PDA

View Full Version : Last few hunts: Cellar holes

mike l
08-17-2011, 11:29 PM
Found a cluster of cellar holes, I counted at least 4, a rare treat here on Long Island. Steve and I hit it over the weekend and it gave up the shoe buckle. Took a walk down a long path and came upon a pond that gave up the sterling silver birth record bell. Glad we got to hunt the cellar holes before the bulldozer lays waste to them :crazy:, won't be long, so sad. Hit a old home site Wednesday that I've hunted many times before. When I arrived today, a tree had fallen in the spot I usually park. That spot gave up the 1932 Washington lol. Happy hunting all! :beerbuddy:

Old home site silver (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GNlIWV2S5kA#)

aloldstuff
08-18-2011, 07:07 AM
What a cool bell, great find. Congrats on the buckle and washington

JTGOLD
08-18-2011, 07:30 AM
nice silver bell and quarter + buckel too good hunt.

Cheap Thrills
08-18-2011, 10:11 AM
Nice hunt , some great finds . thumbsup01 thumbsup01

del
08-18-2011, 05:19 PM
hey Mike , that area looks very promising . keep detecting it fo as long as you can , you'll be surprised at how much it opens up once the leaves fall and how much else you can see . that silver birth bell is an incredible item especially in such nice shape (you got lucky) and the first i've seen like it (what does it fully say ??) . the shoe buckle frame is a nice one :smitten: , huge congrats :clapping: :clapping:.

Dan

bob_e99
08-18-2011, 05:33 PM
That bell is a really great find. If that's 1947 then it's just a few months older than me crying01

Or is it 1847?

It's a shame to see all these old cellar holes dissappearing. I hope that you get a chance to hit them again.

Good hunting!

milco
08-18-2011, 05:33 PM
That bell is a very cool item!

HEAVYMETALNUT
08-18-2011, 05:34 PM
yeah i'd pound the crap outta them before it's too late! beautiful bell and never seen a shoe buckle design like that.get back there man! fast!

coinnut
08-18-2011, 07:06 PM
Great find Mike :peace: Congrats on the fallen tree quarter and of course the silver bell. :shocked04: Nice looking cellar holes. The kind Del, Dave and I hit around here. Like they all said. Get back there and have at it lol

Ill Digger
08-18-2011, 07:44 PM
yeah i'd pound the crap outta them before it's too late! beautiful bell and never seen a shoe buckle design like that.get back there man! fast!
I couldn't have said it any better! :dontknow:

That bell is a super cool find! Really a one of a kind find! (Hey the rymes! lol)
If and when I ever get a chance to make it out east , I hope there's a couple of cellar holes left . :drool:
Pound that place to death, before it's not there any more :yes: thumbsup01
Nice finds!
Congrats :grin:

jkress
08-18-2011, 09:47 PM
Awesome finds mike!! :clapping:
It's a tough call... but my favorite is the silver birth record bell. A very neat piece. :drool: I've never seen one
before. You got plenty of rescuing to do before the dozers hit it.
Best of luck on your next hunt.

silver star
08-18-2011, 10:29 PM
That bell is great find :clapping: Congrats on silver and rest of your finds. WTG!!! HH Mike

mike l
08-18-2011, 10:48 PM
hey Mike , that area looks very promising . keep detecting it fo as long as you can , you'll be surprised at how much it opens up once the leaves fall and how much else you can see . that silver birth bell is an incredible item especially in such nice shape (you got lucky) and the first i've seen like it (what does it fully say ??) . the shoe buckle frame is a nice one :smitten: , huge congrats :clapping: :clapping:.

Dan

Dan, The birth bell has a birth date of 1-13 '49 and the back has a name Bonnie Lee 6 lbs 10 oz. I did some research to see if could be 1849, but it looks like it's 1949. I showed it to my mother in law and she said my wife had one when she was a baby and she was born in 1967. Steve and have plans on hitting this spot again in the fall/winter.

mike l
08-18-2011, 10:52 PM
I couldn't have said it any better! :dontknow:

That bell is a super cool find! Really a one of a kind find! (Hey the rymes! lol)
If and when I ever get a chance to make it out east , I hope there's a couple of cellar holes left . :drool:
Pound that place to death, before it's not there any more :yes: thumbsup01
Nice finds!
Congrats :grin:

If you ever get out to Long Island, send me a PM and we'll get out for a hunt :peace:

Ill Digger
08-19-2011, 08:19 AM
If you ever get out to Long Island, send me a PM and we'll get out for a hunt :peace:
thumbsup01 Deal!! :yes:
Thanks!! :beerbuddy:

pulltabsteve
08-19-2011, 02:21 PM
Still love that bell!!! :perfect10: We should have taken a picture of the nice pea green pond water :grin: Next time out. Congrats on the 25 cent piece thumbsup01

sandals
09-04-2011, 04:07 PM
awesome Mike....if ya need extra people to help ya before they doze it, I'm free :cheesysmile:

Mudder
09-04-2011, 08:56 PM
Looks like a wonderful site and it is a shame that it will be dozed soon. :crying02: You will need to do some serious pounding there before its gone forever. The finds are outstanding, and the buckle looks to be in exceptionally good shape. The bell goes without comment, it is really a beautiful piece. :groovy: