PDA

View Full Version : percentage

BOWSER
08-17-2011, 10:32 AM
does anyone know what percentage a jewler would give on an ounce of gold.

Dimeman
08-17-2011, 10:50 AM
In my experiance, since jewelers are in business to MAKE money there will be different rates for the different locations.

Some will pay 70% of spot price some less, some more.

A place that only deals in metals for melt value, would pay more for it.

Relic Whisperer
08-17-2011, 01:01 PM
In my area it varies from 80% to 90% I usually get around 85% and certainly nothing less than 80%.

BOWSER
08-17-2011, 03:19 PM
I have an ounce or a little over,I hope to find an honest dealer. thanks for the replies.

wingmaster
08-18-2011, 07:28 PM
The price is set for pure gold, so if yours is 10k to 14k its going to take more than an ounce to make a pure ounce.

MartinL
08-18-2011, 07:53 PM
How in God's Sake could anyone ever count on the assay from the buyer, be it a jeweler or whomever, to be accurate? If I was in the gold reclamation business myself today, the temptation to under measure the general public's wares would have to be there since this stuff is nearing 2K an ounce. IMO, I don't believe anyone really knows what they are getting, unless they sample the buying market for several various assays to compare, and that is a hassle...buyers know that! Even then, they ALL could be hosing you since this is pretty big money these days. It is kinda like illicit drugs and their weights during sale and purchace. You'll have to use your imagination and TV education on that reference, cuz I ain't elaborating on this point. Such a small downward tweak on size and/or purity, would make many $$$, even on small deals. martin

fsa46
08-19-2011, 04:55 AM
Don't be afraid to shop around. ;) My Sister recently sold some gold, ( don't recall how much but it wasn't a lot, maybe around a 1/2 ounce ) but the difference in price between the two different dealers was unbeliveable. 8/

Once you find a reputable dealer you won't have to shop around. :cheering:

Relic Whisperer
08-19-2011, 08:19 AM
You must shop around and for $10 you can get a pretty decent digital scale that tells you going in what you have in weight. I then use one of the web based calculators to know exactly what my particular carat is worth before I even leave my home. Recently I have a gold bracelet that started at one offer of $265 and after 4 places I ended up at $340 which was 85% of my calculated number.

BOWSER
08-19-2011, 05:37 PM
decided to tun my gold in ,found a recommended jewler,990.00 dollars.I think i did ok. :dontknow:

Jeff (or)
08-19-2011, 09:50 PM
COOL! :beerbuddy: