PDA

View Full Version : Minelab E-Trac or Whites V3

miller6670
01-20-2010, 02:21 PM
I would like to get some opinions on these two detectors. If you were going to buy a new high end detector, which would it be. I have been detecting since I was 13 and I am now 40 so I have some experience. I started out way back when with the Whites 4000 then the XLT, then the DFX, then the Minelab Explorer II....LOL and I now use the Minelab Sovereign GT which may not have the bells and whistles of the higher end model, but has done a very good job for me. I will say that I miss the target ID screen and the other advantages of the high end detectors. Out of all the ones that I have used I must say the Explorer II beat them all in depth. It's just a lot of money to spend and I am scared that the V3 is all smoke and mirrors. Ok, I'll stop rambling now...lol. Thanks in advance for the opinions!

del
01-20-2010, 02:49 PM
hello and welcome to American Detectorist Miller6670 , my opinion wouldn't matter much because i don't use either machine ( i use a dfx) lol lol there are quite a few here that use either one or both so you'll get your fill on replies , i'm sure . good luck on your future purchase .

Dan

coinnut
01-20-2010, 03:06 PM
Hello and as Dan said, welcome to our family lol I have the E trac and some of the other members have the V3 here. First off, I'd like to say that either machine is a fine choice. I wouldn't say either of them would give any smoke and mirror tricks lol They are top of the line for a reason, they perform. But with that said, it is up to the user to get the most out of his or her choice. That is why it should be your choice based on style of hunting and patience :yes: with a new machine. I love the E Trac. But I also have a DFX which I love. Two different machines and two different styles of hunting. I can't stress enough that you need to gather information (like these replies) and then either visit a dealer which has both machines or try one out from a fellow treasure hunter in your area. Don't just buy blindly because of what anyone says. I have been using White's since the Coinmaster V Supreme days, so I understand White's style. The Minelab is completely different from a Whites, but not hard to learn. But the jist of this is, you should be comfortable using whichever machine you buy. Only then will you get the most out of it. Good luck and take your time choosing.

randy
01-20-2010, 03:14 PM
I'm finding silver @ 8-9 inches with the V3. Obviously don't know if there is any deeper that I'm missing. No doubt the Minelab would find it as well. I don't really use the analyze screen much, but I find the on-the-fly depth and dominant-frequency pinpointing on the V3 very useful. Sometimes TID on the deep targets isn't great, but the dominant-frequency feature has been really good about telling me to dig or not.

I faced the same dilemma, and came to the conclusion that the Minelab may have an advantage on the deep silver, and that the V3 may be more versatile. For me, tho, it simply came down to the fact that I got a V3 $400 cheaper than I could get the Minelab.

If I had it to do over again, the one criterion I would focus on is target separation/finding the goods among the trash. The V3 seems ok at this for me, but I am suspecting the Minelab is better.

When the economy turns (don't hold my breath), I am going to buy the Minelab as well, and do all sorts of experiments, and sell the machine I prefer least.

I do enjoy using the V3, I can say that, and I am certainly no where close to tuning it to get the most out of it.

I'm sure you will get tons of more educated opinions -- good luck.

Epi-hunter
01-20-2010, 05:56 PM
Hi, and welcome to the forum! You have a hard decision :)

There are many people on this forum using both detectors successfully. So I don't think there is any one right answer for you. I think it is a matter of preference. If you have used both the DFX and the EXPII, you might want to think about it in terms of what features of each did you like, and which met your needs better overall. I used the EXPII before purchasing the E-trac. Both are very deep machines, but I had the original (not Pro) coil on my EXPII, and I think this coil is an improvement and is what really sets it apart. It is known for doing very well in trashy areas. It is an exceptional coil.

I can't speak for the V3, as I used one only for a very short time, but there is a very good thread in the 'White's' section, and some very knowledgeable people posting there, which might tell you more.

Good luck and I hope you keep posting! thumbsup01 Whatever you decide, you will have a good machine.

miller6670
01-20-2010, 07:48 PM
Thanks for the replies :) I think both machines will perform well, but I'm leaning towards the Etrac. I have some time to think about...I'm still 500.00 or so short... lol. Thanks also for the warm welcome!

hoser
01-20-2010, 09:30 PM
First off welcome to the forum. I ran the DFX for five years and really liked the machine. I now run the ETrac and there were two factors that led me there. One was recommendations from trusted friends, and I did a lot of reading on both machines. I haven't had the chance to use mine yet but I have a real good feeling about it and I think it will be a great machine for me come this spring. I liked the multi frequency feature a lot, and I think that either one would serve you well. Good luck on your quest.

CyberSage
01-20-2010, 09:47 PM
This is a tough choice. Either way you will make some great finds I am sure. Most importantly you have come to the right place for in depth answers and information on both these fine detectors. Welcome and enjoy your experience with what ever detector you choose. It's definitely the best of both worlds on American Detectorist.

Keep Swing'in
Jack