PDA

View Full Version : 1935 Buffalo Nickel and Olive Oil

switch
08-04-2011, 07:28 PM
I soaked the 1935 Buffalo Nickel I found for a week and a half in olive oil and then cleaned it with a soft tooth brush. Thought the results were really good. :yes:

Ill Digger
08-04-2011, 07:35 PM
Looks like it came out really nice!
Mine are usually all red! :rolleyes: lol

aloldstuff
08-05-2011, 06:52 AM
try worcester sauce. I have used it and it removes the red

tanacat
08-07-2011, 10:10 PM
Yours doesn't look red like all of mine do- was it red before you soaked it in oil? Perhaps it's my limestone Kentucky soil lol

I find soil conditions and the effects on coins to be pretty fascinating. I experimented with cleaning a buff last night/today and started a thread with the results:

http://www.americandetectorist.com/forum/index.php?topic=6667.0

switch
08-12-2011, 07:09 PM
Worcestershire Sauce, tooth brush, water, and a few hours produced this :omg: :

tanacat
08-13-2011, 08:18 AM
:clapping: Wow- it looks great Switch! Are you going to do all yours like that? I think I will... it's nice to be able to see what they are in display book- when they're dark you have to hold them to the side.

switch
08-13-2011, 08:43 AM
I totally am :-). Can't wait to do the V nickels I just found, but I have them in olive oil right now! Your nickel looks great as well, I am still in shock that you can actually bring the color back lol

ChrisinCT
10-25-2012, 07:48 AM
Worcestershire Sauce, tooth brush, water, and a few hours produced this :omg: :

Thank you for this now I can clean up my V nickel and use the nasty Worcestershire sauce that's been in the spice cabinet for years. I can't stand the taste.

Does this method work on other coins or just nickel ?

RaZR
10-25-2012, 03:55 PM
Thank you for this now I can clean up my V nickel and use the nasty Worcestershire sauce that's been in the spice cabinet for years. I can't stand the taste.

Does this method work on other coins or just nickel ?

It works on nickels but i have never used it on any other coins. I use cheap soy sauce and a yogurt cup. I lean the nickel against the side of the cup. And pour the soy sauce back in the bottle after use. It's kept with my detecting stuff so nobody will eat it. :barf:

magicwand
04-07-2013, 03:19 AM
My better half is a Avon rep.....and she reccomended that I try AVON's Skin so Soft on my dug wheaties which are usually in deplorable condition.3 or 4 drops in a cup of warm water....add a few coins ....let soak overnight...repeat as often as necessary.....those unreadable dates become readable after a few brushings with a tooth brush.My next try will be in a plastic container with a cover....get some gravel,add warm water and Skin so Soft and do a whole lot of shaking!Great workout for your upper body and the coins come out smelling a whole lot better than olive oil!

Sal66
05-10-2013, 02:12 AM
:omg: I have a question , as usual. lol. Does the coin feel gritty after it's done or does it still feel smooth. I tried to clean a Buffalo and it turned rusty then I used just a tiny bit of Vinegar with mostly water, let it soak for an hour then brushed it. It came out clean but it was gritty. It was like I removed that top layer or something. That's why I asked if it feels smooth or not .

switch
09-05-2013, 07:32 AM
I think it is gritty because the pits of the coin are filled with surface patina. When you soak the coin in what is essentially acid, it takes all of that out. I am wondering about experimenting with using stuff to sort of fill the grit., but really it doesn't bother me much unless it is really really bad. but I keep a close eye on a coin when it soaks, and as soon as it lightens up I take it out.

coinnut
09-05-2013, 06:04 PM
I think it is gritty because the pits of the coin are filled with surface patina. When you soak the coin in what is essentially acid, it takes all of that out. I am wondering about experimenting with using stuff to sort of fill the grit., but really it doesn't bother me much unless it is really really bad. but I keep a close eye on a coin when it soaks, and as soon as it lightens up I take it out.

I have thought about using a filler too :thinkingabout: But you need a good microscope or goggle magnifiers and small tools. A steady hand wouldn't hurt either lol

switch
09-06-2013, 07:41 AM
I have thought about using a filler too :thinkingabout: But you need a good microscope or goggle magnifiers and small tools. A steady hand wouldn't hurt either lol

I suppose it might be worth the time if you have something super rare to do that. |:cheering:

I haven't found something crazy yet. :cheesysmile:

I found a 1900 IH yesterday and it would be in AU if it wasn't totally green. :(

RobW
09-06-2013, 02:48 PM
I have thought about using a filler too :thinkingabout:

Let's see you use sandpaper on large cents....what would you use as a filler....wood fill? :poke: :poke: :poke:rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl

coinnut
09-08-2013, 06:06 PM
Let's see you use sandpaper on large cents....what would you use as a filler....wood fill? :poke: :poke: :poke:rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl

:hysterical: Did you ever get a better camera yet? :poke: :poke: ............ :poke: :cheesysmile:

milco
09-08-2013, 08:21 PM
That one turned out real nice and has great details and not too worn, nice job!