PDA

View Full Version : Another wood chips find

Cheap Thrills
08-13-2011, 01:53 AM
I did another one of my dirt /wood chips combo hunts .The best find of the chips was a silver ring . It's stamped 925 and something else that I can't make out .The dirt gave up two wheats a 34' and a 45' and the majority of the $1.44 clad that was gathered . This time I hunted for 3hrs. The ring was in the swings area . The weather was pleasant . I had a few lookie-loos and a big German Shepperd who seemed to think my coil was a Frisbee on a stick luckily he came to a sudden stop just before reaching it and left as his owner was calling him . :groovy:

z118
08-13-2011, 04:08 AM
Nice ring & wheats. I've dug a few silver name rings like that but that one is pretty distinct. Unless MEM stands for something I'm too tired to realize? One way or another, congrats!

JTGOLD
08-13-2011, 07:18 AM
nice bunch of coins and nice ring find,wtg.

MassDirtFisher
08-13-2011, 12:19 PM
Nice looking ring!! Congrats on the wheats and silver!! Happy Hunting!!

bob_e99
08-13-2011, 01:34 PM
Nice finds and the ring is very interesting. A google search for MEM brings up some interesting results. Are you hunting in Missouri? (Missouri Employers Mutual was one of the results)

I may have to change my mind about finding jewelry. lol

Cheap Thrills
08-13-2011, 01:49 PM
Nice finds and the ring is very interesting. A google search for MEM brings up some interesting results. Are you hunting in Missouri? (Missouri Employers Mutual was one of the results)

I may have to change my mind about finding jewelry. lol

Thanks , the ring was found in the city of San Bruno , California . I'm thinking it's someone's initials . I may be going back to that spot today and will keep the ring in my pocket in case someone should ask me if I found it .Maybe I'll bring my older camera too In case they do .
Hmmmm..... I might get lucky and get a silver dig picture ( not very likely though).

steve in so az
08-13-2011, 04:46 PM
I agree, someone's initials. Good luck now, Steve in so az

pipster
08-13-2011, 06:42 PM
nice silver for the pile the other marking in the ring is mex for mexico find alot of them around here stamped that way

Ill Digger
08-13-2011, 07:27 PM
Oh yeah!! <:
Wheats and silver!! Sweet!
I dig the ring! It looks like an older style :dontknow: Cool!
Congrats ! :grin:
I'd defiantly check that spot out a little more! :yes:
Good luck!

coinnut
08-13-2011, 08:52 PM
Nice to score silver on a hunt. It should be mandatory that tot lots give up at least one gold or silver item every time it's hunted lol That would be :daydream: Nice silver / wheat combo thumbsup01

angellionel
08-13-2011, 10:13 PM
It's good to still see those silver rings pop out of the ground. :clapping: That is a very nice one. :yes:

Cheap Thrills
08-13-2011, 11:29 PM
Oh yeah!! <:
Wheats and silver!! Sweet!
I dig the ring! It looks like an older style :dontknow: Cool!
Congrats ! :grin:
I'd defiantly check that spot out a little more! :yes:
Good luck!

I went back there today for about 2 1/2 hrs. and found a 52D Wheat , a memorial penny and 12 good sounding pieces of junk .Then after dinner I got out to another spot and found $1.23 in clad , pulltabs and flattened coke bottle tops. No silver or gold of any kind .

nice silver for the pile the other marking in the ring is mex for mexico find alot of them around here stamped that way

Thanks for the info pipster and welcome to the forum . thumbsup01 thumbsup01

Thanks to all who looked and posted . :beerbuddy: :groovy:

PL8MAN
08-14-2011, 06:34 PM
Sweet silver :callme:

aloldstuff
08-15-2011, 08:36 AM
Nice silver and wheats. Doesn't everybody carry a spare coil just for the friendly dogs?

Mudder
08-15-2011, 07:30 PM
Very, Very good. I like hunting the chips also, but all I ever come up with is clad. Congrats on a great find.

Cheap Thrills
08-15-2011, 11:18 PM
Nice silver and wheats. Doesn't everybody carry a spare coil just for the friendly dogs?

lol

Very, Very good. I like hunting the chips also, but all I ever come up with is clad. Congrats on a great find.

Keep hitting them , use the least discrimination you can (or even all metal) and make your sweeps overlap and dig everything. I like to use 6 or 7 coils as the smaller stuff hits with more clarity than on the larger coils plus with the smaller coils you can get closer to metal bars and whatever . If you get to a wood chips playground and the swings are not being used hit those first as people will all of a sudden show up out of nowhere and you might not get a chance to hunt them in the time you have alloted .The swings areas have produced far more rings for me than any other parts of the playground .

Some guys bring a larger coil to do fast sweeps on the open areas and a small coil for getting close to the metal bars ( it will save you much time if the coils are each mounted on their own lower pole) . I would suggest a pinpointer also as sometimes it is hard to spot stuff in those woodchips . Another thing if you are working under and around bars and you are wearing a baseball cap don't get up too fast and remember where you are , a mistake I've made on a couple of occasions 8/ :blackeye: :groovy:

silver star
08-16-2011, 10:38 AM
Very nice silver ring :happydance01: congrats on your finds. HH Mike

russellt
08-16-2011, 05:56 PM
thats a well rounded hunt .. congrats