PDA

View Full Version : Great Saturday Makes Up For Dud Sunday

z118
08-14-2011, 11:45 AM
I got in some good detecting this weekend. On Saturday morning I was up early and in the tot lots, where I was rewarded with some nice clad and a small 10k gold pendant. Gold always makes my day, even when it's tiny, and it's been a while since I found any so I was feeling pretty pleased. After the tot lots, I made my way to a new spot - an open lot in the city. I was not sure what to expect but I was hoping for some old coins. The second coin I pulled was a '43 quarter, and a short while after that a nice Merc! I was thinking I had found the greatest spot in the world but I hunted for a few more hours without making any other good finds other than two wheat pennies. Usually I dig a slew of wheats and don't find silver, so this was a nice switch. I'll certainly hit this spot again.

In the afternoon I got in a quick hunt at this year's sweet spot, hoping for more silver coins. I got another wheat penny and a 1940 nickel, but no silver coins. However, I did find a very nice silver ring with a large blue stone (or CZ). Between the gold, silver coins, and ring this was one of my better days. Nothing amazing of course but a nice collection of keepers.

Sunday I was too tired to get up early again, and it rained all night so I was not too excited to get all muddy in the dirt. I hit a few more tot lots but they were not productive. On a whim I hunted a small grassy area next to an old, little church. The church is empty now, and my wife tells me there was a store in it years ago. I would guess it was built in the 1800's. I found a few clad coins, an old padlock, a square nail, and a 1923 wheat. Not the best day but Saturday more than makes up for it.

Weekend total was 137 coins worth $9.84. I might try to sneak out again this afternoon if I can.

Happy Hunting!

angellionel
08-14-2011, 12:22 PM
Beautiful ring. :smitten: The gold and silver coins made for some sweet finds too. :clapping: Not a bad weekend at all! The site that yielded those two silver coins should be on your radar for another future hunt. :yes:

del
08-14-2011, 01:29 PM
Z congrats on some fine silver coins and the gold :smitten: of course .

bob_e99
08-14-2011, 03:15 PM
Your hunts always fascinate me with the variety of stuff you dig up. Those finds would definitely have made my week.

Congrats on another good weekend.

:clapping:

Epi-hunter
08-14-2011, 03:51 PM
Very nice silver and gold!!! :perfect10:

Cheap Thrills
08-14-2011, 04:07 PM
Looks good to me . thumbsup01 thumbsup01 :cool:

PL8MAN
08-14-2011, 05:16 PM
Sweet finds thumbsup01

coinnut
08-14-2011, 05:36 PM
Nice hunts Z :clapping: That charm is real nice. I bet she isn't daddy's little girl after losing it though lol That stone could be a CZ but also looks like a Blue Topaz. I'd say you had a pretty good weekend :perfect10:

milco
08-14-2011, 05:45 PM
What haul there Z, great weekend!

Ill Digger
08-14-2011, 10:51 PM
:shocked04: Thats one heck of a hunt Z!
I really like the ring!! The stone looks so nice I gotta think it's real! I like it! :yes: thumbsup01
Of course gold is always great!! Do you remember the type of reading it gave ?
I've been digging alot of low/ foil, can slaw numbers lately in hopes of nabbing me some gold. But it hasn't been paying off :hairpulling: :crying02: lol
Love the silver too :smitten:
Congrats :grin:

JTGOLD
08-14-2011, 10:59 PM
good clad count with a topping of silver and gold = a great hunt.

aloldstuff
08-15-2011, 08:29 AM
Huge clad with gold and silver. Would make my day. Congrats