PDA

View Full Version : This week’s potpourri of metal

OxShoeDrew
08-18-2011, 08:12 PM
Imagine 300 years from now when our antecessors dig up our plastic. They’ll question the uses of items they uncover just as we do when unearthing metals today. Any help IDing these objects would be appreciated. None are ferrous.

From left to right
Left- Found 20 feet from cellar hole lip. Interesting profile with a pin hole.
Heart- Found in very old farm field.
Shiny round thing with Jefferson’s portrait :)
Darkest item- Tab with an engraved crown on top….forgot where I found it.
Right- This item wouldn’t normally peak my curiosity but it was found 9” down at the intersection of ancient roads (on 1703 maps) that are now in the middle of the woods.

del
08-19-2011, 03:18 PM
Drew , the first on on the left (with the slots ) is part of a colonial shoe buckle , the heart could be part of a locket , compact , snuff box who knows . the shiney Jefferson item could be an aluminum token (more modern i'm sure) to commemorate the presidents like those 60's or 70's shell gasoline coolectibles.your next item with the crown intrigues me could you get a good closeup of the crown image , it could be pretty old and i suspect it maybe being a key-hole cover to a really old english padlock. the last item looks like it has some old patina but doesn't remind me of anything old i've come across infact has a newer look about it . maybe George or someone else can id it.

Dan

OxShoeDrew
08-19-2011, 07:38 PM
Thank you so much Dan. Here is the tab thingy.

coinnut
08-19-2011, 07:44 PM
Dan is right about the shoe buckle fragment. But I'm not biting on that brand new Jefferson Nickel you have posted lol I'm not sure what that last item is and I think I have seen one and may even have one :confused: but I agree it looks more modern. That heart may be a saddle adornment or just a hand cut heart for some other reason. That crown thing could be a key hole cover.

del
08-19-2011, 07:50 PM
But I'm not biting on that brand new Jefferson Nickel you have posted lol

lol lol it is a modern nickle :embarrassed: lol shame on you Drew \:hammer: \:hammer: shows you how much i look at modern change 8/ lol lol

drew the piece you pictured again , i'm pretty sure is a keyhole cover for a colonial lock . very nice to have one with the crown insignia.

OxShoeDrew
08-19-2011, 07:57 PM
The nickel was for perspective...I was being silly discribing it ...and put a smile face after the description...but the smile showed up as a square on the post... :dontknow: Stupid new coins....I don't like them. Thanks Guys!

cnr_dogs
08-21-2011, 03:24 AM
the item with the pivot point looks like a catch for a cog maybe had a spring at one time like for a boat winch/come a long