PDA

View Full Version : beach hunting

hockeyguy
08-02-2011, 10:17 PM
I am at a beach right now in NC.....there are not many people here as there's a lot of frontage and only families. Maybe there's 50 or 60 people per 100 yards of beach.

I have spent 5 or 6 hours hunting in the wet sand at low tide with my SE, however, have yet to find anything good. A few clad coins and garbage. I am digging almost anything as you can go an hour in the wet w/o a signal....this beach is clean.

I had to turn the sens way down...anytime I hit the sand it makes a noise. Even if the water rushes under the coil, it makes a noise....what a pain.

Oh yeah, I have yet to see another detectorist anywhere....most people give me one of those strange look at that guy stares.

Any advice and I'll take it.

Cheap Thrills
08-03-2011, 11:53 AM
Sand in the coil cover? maybe see if a noise cancel works ? :thinkingabout:

tanacat
08-05-2011, 07:14 PM
Oh yeah, I have yet to see another detectorist anywhere....most people give me one of those strange look at that guy stares.

lol I know that look very well... the GET A LIFE kind of stare? :yes: I get those from sorority girls on our college campus a lot :grin:

Some people have tried to give me spare change thinking I was homeless or something :huh: lol

Anyway, I don't know anything about ocean/water hunting :)

Spiderwort
08-06-2011, 02:26 PM
I spent the last week of July on Brigantine Island in New Jersey. There were thousands of people on the beach each day. I know well the look LOL. Only saw one other fellow detectorist during the many hours I was working the sands. I gave him the secret detectorist recognition hand signals but he didn't give the proper counter signs. Thinking now he didn't want to be associated with me since i was swinging a DFX. My wife said he ignored me because I was the only person on the beach wearing old olive green BDU pants and an orange hi-vis t-shirt. How shallow!!