PDA

View Full Version : First deep finds

bob_e99
08-12-2011, 03:54 PM
I know that if I'm ever going to find anything close to what other people on this forum are finding, I need to practice my deep detecting skills. With that in mind and with some advice from Angel from another post, I headed out to a very well hunted site and gave it my best. It started off great with my first target being a 1943 mercury dime that was down at about 10 inches. I lost the signal after I pulled the plug but fortunately because of Angel's information I stuck with it and what a beautiful sight to see silver in deep dark earth. Normally after losing the signal I probably would have just put the plug back and continued on. Unfortunately, the good luck didn't continue but I'm not dissapointed (too much) as I knew the place had been very well hunted and I just wanted to work on my deep detecting skills. Most of the targets were found pretty deep (9 to 12 inches or a bit more) so I was pretty pleased although I need to work on my consistency. There were periods of time when I couldn't tell what was happening with the signal and not sure that I could repeat another deep silver detection. Other than that the only other interesting finds were a couple of beat up wheats.

It isn't much but it's all I got.

z118
08-12-2011, 04:02 PM
Great digs! Those are some crusty wheats; they must have rung up pretty low. That Merc would make my day any day!

bob_e99
08-12-2011, 04:08 PM
Thanks. They rang up so low that I dug them up out of curiousity more than anything else. I have to try and remember some of those tones for future reference.

del
08-12-2011, 04:09 PM
:cheering: :cheering: congrats on the deep merc , Bob . very impressive results :beerbuddy:

bob_e99
08-12-2011, 04:50 PM
Thank you Del.

Also, forgot to mention. Hats off to all of you people who have been doing this for any length of time. I'm finding out that it's hard work especially when it's deep.

The bones are complaining tonight.

JTGOLD
08-12-2011, 05:42 PM
good to hear you are getting thoes deep one,it just takes time to learn what your detector is telling you,nice merc and other finds,, thumbsup01 thumbsup01

MassDirtFisher
08-12-2011, 06:32 PM
Nice Digging!! Sweet looking mercury dime! Congrats on a great hunt!! Happy Hunting!!

silver star
08-12-2011, 06:42 PM
Congrats on the Merc and rest of your finds. WTG!!! Best of luck on your next hunt. HH Mike

angellionel
08-12-2011, 07:22 PM
Very nice looking merc. :clapping: They really are fun to find. :smitten: Congrats on a nice hunt Bob. That site will likely be good to you on future hunts. :happydance01:

coinnut
08-12-2011, 07:47 PM
It isn't much but it's all I got.

On the contrary. You got a lot. You got a silver, some wheats and some valuable lessons on deep coins. It may pay off at a different time and a different place. You are miles above where you were yesterday lol

aloldstuff
08-15-2011, 08:52 AM
Pulling deep silver has got to be a thrill. Angel I'm sure has given you some great advise. I to would have returned the plug after losing the signal. whats the secret:huh:

bob_e99
08-15-2011, 08:58 AM
Pulling deep silver has got to be a thrill. Angel I'm sure has given you some great advise. I to would have returned the plug after losing the signal. whats the secret:huh:

Not so sure it's a secret but look toward the end of this thread:

http://www.americandetectorist.com/forum/index.php?topic=6410.0

For me personally, it just made a big difference in my technique.

Thanks.

RobW
08-15-2011, 09:52 AM
Bob, do you remeber what the fe/co numbers were doing on the deep targets?

Cheap Thrills
08-15-2011, 10:36 AM
Nice going on that sweet Merc and that confidence building hunt . You will do just fine , all you have to do is find a place that has some silver you can put your coil over . :perfect10: thumbsup01

bob_e99
08-15-2011, 11:33 AM
Nice going on that sweet Merc and that confidence building hunt . You will do just fine , all you have to do is find a place that has some silver you can put your coil over . :perfect10: thumbsup01

rofl rofl

That, my good sir, is probably the biggest key. So far, even in old places, I have extracted a ton of clad. I continue to search for that elusive site that may yield even the tiniest amount of silver (preferably old).
:daydream:

Bob, do you remeber what the fe/co numbers were doing on the deep targets?

I'm sorry that I don't have a solid answer for you. The merc gave me 43 or 44 only briefly and I wasn't sure if it was just my imagination. That one, I can honestly say was wishful digging more than being sure there was something there. On the clad dimes, I was going mostly on sound but on the display they mostly showed up as 45. The Fe numbers were pretty much all over the place, many times being at 11 which tended to confuse me since I thought they should be 12. Sometimes if I angle the detector just right, I could get the 12.

Unfortunately, I don't have a good recollection so after hunting for long periods I tend to forget what the good signals sounded like and how they register. Again, my apology for not having better information.
:embarrassed:

Mudder
08-15-2011, 06:55 PM
:groovy: Anytime you can pull silver up from that deep, you have had a good day. Shoot I doubt, my 250 would have even seen it that deep. Great looking Merc, and you did a great job finding it.

bob_e99
08-16-2011, 07:37 AM
:groovy: Anytime you can pull silver up from that deep, you have had a good day. Shoot I doubt, my 250 would have even seen it that deep. Great looking Merc, and you did a great job finding it.

Thank you. The soil had a lot to do with the depth I was getting. It was some of the cleanest soil I've detected. It looked like a good farmer's soil, dark and rich and had minimal garbage in it. A site I did on Sunday morning was quite the opposite and everything I was finding was four inches or lower with maybe two hits being at 5 or 6 at max. (Five quarters, eleven dimes, nineteen pennies and a bus token in 3 hours). It has a lot of garbage in it and I wasn't able to find anything deep even though it was an old park. In any case, I'm learning quite a bit about soil types.