PDA

View Full Version : Nickel mania

steve in so az
08-03-2011, 03:51 PM
Hit a school play area last Monday for a few hours & today for a few again. It's a fairly large area & almost all near the surface coins were gone. However, using my usual low discrim setting I dug a ton of them from under the thick chipbark and into the harder dirt beneath. Almost none in the chipbark layer.

This is a school that leaves the gate open year round and many other detectorists go there. However, they must be using high discrim only as almost all coins came up real dirty from being deep a long time. Not long enough for silver though.

Here's what I found: total of 154 coins with 41 being NICKELS ! This school has kids that do not wear much gold or I would have almost been guaranteed 1 or 2 pieces with so many nickels being dug. They go hand in hand.

I don't use any readout, vdi numbers, etc, just go by sounds on my Fisher. Here's today's take showing the scrungy coins. I didn't take a pic of Monday's coins. Steve in so az

http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj41/steveinsoaz/83take.jpg

JTGOLD
08-03-2011, 03:59 PM
thats a good hunt steve,good job.

SeabeeRon
08-03-2011, 04:19 PM
It is just me or is your coin count way up this year??!? :twirlingeyes: Funny about those nickels, some days on the beach I get a whole bunch, other times nada! :confused:

steve in so az
08-03-2011, 04:34 PM
Ron - Lately I have had a lot of luck but my count is approaching 7,000 - year end is usually 13-14K so I am a little behind. But who's counting :) Steve

leslie(nova scotia)
08-03-2011, 05:11 PM
From the land of the Bluenose.....nice century Stevie O. <;)

coinnut
08-03-2011, 06:23 PM
Man, all of them nickels and not even a small piece of gold. Either them kids are getting smarter or someone else is real good at their discrimination. lol That sounds like my luck. But you did get a lot of coins and hopefully next time the gold will show itself.

Ill Digger
08-03-2011, 09:01 PM
Yep! My thoughts exactly :yes:
If there was gold there, you'd have found it thumbsup01
Great hunt Steve!
Congrats :grin:

jkress
08-03-2011, 11:35 PM
Wow... that's a lot of nickels. :shocked04:
I sure would have thought a gold would have slipped in there somewhere.
I have evolved into primarily a sound hunter too. Almost all of the information one
needs comes through the headphones. :yes:
Congrats Steve.

Cheap Thrills
08-04-2011, 12:13 AM
Nice going on all that clad . thumbsup01 The gold has been hiding from me also this year . :(

aloldstuff
08-04-2011, 06:50 AM
nice hunting and thought process on the way you did hunt. Huge pile of nickels. Coin count up near 7000...fantastic. Congrats

firstring
08-04-2011, 10:03 AM
Ah, those nickel tones. What can you say? What can you dig? Only ALL those those nickel tones. I bet your hearing is good. I bet you didn't have any sore or tired hands from digging, did you? Great recoveries.

steve in so az
08-04-2011, 10:47 AM
Firstring - Well at 68 years of age one has to have a few hurts from digging. But I have found that if I go out frequently (2-3 times a week) I stay in shape enough to keep the pains away. However, if I go on vacation with no digging it has to start over again when I get back.

All in all, still better than not digging, Steve

tanacat
08-04-2011, 03:17 PM
:beerbuddy: Way to go! I don't find that many nickels in a year! lol