PDA

View Full Version : Metal Detecting LEO Encounters!

M-Taliesin
08-07-2011, 02:23 PM
Howdy Folks!
I am interested in hearing about any metal detecting incidents of encounters with Law Enforcement Officers (LEO's) and how you were treated.

I've had several myself, and wonder how many others have had LEO encounters while metal detecting. Of the ones I've had, most were positive and the LEO simply curious about who I was, and what I was doing. Once they understood that I was not engaged in some nefarious activity, they'd ask all the usual questions curious folks have about metal detecting. I've also had an LEO encounter that wasn't at all positive and the officer in question actively tried to infringe on my right to enjoy my hobby on public land. After a discussion with his supervisor, I haven't been bothered again.

So what experiences do you have with LEOs? Have you been approached? Was the encounter positive, or did they challenge your detecting a particular location?

I am pro LEO for the most part, but there exist a few that will exceed their authority. So I am interested in both positive and not so positive encounters others have experienced.

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

coinnut
08-07-2011, 02:29 PM
Most of the encounters I have had were because someone didn't like to see us digging and called them. Most of those ended with us staying as long as it was legal. Some, we offered to leave since it would have just lead to another call for them lol I would go back there on another day, usually early. As for them just driving by and stopping? All have been curiosity questions and never had an issue with them or was asked to leave. Around here, they have a lot of more important things to delve into lol And the paperwork end is a nightmare ;)

Dimeman
08-07-2011, 07:26 PM
I usually search in open park areas and haven't had any city police officers tell me to leave. I have been detecting for over 40 years---no bad run ins with any of them.
I have had a few come and inquire about detecting, and have had many of the park cleanup crew workers thank me for helping keep the area clean of metal items.
In quite a few parks I have detected in, some of the park crew white shirts( supervisors) have driven by and even waved hello.

aloldstuff
08-08-2011, 10:31 AM
Well really only 2. One I initiated, was going to hit a local park here in town and I had parked very near a cruiser. So out of my car I go, gear in hand and I walked over to the officer and told him what I was going to do. He stated that I was not going to do any metal detecting as it was against the law to do so on public land. I very politely asked him to call the station to verify that as I have been all over town doing just that. He called on his cell phone, I'm watching his reactions, he hangs up and advises me to have a great day detecting in these parks.

The other incident I had was just a curiosity check up after some seniors called and said that there was a guy, 45-50, slender build, possible Hispanic digging on the land. I had permission from the proper authorities to be there, I'm 57, not really slender and not Hispanic. The cop shows up, I'm waiting for him, asked him if he needed my ID. Oh no he says, just your name. He then says I'm not gonna ask you to leave and he hopes that I find something good. Asked a few questions about metal detecting and off he went. I then proceeded right back to where that senior had called from and started detecting.

So far positive interactions with LEO's

M-Taliesin
08-08-2011, 10:56 AM
Howdy Folks!
I've had several encounters with LEOs over the past 4 years, most of them positive in nature. There were two that went badly. I did not know my rights then, but have learned a great deal since. For example, the officer must have reasonable and articulatable suspicion of a crime that has been committed, is being committed or is about to be committed. Lacking RAS or Probable Cause, they have no right to detain an individual. If all you are doing is metal detecting, then they shouldn't be bothering you.

Now that I carry a firearm for my own protection, although I have a CCW permit I still prefer to open carry, I may end up having more such encounters. I don't know. It is ironic that I've had several encounters over metal detecting, but not a single one since I started openly carrying my sidearm!

If I am approached by an officer today, my first question will be Am I being detained? If the officer says yes, then I will ask what RAS or PC they have for the detainment. If they say no, my next question is Am I free to go? A positive answer to that question will terminate the encounter because I'll just go back to minding my own business.

During any encounter, I will not give any answers to any questions of any sort whatsoever because this is my right under the 5th Amendment. The only reason they ask questions is to find some reason to make an arrest. No matter how innocent the answers you give, you can hang yourself by simply stating you were in a location where a crime took place that you knew nothing about. Any defense attorney will assert that you should not talk to police. Ever. With that being said, I don't much mind having a cordial conversation, but will only talk about metal detecting as a hobby, and nothing to implicate myself in any way whatsoever. Even if I found a pocketful of gold or silver, I will only admit to finding a few coins here and there. Otherwise, they could confiscate the valuable items found, and I'll never see them again!

Anyhow, I'd like to hear from everybody about their encounters with LEO. Some will be positive, others negative. We all are likely to experience an LEO encounter, and I want to learn how each person deals with that eventuality.

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

bob_e99
08-08-2011, 05:40 PM
Just had my first near experience this past Saturday morning at about 6:15 AM. They pulled into the park where I was detecting and stayed for about 35 minutes never getting out or asking me anything. It's possible they were on a break but I think someone called them because there were two people sitting in different locations really watching me. I have a hunch that one of them may have called.

M-Taliesin
08-10-2011, 11:02 AM
Just had my first near experience this past Saturday morning at about 6:15 AM. They pulled into the park where I was detecting and stayed for about 35 minutes never getting out or asking me anything. It's possible they were on a break but I think someone called them because there were two people sitting in different locations really watching me. I have a hunch that one of them may have called.

Howdy Pardner!
Pipster and me were hunting a city park in Parker. It was well after dark and the officer sat there and just watched us. He was there quite awhile. He didn't approach us, and we didn't approach him.

Something I learned recently is that they have no excuse to approach you without Reasonable Articulatable Suspicion. RAS for short. They must have a reasonable suspicion that can be articulated that a crime has happened, is happening or is about to happen. Without RAS, they cannot detain you, no matter how brief the encounter.

That is a handy thing for folks to understand. They cannot detain you or ask questions without RAS. So, if approached by an officer who starts asking questions, my first reponse is Am I being detained? If the answer is no, I'll bid them a good day and be on my way. Unless, of course, they are just really curious about metal detecting. I'll be only too happy to share what I know.

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

bob_e99
08-15-2011, 06:18 AM
Howdy Pardner!
Pipster and me were hunting a city park in Parker. It was well after dark and the officer sat there and just watched us. He was there quite awhile. He didn't approach us, and we didn't approach him.

Something I learned recently is that they have no excuse to approach you without Reasonable Articulatable Suspicion. RAS for short. They must have a reasonable suspicion that can be articulated that a crime has happened, is happening or is about to happen. Without RAS, they cannot detain you, no matter how brief the encounter.

That is a handy thing for folks to understand. They cannot detain you or ask questions without RAS. So, if approached by an officer who starts asking questions, my first reponse is Am I being detained? If the answer is no, I'll bid them a good day and be on my way. Unless, of course, they are just really curious about metal detecting. I'll be only too happy to share what I know.

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

Do you know if this a state law or does it apply everywhere?
Also, this is not a site for political discussion and I do not want to start one, but with national security as the main excuse, can they ignore that law? I know people who have been approached for taking pictures of bridges.

Thank you.