PDA

View Full Version : LARGE CENT,2 CENT & MY 1ST COMPLETE KNEE BUCKLE

HEAVYMETALNUT
08-04-2011, 06:55 PM
after a small painting job took a cruise up to a cellar hole me & sniffy hit awhile back.
last visit there i got a matron head & sniffy got a real ornate cloak button.seemed pretty quiet last time we were there and after a few hours packed it in.
the site is narrow close to rd up on a hill.
today was a shocker & never expected this stuff to pop out :confused:
up on a small incline leading up to where i think outhouse was all this stuff came from that area.i kicked downed branches aside and VOILA paydirt!
a nice 1837 matron head large cent(looks like a die crack going through stars),,a 1865 2 center,a holed blank what i think is a copper? :confused:
a designed pewter button (with a tombac style coned shank) and last but not least my 1st complete knee buckle.was a sweet 4 hour aftrenoon hunt for sure!
not sure if i can count the holed copper disc as a copper about the same thickness & diameter as a braided hair LC

HEAVYMETALNUT
08-04-2011, 06:56 PM
more pics

Cheap Thrills
08-04-2011, 07:37 PM
Super hunt and great pictures .I love seeing that cool older stuff . :perfect10:

MassDirtFisher
08-04-2011, 07:48 PM
Excellent Hunt , Nice 2 center and Large Cent!! Cool Buckle!! Happy Hunting!!

Epi-hunter
08-04-2011, 08:53 PM
Just amazing finds and excellent photos. That two cent coin is in beautiful condition! :clapping:

coinnut
08-04-2011, 09:21 PM
Nice looking coins Dave :peace: That copper cleaned up really nice and the 2 cent piece isn't far behind it. I'd check that copper washer for any signs of being a copper (even if you have to scratch some stars on it) lol Nice looking thimble too. But of course the find of the hunt for you is your first complete knee buckle. It looks like a nice old one. Congrats on a great hunt!!

JTGOLD
08-04-2011, 09:54 PM
very nice finds and good hunt,wtg.

BOWSER
08-04-2011, 09:58 PM
excellent ,thanks for sharing :perfect10:

jkress
08-04-2011, 10:20 PM
Excellent hunt HMN. :clapping:
If I could pull a LC, 2ยข and a gorgeous buckle in one night... <:
But for now :daydream:
Great stuff.

aloldstuff
08-05-2011, 06:50 AM
Great hunt. Congrats on all those keepers, the knee buckle looks great. I could hope for a LC coming out of the ground in that condition.

HEAVYMETALNUT
08-05-2011, 07:52 AM
Great hunt. Congrats on all those keepers, the knee buckle looks great. I could hope for a LC coming out of the ground in that condition.

thanks! they don't come out that often like this.good drainage on this little slope

aloldstuff
08-05-2011, 07:59 AM
thanks! they don't come out that often like this.good drainage on this little slope

That's twice I have heard about drainage being a big factor in the condition of a coin. I'll have to start paying attention to the condition of coins I dig on a slope.

RobW
08-05-2011, 08:14 AM
Awsome Hunt! :clapping:

del
08-05-2011, 08:17 AM
great looking large cent Dave :envious: and a big congrats on your first knee buckle :perfect10: thats a cast brass variety that same design mold is used for alot of solid silver ones that are seldom seen. i think CTodd (you know him ) on one of the other forums just found one . congrats on a super hunt :beerbuddy:

Dan

OxShoeDrew
08-05-2011, 02:49 PM
The buckle has beautiful detail. :yes:

rsarge1
08-05-2011, 06:09 PM
awesome hunt I would love to find any one of those in the whole season of hunting wtg :perfect10:

HEAVYMETALNUT
08-06-2011, 06:42 AM
great looking large cent Dave :envious: and a big congrats on your first knee buckle :perfect10: thats a cast brass variety that same design mold is used for alot of solid silver ones that are seldom seen. i think CTodd (you know him ) on one of the other forums just found one . congrats on a super hunt :beerbuddy:

Dan

thanks Dan! yeah i was pretty excited as i have only found knee buckle frames so far.the pin is brass as the magnet wont stick to it.any tips to free up the tongue and chape? to get it workin?
or just leave it be :confused:

zrickkid
08-06-2011, 12:07 PM
Cool stuff. I especially love the buckle. :angelic: