PDA

View Full Version : Hunt With Coinnut - 1921 Semi-Key Date Merc

angellionel
08-04-2011, 05:40 PM
Met up with George (coinnut) this morning to hit a couple of parks in the Connecticut area. Detecting during the morning was pleasant, but by the afternoon the sun's heat was merciless. :shocked01:

We both scored with silver at both of the parks we tried. I ended up with three mercury dimes, one being a semi-key date - 1921. :happydance01: It is in better shape than the one I picked up last year. :smitten:

http://www.angellionel.com/myfinds/2011/August/1921_mercurydime_obv_080411.jpg

http://www.angellionel.com/myfinds/2011/August/1921_mercurydime_rev_080411.jpg

The three mercury dimes, dated 1917, 1921, and 1934.

http://www.angellionel.com/myfinds/2011/August/mercurydimes_080411.jpg

The rest of the good stuff - three Indian Head cents, eleven wheat cents, two religious pendants, and a small transit token.

http://www.angellionel.com/myfinds/2011/August/wheatsandih_080411.jpg

HH!

Cheap Thrills
08-04-2011, 05:55 PM
Nice going on the 21' and that is the nicest 17' Iv'e seen pulled out of the ground , all mine are very worn down from heavy circulation. thumbsup01 thumbsup01

JTGOLD
08-04-2011, 06:03 PM
awsome 21 and 17 merc's nice IH and wheats too,great hunt.

HEAVYMETALNUT
08-04-2011, 06:39 PM
nice day out Angel! congrats on the semi key! a handful of IH's too sweet!

coinnut
08-04-2011, 07:17 PM
Congrats on the '21 Merc :peace: Always nice to see a rarer one come out of the ground. It was nice in the AM but that sun killed us later on lol Wimps rofl Thanks for the invite out and one day I am gonna get this park hunting thing :cheesysmile: I had a good day of learning and I'm starting to get the feel of Wheats anyhow lol Found 12 of them, 6 pre 1924, including the ultra rare 1909 with the missing S VDB variety :hairpulling: Got 1 Indian 1892, lots of clad and 22 aluminum bottle caps too 8/ Happy with my only silver coin, the '42 Merc (also the ultra rare variety that has the missing overdate :dontknow:) Scored the toddler's bracelet (or whatever it is) early in the hunt, so I could relax after that. All I asked was that I didn't get skunked today lol A pretty good day and just happy to get 2 pieces of silver :yes:

[attachimg=1]
[attachimg=2]
[attachimg=3]
[attachimg=4]
[attachimg=5]
[attachimg=6]

HEAVYMETALNUT
08-04-2011, 07:22 PM
nice G! silver is always sweet!

Cheap Thrills
08-04-2011, 07:34 PM
Good hunt George , love the bracelet and the Merc'. thumbsup01 :cool:

Epi-hunter
08-04-2011, 08:47 PM
Met up with George (coinnut) this morning to hit a couple of parks in the Connecticut area. Detecting during the morning was pleasant, but by the afternoon the sun's heat was merciless. :shocked01:

We both scored with silver at both of the parks we tried. I ended up with three mercury dimes, one being a semi-key date - 1921. :happydance01: It is in better shape than the one I picked up last year.

Very nice 1921 merc Angel :yes: and the other ones too. :happydance01: I think you are both insane to detect in this heat, though :shocked04:stretcher:

Epi-hunter
08-04-2011, 08:50 PM
Congrats on tha '21 Merc :peace: Always nice to see a rarer one come out of the ground. It was nice in the AM but that sun killed us later on lol Wimps rofl Thanks for the invite out and one day I am gonna get this park hunting thing :cheesysmile: I had a good day of learning and I'm starting to get the feel of Wheats anyhow lol Found 12 of them, 6 pre 1924, including the ultra rare 1909 with the missing S VDB variety :hairpulling: Got 1 Indian 1892, lots of clad and 22 aluminum bottle caps too 8/ Happy with my only silver coin, the '42 Merc (also the ultra rare variety that has the missing overdate :dontknow:) Scored the toddler's bracelet (or whatever it is) early in the hunt, so I could relax after that. All I asked was that I didn't get skunked today lol A pretty good day and just happy to get 2 pieces of silver :yes:

You counted the bottle caps? lol Very nice merc too! And I love the turquoise and silver bracelet :clapping:

I'm sorry the sun killed you... but you two asked for it lol Were you impersonating camels again or did you actually stay hydrated? :bop: It's way too hot to detect :stretcher:

coinnut
08-04-2011, 09:16 PM
You counted the bottle caps? lol

I'm sorry the sun killed you... but you two asked for it lol Were you impersonating camels again or did you actually stay hydrated? :bop:

Yeah, The bottle caps were mimicking different coins, so they should count as something lol Just wanted to show that the inexperienced turf hunter is gonna find lots of these rofl As for hydration :thinkingabout: I did think of water a lot lol We were pretty good about it :-\ No one passed out :cheesysmile:

jkress
08-04-2011, 10:25 PM
Man, with you two armed with detectors entering the park... everything from 1964 and earlier were desperately trying to burrow deeper as fast as possible. :yes: lol
Glad to see you guys got out for a hunt. As expected... you both scored some really nice ones.
Excellent job fellas. Congrats to both of you.

angellionel
08-04-2011, 10:27 PM
Congrats on the '21 Merc :peace: Always nice to see a rarer one come out of the ground. It was nice in the AM but that sun killed us later on lol Wimps rofl Thanks for the invite out and one day I am gonna get this park hunting thing :cheesysmile: I had a good day of learning and I'm starting to get the feel of Wheats anyhow lol Found 12 of them, 6 pre 1924, including the ultra rare 1909 with the missing S VDB variety :hairpulling: Got 1 Indian 1892, lots of clad and 22 aluminum bottle caps too 8/ Happy with my only silver coin, the '42 Merc (also the ultra rare variety that has the missing overdate :dontknow:) Scored the toddler's bracelet (or whatever it is) early in the hunt, so I could relax after that. All I asked was that I didn't get skunked today lol A pretty good day and just happy to get 2 pieces of silver :yes:

Those are some good old wheat cents. One of these days we will finally dig up a 1909 that has an 'S' and VDB on it. :happydance01: lol Very nice details on the merc. :smitten: At least we scored with some good finds despite the heat. :clapping: It was a fun hunt. :peace:

fsa46
08-05-2011, 06:06 AM
Yes Sir,that's a great hunt. :yes: Considering the temps and the parks probably have been hit hard,you both dug some very nice finds, had a great time , almost got heat stroke ( but didn't ). lol

Hey George, you did good, nice finds indeed and didn't let Angel spank you into submission. :blackeye: :stretcher: :bop: :poke:

Come down this Fall, we'll do a cellar hole and you can put a wooping on me. :white:usaflag::

aloldstuff
08-05-2011, 06:47 AM
Another nice hunt. Angel, you trying to teach coinnut how to hunt parks? Both of ya had some good finds. Congrats on the 21 merc. My therory on the 1909's, they all start out with an S, some with the S VDB, but as they are being dug out of there resting spots, they can remove the S or S VDB, depending upon if they like you. LOL Great hunting

RobW
08-05-2011, 08:17 AM
Those are some good old wheat cents. One of these days we will finally dig up a 1909 that has an 'S' and VDB on it. :happydance01: lol

Angel...you probably have and just don't know it since you don't clean your wheats! rofl Rare coins (such as the 1921 Merc) just seek YOU out lol

Great hunting guys...see your working hard.....like the rest of us lol

randy
08-07-2011, 05:25 PM
Great hunts guys. '21 is a sweet find <: And I know you'll get that 16D as well someday.

coinnut
08-07-2011, 07:43 PM
Hey George, you did good, nice finds indeed and didn't let Angel spank you into submission. :blackeye: :stretcher: :bop: :poke:

Come down this Fall, we'll do a cellar hole and you can put a wooping on me. :white:usaflag::

Yeah I got lucky enought to not get hammered lol This is the closest I've gotten to Angel yet. One day I will beat him rofl Then I will retire. :cheesysmile:

Dan and I would love to get together for a hunt in the fall. We will be gentle on you :bop: :cheesysmile: :cheesysmile:

you trying to teach coinnut how to hunt parks?

Shhhhhh. I'm taking advantage of the fact that this guy lives close enough to show me how to harvest them silvers lol Don't want him to start charging me a fee :-\

angellionel
08-07-2011, 09:26 PM
Another nice hunt. Angel, you trying to teach coinnut how to hunt parks? Both of ya had some good finds. Congrats on the 21 merc. My therory on the 1909's, they all start out with an S, some with the S VDB, but as they are being dug out of there resting spots, they can remove the S or S VDB, depending upon if they like you. LOL Great hunting

Don't let him fool you. lol He knows how to make his E-TRAC talk to him. :thinkingabout: I am only trying to keep a step ahead, but it won't last. lol

Angel...you probably have and just don't know it since you don't clean your wheats! rofl Rare coins (such as the 1921 Merc) just seek YOU out lol

Great hunting guys...see your working hard.....like the rest of us lol

Yeah, I do need to clean them. :shocked04: I may just be very pleasantly surprised. :drool: