PDA

View Full Version : copper question

deltacornbread
01-18-2010, 06:38 AM
I was out yesterday and for whatever reason it was penny day for me. No wheats or indian just coppers dated from 59 to 67. Anyway, one thing I noticed and that was that the e-trac seemed to be directional in finding the pennies. What I mean is that when making the 360 check I would lose the pennies in most directions. Did not notice this with the few dimes and the only quarter I found. Also found a silver lockit and it read good 360.
I was running a modified coin program from Sabisch's book in the trashy areas. In the (somewhat) clean area I was running in quickmask with the 28+FE blocked.
Anyone else experience this? Maybe the penny gods just turned my pennies on edge yesterday? :grin:
Oh yea, I should mention this. Found a dime that was stuck to a rusty bottle cap at 6+ inches. Nothing iffy about it. It defintely read dime near trash! :)

coinnut
01-18-2010, 04:30 PM
Interesting on the Memorials?? I find they read at 12-44, sometimes 12-45. But I don't pinpoint by turning 90 degrees and scanning the target again. I will try that on my next Memorial. I'm sure Del will tell you that I am quite capable of finding the only Memorial anywhere near a colonial cellar hole lol. As far as coins on edge, they sometimes read funny, but I doubt all of yours were at an angle. Unless it was tilled not too long ago and didn't have time to level out. It will be interesting to see if it's that way on everyone's machine, or just yours. It could be your program, but I doubt it, especially if you only have 28 and up disc'ed out. But a modified Andy's program may partially hide them at an angle. I've noticed, that with my E Trac, I have to be careful and allow some room around each number, so I don't cancel or partially cancel a target out. May possibly be lots of small iron and the bits were scattered around them too. If you get one again, open up the screen some and see if they hit hard. If they do, you may have too tight a discrimination pattern and are losing other items as well.

deltacornbread
01-19-2010, 10:18 AM
Interesting on the Memorials?? I find they read at 12-44, sometimes 12-45. But I don't pinpoint by turning 90 degrees and scanning the target again. I will try that on my next Memorial. I'm sure Del will tell you that I am quite capable of finding the only Memorial anywhere near a colonial cellar hole lol. As far as coins on edge, they sometimes read funny, but I doubt all of yours were at an angle. Unless it was tilled not too long ago and didn't have time to level out. It will be interesting to see if it's that way on everyone's machine, or just yours. It could be your program, but I doubt it, especially if you only have 28 and up disc'ed out. But a modified Andy's program may partially hide them at an angle. I've noticed, that with my E Trac, I have to be careful and allow some room around each number, so I don't cancel or partially cancel a target out. May possibly be lots of small iron and the bits were scattered around them too. If you get one again, open up the screen some and see if they hit hard. If they do, you may have too tight a discrimination pattern and are losing other items as well.

Was doing this in quick mask. Ground has not been disturbed in years. Just seemed a bit odd. Went to another park yesterday for awhile and did not notice this. But yesterday was hunting playground with pea gravel, so really am comparing apples and oranges.
Next time I go back to the park I was at Sunday, will pay more attention to details and report back.