PDA

View Full Version : News Story About Metal Detectors Tonight.

MartinL
08-02-2011, 11:36 PM
If you Google KTRK 13 ABC lost my stuff, you'll get to the news site where they have a story and video about metal detecting, in particular, the Lost My Stuff group and how they find stuff for free. it may slip off the website tomorrow, who knows. I really enjoyed it. Good PR for our hobby. martin

CTDirtFisher
08-03-2011, 07:21 AM
http://abclocal.go.com/ktrk/story?section=news/consumer&id=8285201

Dimeman
08-03-2011, 08:37 AM
Channel 13 did a great job presenting the story. thumbsup01

I have met John a few times ( he is a local) and he knows he CAN make a difference by offering the website as THE ONE people will go to to get help finding their lost stuff, for free.

See this thread.......

http://www.americandetectorist.com/forum/index.php?topic=6148.0

OxShoeDrew
08-03-2011, 07:05 PM
Aaww...and a romantic ending.

firstring
08-04-2011, 09:12 AM
I signed for the lost my stuff group and it is pretty good. I live near a river and there is is a business that offers kayak and canoe trips. I got a call from the owner about someone losing a gold wedding band on one of these trips. They gave me a map of the location where the ring was lost and sent me don the river on a kayak (no cost for kayak). Unfortunately the 2 - 3 feet of water where ring was lost, turned out to a very deep pool 15 - 20 feet deep and was running pretty swift. Unable to recover ring. I'm the only one in my area who has signed up. North Bay Area of California. Consider volunteering. The worse case scenario -you may get a free trip down a river. Thank you all

Dimeman
08-04-2011, 11:21 AM
There have been a few posted here and I have been on one---didn't find the item but did make 2 new friends........... :cool:

aloldstuff
08-04-2011, 12:08 PM
just signed up myself. Could be interesting

Mudder
08-04-2011, 08:25 PM
I have been a member for a few months now, but no one and I mean no one ever loses anything in Mississippi.

Fire Fighter 43
08-06-2011, 02:30 PM
I just signed-up on there site. Very nice story and a great idea for promoting our hobby.

MartinL
08-06-2011, 02:58 PM
Biggest problem I have so far, is that I get alerts from w-a-a-a-a-y outside Texas, and mostly Houston area requests inside the state of Texas. There is a lot of work to do at that site IMPO. martin

russellt
08-06-2011, 05:07 PM
ive been part of the lost my stuff group for about 2 months now . i havent been able to offer my services because folks are way away from me .. but i still like to see what people are reporting being lost .

Dimeman
08-06-2011, 07:26 PM
Biggest problem I have so far, is that I get alerts from w-a-a-a-a-y outside Texas, and mostly Houston area requests inside the state of Texas. There is a lot of work to do at that site IMPO. martin

John ( the guy who started it) has been working with his network guy so that you can chose only the state you live in or any area you want to get reports in. He hopes to have that option( instead of getting every lost item report) very soon.
Since the TV spot aired in the Houston area, there have been lots of reports from here.