PDA

View Full Version : Colonial hunt with Del and charlives

coinnut
08-13-2011, 08:40 PM
Dan had arranged a hunt with charlives in his neck of the woods. So we were off around 4:30 this morning and hunting as soon as we could all meet up. Dan located one huge colonial monster hole lol It was nice looking and had lots of area to hunt. Unfortunately, like most holes, it was pounded. But this one was triple pounded. lol I was pretty confident I could get some targets from the lip and surrounding area, but after about 45 minutes, I was wondering who killed this hole? lol They did a super job vacuuming up all the non ferrous targets (except a couple :drool:) I ended up with only 1 small button and some clad and some odds and ends until I decided to use the inline probe as my main coil. rofl Heat and lack of water make you do strange things :shocked01: So after using that 1 coil for about 15 minutes, I hit a target and it read 07-46. Nice and smooth and that can only mean one thing COPPER :girlcry: So I scream copper and then go back and get another hit an inch away that reads 07-46 :girlcry: :girlcry: :girlcry: SECOND COPPER rofl I'll let you see what they are instead of spilling the beans here, but I will say, they cleaned up read nice. It was a great day and a pleasure hunting with one of our members. Drew was put through the hiking ringer and he survived with flying colors :clapping: Nice meeting and hunting with you thumbsup01

Here's the junk
[attachimg=1]

The small amount of better targets

[attachimg=2]

dirty coppers (obv and rev)
[attachimg=3]
[attachimg=4]

Final cleaning and conditioning

[attachimg=5]
[attachimg=6]

[attachimg=7]
[attachimg=8]

R.I.Terry
08-13-2011, 08:57 PM
wow nice coins, there in awsome shape.

del
08-13-2011, 09:07 PM
:shocked04:stretcher: :shocked04: :drool: :smitten: those babies are in great shape George :beerbuddy: your Nova is a (crosby5-E variety) between 65 to 124 known coins in existance and worth some money in that shape :cheering: :cheering: well done on the cleaning buddy , but i bet you didn't have to do too much huh?? monster congrats buddy .

Drew was a real champion today with the hiking and the stingey cellar today , it was great to finally meet you Drew and we'll have to do it again :yes: :grin: seriously real soon :grin: because you left your shovel in my jeep . lol ;)

heres a couple of pictures of the monster cellar with the G-man for size comparison , its not an optical illusion the foundation is big and ... well Coinnut is a little small lol rofl :teasing: but he finnish real big today |:confused:) |:confused:)

MassDirtFisher
08-13-2011, 09:08 PM
CHA CHING!!!!! Nice coppers!!! Sweet job on the cleanup! They sure are pretty!! Happy Hunting!!

coinnut
08-13-2011, 09:12 PM
wow nice coins, there in awsome shape.

CHA CHING!!!!! Nice coppers!!! Sweet job on the cleanup! They sure are pretty!! Happy Hunting!!

Thanks guys. :happydance01: I was very happy I didn't screw up the cleaning lol

well done on the cleaning buddy , but i bet you didn't have to do too much huh??

Actually I was sweating bullets. The Nova did not clean up well at all, and it didn't look like that until the final cleaning :shocked01: :shocked01: I had to coax it a little with a brass brush :embarrassed: lol

OxShoeDrew
08-13-2011, 09:24 PM
lol. I forgot about the Blackberry! That was one sweet find......how'd that ring up...long distance? :-) ...the coins cleaned up nicely too. Sounds like they could really have some value.
Ill go back to finish up those pens and maybe take a look from the north entrance. Maybe ill find some beer to go along with my tap. :grin:
I had a great time you and Del. I hope we can do it again real soon. Drew

coinnut
08-13-2011, 09:32 PM
lol. I forgot about the Blackberry! That was one sweet find......how'd that ring up...long distance? :-) ...the coins cleaned up nicely too. Sounds like they could really have some value.
Ill go back to finish up those pens and maybe take a look from the north entrance. Maybe ill find some beer to go along with my tap. :grin:
I had a great time you and Del. I hope we can do it again real soon. Drew

Yeah, That Blackberry hit that mud and it was a gonner lol Somebody was not happy after losing that. >:/ That pen area is still worth your time. At least you know the coins come out decent shape if found on a slope. But I believe you will need a shovel to dig? :dontknow: I think Dan is selling one that he just found lol

angellionel
08-13-2011, 09:32 PM
Wow George! :shocked04: Those are beautiful coppers! :drool: The Nova is a superb find! :happydance01: :smitten: You had me laughing with the visual of you on your knees detecting with the 1 probe. rofl But it paid off big time! :happydance01: A huge congrats!! :peace:

Glad to hear you guys got together with another member too. :yes:

coinnut
08-13-2011, 09:35 PM
You had me laughing with the visual of you on your knees detecting with the 1 probe. rofl But it paid off big time! :happydance01: A huge congrats!! :peace:

Yeah, it's not pretty looking lol I have to rig up a cain and attach the probe to it :thinkingabout: That is my fourth copper with that probe rofl Who would have guessed it would be used that way and work :dontknow:

HEAVYMETALNUT
08-14-2011, 12:09 AM
damn dude! those are beauties! i gotta get me a nova soon! that 1828 is just as nice as the 1827 i dug with you and smiley if not better.wish they all looked like that huh? nice tactics at getting those.i can see the whole lip being excavated now on solo hunts!

Cheap Thrills
08-14-2011, 12:13 AM
Awesome stuff George !!! :perfect10: thumbsup01 thumbsup01 |:confused:)

CTDirtFisher
08-14-2011, 05:38 AM
George that is a sweet Nova !!! Congratulations :perfect10: <: :happydance01: :peace:

Epi-hunter
08-14-2011, 05:45 AM
George, those coppers are incredible!! They cleaned up beautifully!!! Congratulations! :perfect10: :perfect10:

OxShoeDrew
08-14-2011, 06:22 AM
My SHOVEL:huh:!!! NOOOOOOO I paid $6 for that at Price Chopper!!! lol

fsa46
08-14-2011, 09:43 AM
For a beat-up cellar hole you guys did a fine job. :clapping: The large coppers look super, love the Nova. :perfect10:

&quot:grin:aVacMan ( Angel) couldn't have been the person that hunted that site because there wouldn't be ANYTHING left to find. lol lol

tanacat
08-14-2011, 12:23 PM
:clapping: :cheering: :clapping: :cheering: :clapping: :cheering:

Way to go on those beauties!!!

Thanks for all the great pics- I love seeing the cellar holes and landscape when you go out. Next best thing to being there with you guys :)

sniffy
08-14-2011, 03:19 PM
:drool: that Nova is making me :twirlingeyes: One of the higher coins on my wishlist.

jkress
08-14-2011, 10:59 PM
:shocked04: :shocked04: :shocked04:
Some pretty amazing coinage here George. :smitten: The LC alone is in great shape and pretty amazing.
Then you go ahead and add an incredible Nova. <: ... both found with your probe. Just amazing... amazing.
Very, very happy for you friend. :yes:

RobW
08-15-2011, 10:10 AM
:shocked04: :drool: :shocked04:...that NOVA is amazing...what condition! You've become a 1 ace lol...definatly thinking outside the box...then again, I don't think you've ever been in it rofl

aloldstuff
08-15-2011, 11:47 AM
Great hunting techniques, using the 1' probe. Superb looking coppers. Someday we have to hunt together (Rob Tim and I).

milco
09-11-2011, 09:22 PM
Wow, amazing finds, big congrats!

hockeyguy
09-17-2011, 07:07 PM
Nice stuff George....u guys are killing the foundations still.....congratulations! :callme:

wild willy
09-18-2011, 05:00 AM
wow! id be happy with a old chevy nova. :grin: but that one is a stellar find bud. congrats. willy

Sal66
09-20-2011, 06:12 AM
Hey coinnut, long time no see. LOL I am amazed at those coins. The detail is absolutely beautiful. I've always dreamed of getting a Nova. Dan must have showed you his magic cleaning technique or they just were dropped not much later than they were made. What was the soil conditions? Dark and soft soil or clay-like? Well, anyway they are really nice. I'll have to hook up with you and Del some weekend. Safer on Sundays since hunting season is close by. Thanks for the viewing. Much enjoyed.

Civil War Nut
09-23-2011, 01:43 AM
Dan had arranged a hunt with charlives in his neck of the woods. So we were off around 4:30 this morning and hunting as soon as we could all meet up. Dan located one huge colonial monster hole lol It was nice looking and had lots of area to hunt. Unfortunately, like most holes, it was pounded. But this one was triple pounded. lol I was pretty confident I could get some targets from the lip and surrounding area, but after about 45 minutes, I was wondering who killed this hole? lol They did a super job vacuuming up all the non ferrous targets (except a couple :drool:) I ended up with only 1 small button and some clad and some odds and ends until I decided to use the inline probe as my main coil. rofl Heat and lack of water make you do strange things :shocked01: So after using that 1 coil for about 15 minutes, I hit a target and it read 07-46. Nice and smooth and that can only mean one thing COPPER :girlcry: So I scream copper and then go back and get another hit an inch away that reads 07-46 :girlcry: :girlcry: :girlcry: SECOND COPPER rofl I'll let you see what they are instead of spilling the beans here, but I will say, they cleaned up read nice. It was a great day and a pleasure hunting with one of our members. Drew was put through the hiking ringer and he survived with flying colors :clapping: Nice meeting and hunting with you thumbsup01

Here's the junk
[attachimg=1]

The small amount of better targets

[attachimg=2]

dirty coppers (obv and rev)
[attachimg=3]
[attachimg=4]

Final cleaning and conditioning

[attachimg=5]
[attachimg=6]

[attachimg=7]
[attachimg=8]
Hidy Cnut . Nice finds ya got there . That 28 sure did clean up good . May good luck stay with yall .