PDA

View Full Version : MD tones

OxShoeDrew
08-05-2011, 07:39 PM
I asked this question in another forum but I don't suspect I'll get many replies....so I'll ask it here. I had two bounty hunters which made tones that were unrelated diatonically speaking. One machine's tones were a half step higher than the other. My new Garrett 350's tones are diatonically related, and suggest a key. I don't have perfect pitch so I don't know the actual notes and don't care enough to check it. But, what is the thought process that goes into choosing tones? I think I am going to get tired of hearing buglecall-like tunes when I'm trying to ascertain what type of junk I've found :-)

coinnut
08-05-2011, 07:57 PM
I asked this question in another forum but I don't suspect I'll get many replies....so I'll ask it here. I had two bounty hunters which made tones that were unrelated diatonically speaking. One machine's tones were a half step higher than the other. My new Garrett 350's tones are diatonically related, and suggest a key. I don't have perfect pitch so I don't know the actual notes and don't care enough to check it. But, what is the thought process that goes into choosing tones? I think I am going to get tired of hearing buglecall-like tunes when I'm trying to ascertain what type of junk I've found :-)

I think it depends on how many tones they want to give you. In other words how much separation they want between different targets. I personally like as many tones as possible so that you don't lump in two different targets into one tone (like a clad dime and a silver dime). Usually in the cheaper units, there are less tones, so a pull tab may be lumped with a bunch of other targets. I'm not sure they are trying to do any kind of scale, musically though. They probably start with a low tone that everyone's ears should hear and a high tone that the older people can still hear, and the rest are spaced between them. That's how I would do it anyways lol On your Garrett, the may have just done a do re mi type of scale, just cause it's pleasing to the ears.

Epi-hunter
08-05-2011, 08:37 PM

The fact that you use the word 'diatonic' at all means that you are a musician.

You are the ideal person to hear 30-plus tones that the high-end detectors produce. There is no thought process with regards to assigning pitch, other than to assign a different one for different frequencies. I suspect you would do best with the largest number of pitches assigned to frequencies. You will learn to use those to differentiate trash from good targets.... and distinguish between good targets. :)