PDA

View Full Version : 1 Button - - 1 Military

aloldstuff
08-07-2011, 05:07 PM
I found this button the other day. The back has C G LEWIS at the top and at the bottom Guaranteed ( I'm pretty sure). There is a lot of gold gilt on this button. I am looking for any way to clean this up and possibly the age.

The military item was not found by myself but by a very senior metal detectorist many years ago. I had the opportunity to go thru his box of items he managed to keep over the years and I thought this one was cool. It was probably dug in CT. Any ideas on origin, age??

Thanks for reading and keep diggin

del
08-07-2011, 06:50 PM
Al the button looks to be around the early 1800's era maybe to about the 1830's , are you very sure about the maker mark on the back ?? as i have almost no info on a C.G. Lewis , other to say he might have been an English manufacturer. to get the gold gilt come out take a toothbrush with some CLR to it , that will get the grime off. the crossed cannon hat badge is in great shape but have been unable to narrow down the date , only to say its definately post civil war and maybe as new as WW1 era.

Dan

aloldstuff
08-07-2011, 08:08 PM
Dan, thanks for all the info. I am pretty sure of the name on that button but after I put some CLR on it maybe it will be clearer.

jkress
08-07-2011, 11:56 PM
Nice button Al.

I found a Field Artillery pin last year and came across a very helpful person at the US Field Artillery Association that was able to identify/date the one I found from a picture sent by email. The one you posted looks older than the one I found.

Check your PM's for the her email address. thumbsup01