PDA

View Full Version : Very short cellar hole hunt

coinnut
08-12-2011, 08:19 PM
I stopped by a cellar hole on the way home from a hunt Del and I do with the Pequot Indian Museum Archaeologists. It was the first hunt of the season and Del could not make this one due to scheduling. After spending all day in a really quiet area, I got one decent target...well not counting that ox knob >:/ lol

It's a 45ish caliber Musket ball. It is the type of target we were looking for.

[attachimg=1]

So after all that fun lol I just had to hit a site on the way home so I could hear some targets. Not even 5 minutes into a very short hunt, this George II copper came out :shocked04: I was shocked, since it came from an area I hit really well (maybe not so well aye? rofl) 10 feet from the cellar hole and mixed with iron. It was only 5-6 deep and came in kinda choppy, but had a high tone to it. I was expecting a button but got a copper. No complaints lol

[attachimg=2]

[attachimg=3]

[attachimg=4]

del
08-12-2011, 08:49 PM
what site did the copper come from and how did you miss it before :confused: your slacking in your old age lol rofl glad the the memory is still ok . :beerbuddy: so you hunted the fort site ?? hey congrats on the copper and musket ball , George . :clapping: :clapping:

coinnut
08-12-2011, 08:53 PM
what site did the copper come from and how did you miss it before :confused: your slacking in your old age lol rofl glad the the memory is still ok . :beerbuddy: so you hunted the fort site ?? hey congrats on the copper and musket ball , George . :clapping: :clapping:

That is from that silver parasol handle site and it was about 10 feet from the hole :dontknow: How could you have missed it Dan? rofl We hunted the fort site @ 1675 and it turns out to be just a small village site and probably not the military site they thought it was. One musket ball, no pewter buttons, or other military related items. A decent amount of farming junk from the 1800's and up though.

angellionel
08-12-2011, 09:16 PM
Don't you just love those kinds of surprises. :smitten: Nice old copper. :yes: Someone should have taken a photo as you dug it up to capture your look of surprise. lol

HEAVYMETALNUT
08-12-2011, 09:28 PM
i get one up on the count and ya have to shadow me? :behave: :huh:
very nice G! great short hunt ya damn hippie :groovy:

Epi-hunter
08-12-2011, 09:32 PM
Congrats on the musket ball and copper George. I think it's awesome that you and Dan detect for the Pequot Indian Museum Archaeologists. Great finds... I am still hoping to be able to detect a cellar hole one day :cheesysmile: thumbsup01 :happydance01:

tanacat
08-12-2011, 09:45 PM
:clapping: yay on the copper! Yes, very cool you & Dan are still digging with the archaelogists thumbsup01

Btw, I'm curious about your TOTAL count of coppers :thinkingabout: We could do a little contest how many coppers has coinnut gathered over his... 30? yrs of hunting lol Like how many jellybeans in the jellybean jar. I think it'd be pretty fun. Get to work counting them! My guess is 247...

jkress
08-12-2011, 09:46 PM
Wow... five minutes in and SCORE!! Funny how that works sometimes.
That is a nice early coin George. Something like that has to be absolutely
thrilling to find. :smitten: Great job.

Cheap Thrills
08-13-2011, 11:19 AM
Nice copper :clapping: thumbsup01 around the places I hunt a wheat is considered a copper . >:{

MassDirtFisher
08-13-2011, 12:23 PM
Nice looking copper you got there!! Congrats!! One less for you to find in the future. Happy Hunting!!

aloldstuff
08-15-2011, 11:50 AM
Nice copper there George. So ya missed it the 1st time there but recovered it on a later visit. I like those types of finds or surprises. Congrats and by the way are ya retired or something:huh:thinkingabout:

coinnut
08-15-2011, 09:35 PM
Congrats and by the way are ya retired or something:huh:thinkingabout:

rofl I wish. But I have the ability to shift my work load sometimes. Retirement is at least 14 years away :rolleyes: I wish it was now, cause I would be out hunting everyday lol

Killer Tn
08-17-2011, 07:07 AM
Nice finds

Ill Digger
08-17-2011, 08:57 AM
Nice copper :clapping: thumbsup01 around the places I hunt a wheat is considered a copper . >:{
<} Yeah me too!! lol

Nice find on the musket ball George :cool:
The King George II is a awesome find!
Is there a readable date on that one or not?
I can't even imagine finding something that old! :envious:
Great finds!
Congrats :grin:

coinnut
08-17-2011, 09:45 PM
The King George II is a awesome find!
Is there a readable date on that one or not?

It not completely readable but probably in the 1730-40 range.

Ill Digger
08-18-2011, 10:27 PM
It not completely readable but probably in the 1730-40 range.
:drool: :drool: :drool:
Oh yeah! 1730-40's :yes: Now we're talkin' heart attack time's! They'd be :stretcher: from that hole if I found a coin that old! lol
It blows a wheatie outta the water I know that much! rofl
Congrats again :grin: