clapping:

Now that would be an awesome wall to view! :shocked04: I would not be able to sleep in the same room - I would be too busy admiring the coins. lol

I have long thought this myself rofl. The problem is I live in the same area as Angel, we probably hunt the same parks....but my finds are NOWHERE like his >{

I just don't get it >:{.....my wife would say the same thing lol

Angel you amaze me with your finds! :shocked04:

lol lol

I'm just on a good streak Rob. :happydance01: It will end. :crying02: In the meantime, I'll enjoy the ride. :happydance01:

I would love to see an article written by Angel on How I research and find old coins..lol

Great job, as usual Angel. Dang you make me jealous sometimes.

I would give it a try, but my dry writing would just put readers to sleep. lol Still, it probably would be fun to try and put something together. :thinkingabout:

Congratulations on some great finds, Angel :clapping:

Thank you Angie! :peace:

I'm curious... do you plan on cleaning the Half Dime any further or are you going to leave it like that? For me it would be a tough call, but I would probably attempt to get the tarnish off and the natural silver color back if I knew of a very safe way of doing it.

I think I will leave her as is. :thinkingabout: I do try to remove sulfide that is thick, but in this case the tarnish on the coin is just a light coating. If I do decide at some future time to remove the tarnish, I will use the method I posted here (http://www.americandetectorist.com/forum/index.php?topic=813.0). :yes:

:shocked04: That is just sick!! WOW!
What'a beauty :yes: thumbsup01 :drool:
Another great bag of keepers!
Congrats :grin:

They really should be showing themselves more. :thinkingabout: Imagine coming across a coin spill of Capped Bust half dimes. :drool: An ambulance would be needed. lol

HEAVYMETALNUT
08-04-2011, 06:43 PM
your'e a freakin animal! |:confused:)

tanacat
08-07-2011, 09:33 PM
:shocked04: I missed this one! Way to GO!!! It is in such good condition :shocked04:stretcher: :shocked04:stretcher: :shocked04:stretcher: I'm curious too- if you're going to clean it further... Now that I found a rare specimen (1838o seated dime), I know I should be careful about cleaning. I just rinsed mine w/soap-n-water and put it in a coin sleeve. I wanted so bad to use some baking soda-n-aluminum foil to 'shine it up', but I showed restraint lol

angellionel
08-07-2011, 09:59 PM
:shocked04: I missed this one! Way to GO!!! It is in such good condition :shocked04:stretcher: :shocked04:stretcher: :shocked04:stretcher: I'm curious too- if you're going to clean it further... Now that I found a rare specimen (1838o seated dime), I know I should be careful about cleaning. I just rinsed mine w/soap-n-water and put it in a coin sleeve. I wanted so bad to use some baking soda-n-aluminum foil to 'shine it up', but I showed restraint lol

The light film of tarnish does not bother me, plus it would be best not to try and clean it. I would have done so had there been a heavy layer of sulfide on it. :yes: I don't think you should clean yours, especially with baking soda. It's great as is. :yes:

milco
08-08-2011, 08:18 AM
That's a beautiful coin and I am sure you were happy to bring it to the surface. Capped Bust anything has to be a tough find, and a half-dime even more so. Congrats!