PDA

View Full Version : Silver where it shouldn't be, not where it should

z118
08-07-2011, 10:03 PM
Couple of day's hunts here...

Short evening hunts on Thursday and Friday at the sweet spot gave up a bit of clad, a few more wheats, and a nice Merc.

Saturday I headed several towns over and did the tot lot thing. I scored a few bucks in clad and a 1953 dime which was a nice surprise. That's my second silver dime from a tot lot this year. I then headed to a nice grass lot in a nearby residential area. I had driven by this spot a few times before and thought it looked interesting... so I finally gave it a go. The ground was bone dry but I still did pretty well, digging 72 coins in a few hours. Among them were 14 wheats, 2 Buffalo nickels, a 1945 war nickel, and a 194? nickel. Those are good results for me but I'm scratching my head a bit over the lack of silver (other than the war nickel). 14 wheats and those old nickels tells me there should be silver there. So either I was just unlucky or someone has gone through in the past and cherry picked. One way or another I'll give in another try in the fall, hopefully when the ground is wetter and better for detecting and digging. Other than coins I dug a presidential token, a junk ring, and what I think are some old square nails at this spot.

Today (Sunday) I hit a few more tot lots a landed some more clad, a bunch of tokens, a 20 cent Euro coin, and a .925 bling Jesus.

Total for the 4 days was 257 coins worth $19.56.

Happy Hunting!

JTGOLD
08-07-2011, 11:19 PM
two very good hunts they add up,wtg.

jkress
08-07-2011, 11:20 PM
Great couple of hunts Z. :clapping:
You've been on quite the run lately. Keep at it.
Hopefully I got your post to where you wanted it. thumbsup01

Cheap Thrills
08-08-2011, 12:01 AM
You did very well thumbsup01 :cool:. I once found a nice Merc in some wood chips at a school playground along with a few newer foreign coins . I suspect some kid was using his coin collection as hidden Pirate treasure and didn't find all of them . I also know a guy who found a Real nice Peace silver dollar in some wood chips in a playground ( I'll bet someones Dad was mad ) . >:/

fsa46
08-08-2011, 05:20 AM
It looks like you had a busy day. :clapping: A piece of silver and some interesting finds made for a very productive day. :yes:

z118
08-08-2011, 08:15 AM
Great couple of hunts Z. :clapping:
You've been on quite the run lately. Keep at it.
Hopefully I got your post to where you wanted it. thumbsup01

Yes sir, thank you very much!

aloldstuff
08-08-2011, 08:28 AM
Huge coin count and the clad $'s is mounting. Congrats on the silver.

milco
08-08-2011, 11:09 AM
Great hunts there and congrats on the silver. Tot lots have been real dry for me this year. I think someone has been hitting them but I have not seen anyone else yet. :crazy:

steve in so az
08-08-2011, 02:55 PM
Z - That's a good haul for the 2 days, and lots of silver in different forms. I agree with you - there has to be more silver coins there waiting for you. Persistence will ferret them out. Steve in so az

Mudder
08-08-2011, 07:05 PM
thumbsup01 Just a great hunt, can't say more.

HEAVYMETALNUT
08-08-2011, 07:10 PM
nice hunt.i bet on return trips you'll pull silver.next time ya come back and post you'll be saying i dont know how i missed these :yes:

zrickkid
08-21-2011, 03:12 PM
It adds up. Looks like you had a nice time.
:angelic: