PDA

View Full Version : GOLD

hockeyguy
08-14-2011, 07:32 PM
Well, this prolly should be in the beach section, but as I have found very little lately, I will post it here. I've been vacationing with the family in NC for the past 2 weeks and spent 8 or 9 hours detecting this stretch of beach in front of the rental we were in. So few people also meant very few targets.

Even hitting a signal was exciting. I dug pull tabs, crown caps, hooks, weights and aluminum bits for all that time. My land machine was difficult to adjust to the wet sand and I spent very little time in the dry sand. Changing settings like crazy, I moved my sens constantly depending on the water. Finally, I got kinda used to it. If I so much as touched the ground, I had a noise that had to be rescanned, 'cause i know I am listening for that faint, broken gold tone. This drove me mad!. If water rushed under the coil, everything had to stop 'cause of the salt. It was also tough 'cause i had a 10x12 coil. Eventully, I would just move the sens up and down accordinly.

I also found a new pair of scissors and this smith and wesson pocket knife. It was just below the surface, wide open and must have been a recent drop. It wa a null as I had just a bit of disc. on. I told my son (the official digger) to be careful asit was prolly some rusty old iron piece that could be sharp. Glad I found it b4 someone stepped on it! (I was usually out at low tide when i could get to where I felt waist deep water was at high tide.)

The last nigth prior to departure, I went to a more populated area where there are volleyball courts and such. I worked the dry sand because it was night time. In 1 hour I found these items along with ~ 15 other junk digs. The ring was 7 deep in the dry sand and when my kid sifted the digger and said it was a ring, I knew it was gold by the readings it gave off. Clearly it wouldn't be silver with such low numbers.

10k ladies band with initials. I have checked out craigslist lost and found and there were no posts abaout this ring. I will keep checking as the 3 initals are unique. But if no one shows up, it will be sold at 1800/ounce current pricing. Maybe it's worth $60?

Anyway, the conjoined hearts are silver and the earring salys silver but rang up gold. Looks like there are a few small stones in it too. this looks to be antique but IDK much about them.

Anyway, I took some advice from this board ((clean my coil cover (something I need to do more often))and another board and it paid off. Hope to get back to the parks with Catskill Comics this week!.

BTW, Angel must have a great camera with the hand shots he takes daily, I had to take a pic but usually scan.

HH

Aaron

Cheap Thrills
08-14-2011, 08:06 PM
Nice going on your finds . It's always nice to hunt new spots especially where people vacation , it makes for better possibilities . :cool: thumbsup01 thumbsup01

JTGOLD
08-14-2011, 10:54 PM
nice ring,neat knife too,wtg.

aloldstuff
08-15-2011, 08:32 AM
Good thing you got that kniffe before someone got cut. Nice gold ring now go get the cash. Congrats

Mudder
08-15-2011, 07:39 PM
Great job on finding the ring, and saving someones foot |:confused:)

PL8MAN
08-15-2011, 08:28 PM
Sweet find thumbsup01