PDA

View Full Version : Detecting Kits

bob_e99
08-15-2011, 06:12 AM
I noticed that the more I'm detecting, the more stuff that I'm starting to carry around or store in the trunk of my car. I was wondering what people carry with them on hunts recognizing of course that it varies on location.
:thinkingabout:

I don't normally carry a backpack if I can see my car from my hunting location as I just leave everything in the trunk.

Trunk: Extra headphones, extra gloves, a wide garden spade (although I'm getting better with the digging tool), orange :usaflag:s (thanks tanacat), my beach digger, small tool kit

Backpack: Water, spare battery pack, cell phone, small camera, munchies, GPS, swiss army knife, bandanas

If this has already been discussed in another thread, please let me know.

Thanks

coinnut
08-15-2011, 09:46 PM
I carry just about everything just ask del lol I lose just about everything too, but I usually find it within a year or two :shocked01: Bug spray, GPS, folding saw, extra batteries form my machine and Del's too, water magnifier, compartments for special finds, compass, even the bolt and nut for the coils for both our machines 8/ etc... I have it all. rofl It does way a ton after a while though :-\

bob_e99
08-16-2011, 07:55 AM
Thank you for the reply which was very helpful. Preferring wood hunting, the folding saw is a good idea. I also bought small clippers for heavy rooted areas which I found difficult to cut with the digger. I had to give up on one target because I couldn't get through the roots. Your post also reminded me that while I was bringing extra battery packs for the E-trac, I was forgetting about the pinpointer. Also, extra nuts and bolts for the detector is a good idea. As for the magnifier, I've been saving the inspection for when I get home where I can sit with a cold one and peruse them casually.

Thanks again.
:clapping: :clapping:

OxShoeDrew
08-16-2011, 02:11 PM
I travel relatively lightly. I'm still working out the organization of the tools. I can't believe the dirt in my car from my gear.

bob_e99
08-16-2011, 03:23 PM
I travel relatively lightly. I'm still working out the organization of the tools. I can't believe the dirt in my car from my gear.

I've only been detecting for a short time and started out the same way but quickly began to realize that you don't want to drive too far to a hunt only to have it cut short by something that can easily be corrected. I figured it was easier to ask others who have the experience than add things to my list one at a time. :yes:
It's surprising how quickly all the little things add up.

Good hunting!

del
08-16-2011, 03:44 PM
like Coinnut , i have a heavy durable belt that carries 3 pouches , 1 on the front for finds and trash , 1 on the back side for a large bottle of water (atleast a litre and a half) and a snack , 1 for some bugspray , battery . the belt also holds a pinpointer holster for my 580 probe and a large hunting type knife and a metal ring holder ( the type used for hanging a hammer on a tool belt) for my relic shovel to hang from when i get tired of holding it. i'll also carry a camera with case too and yes after about 8 hours of detecting it gets heavy >:# lol lol

coinnut
08-16-2011, 07:15 PM
Forgot to mention, one of the best things to bring along is electrical tape. It sticks well and can fix just about anything until you get home. It fixed my headphones last hunt, and I keep it just in case I need it. It can also be used as first aid tape if needed.

RobW
08-17-2011, 08:07 AM
. I can't believe the dirt in my car from my gear.

rofl..glad it's not just me..I was starting to think I was looking like Pigpin from the Peanuts...my wife and daughter hate getting into my car. I recently washed my floor mats at the car wash....black was coming from them.

In the car: spare batteries for the detector, and pinpointer, bug spray, a bag to dump the goodies in...(actually its because I'm so bad at emptying my clad and stuff out of my apron, that I dump it before a new hunt into the bag) Big shovel

In apron: small shovel, clippers for small roots, pinpointer

JTGOLD
08-17-2011, 07:16 PM
my headphones and diggin tool ,detector with DX-1 on it and myself,thats it.

bob_e99
08-21-2011, 11:17 AM
Thanks again everyone for the input. I got some good information from the responses and I think I'm ready for any kind of hunt now.

my headphones and diggin tool ,detector with DX-1 on it and myself,thats it.

That is the best way and what I like to do whenever possible.

Mudder
08-21-2011, 09:42 PM
Oh, JT is just old like me and doesn't want to carry a whole lot. Besides he lives in Illinois and the fire ants have not made it there yet. I have to carry something to fight them with or they would eat me alive. My wife 8/ has also made serious remarks about the condition, and amount of stuff that I keep in the car.