PDA

View Full Version : Saturday Road Trip Silver

angellionel
08-06-2011, 07:11 PM
On Saturdays I usually head out to sites located outside of my immediate area, preferring to leave the local sites for hunts late in the day during the weekdays. This allows me to make better use of my time to explore new sites or to detect at parks I otherwise would not be able to hit on weekdays. Today was one of those Saturdays.

With my battery pack fully charged I headed out to the Boston area and worked a park that has yielded many silver coins on previous hunts. The silver does not come easy though, since the park is layered with much trash, especially the hated aluminum screw caps. But the hard work paid off, for I was able to leave the park with six more silver coins - a Franklin half dollar, three Roosevelt dimes, and two mercury dimes.

http://www.angellionel.com/myfinds/2011/August/5_silvercoins_080611.jpg

I also dug up a mess of clad coins and the following runner's medal. The back is inscribed with 3rd prize, 100 yds, JR, 9-2-23.

http://www.angellionel.com/myfinds/2011/August/runners_medal_1923_080611.jpg

HH!

silver star
08-06-2011, 07:42 PM
Big congrats on the silver and rest of your finds. WTG!!! You are killing on silver thumbsup01 Good luck and HH. Mike

Epi-hunter
08-06-2011, 07:55 PM
Congrats on the silver... especially the half :shocked04:stretcher: It says something that the half was still there for you to find among the copious trash. I am sure it didn't scream out at you.

Too bad a bulldozer can't go through there and take off the first four inches :)

I really like the runner's medal; very cool old find :clapping:

MassDirtFisher
08-06-2011, 08:12 PM
Watch out buried silver !!! Here comes Angel!! Nice silvers Angel!! Congrats and Happy Hunting!!

mike l
08-06-2011, 08:14 PM
Awesome hunt, love the half and the medal :clapping:

OxShoeDrew
08-06-2011, 08:23 PM
What does the front of the medal say? Boston Park DC? Can you look up who won the event that year?

coinnut
08-06-2011, 08:29 PM
You worked hard for that silver today lol Then screwcaps are worse than Zincolns >:# Just think of how much silver is lying directly underneath junk :hairpulling: You did well getting those coins out. I bet your brain needs a rest from all them tones rofl Nice medal and personalized too thumbsup01

angellionel
08-06-2011, 11:20 PM
Big congrats on the silver and rest of your finds. WTG!!! You are killing on silver thumbsup01 Good luck and HH. Mike

Thanks Mike! thumbsup01

Congrats on the silver... especially the half :shocked04:stretcher: It says something that the half was still there for you to find among the copious trash. I am sure it didn't scream out at you.

Too bad a bulldozer can't go through there and take off the first four inches :)

I really like the runner's medal; very cool old find :clapping:

No, the half did not scream out at all. It was more of a whimper, at least on the first two passes. rofl Yeah, a scrape at that park would be like inviting a kid to pick whatever he wants and however much he wants from a candy store. lol

Watch out buried silver !!! Here comes Angel!! Nice silvers Angel!! Congrats and Happy Hunting!!

lol lol I'm sure a lot of the silver at that park is still hiding from me. :thinkingabout:

Awesome hunt, love the half and the medal :clapping:

I like that the medal has the exact date when it was handed out. :yes:

What does the front of the medal say? Boston Park DC? Can you look up who won the event that year?

I cleaned it up a bit. The words are: Boston Park Dept. It would be neat to be able to narrow down the event where the medal was given. :yes:

You worked hard for that silver today lol Then screwcaps are worse than Zincolns >:# Just think of how much silver is lying directly underneath junk :hairpulling: You did well getting those coins out. I bet your brain needs a rest from all them tones rofl Nice medal and personalized too thumbsup01

Yeah, those screwcaps were murderous. lol After three hours of constant tones everything started to sound alike. lol There is more silver under all of that trash for sure. :drool:

Cheap Thrills
08-06-2011, 11:43 PM
I had a six silver day once in my career the memory of that and seeing your posts and some of the others is really making me antsy for another one . Once again great going on another fantastic hunt !! |:confused:) :clapping: thumbsup01 thumbsup01

jkress
08-07-2011, 09:54 PM
Awesome job pulling those beauties from the trash! :clapping:
Love the Franklin. :smitten:
Congrats Angel.

JTGOLD
08-07-2011, 11:16 PM
big and little silver day = great hunt,wtg.

fsa46
08-08-2011, 05:45 AM
Six silver in one hunt, what a home run. :cheering: Congratulations :groovy:

milco
08-08-2011, 08:15 AM
That is a fantastic hunt! I love the candy store reference on the thought of a park scrape! rofl

aloldstuff
08-08-2011, 08:24 AM
Excellent hunting. 6 more silvers to the total...awesome. That franklin is still eluding me but someday...Congrats on all the finds. The runners medal is really cool

RobW
08-08-2011, 08:26 AM
Very nice! :clapping: