PDA

View Full Version : Archaeologists & Metal Detectors

Ill Digger
08-19-2011, 08:07 AM
I just happened to catch this artical this morning. I thought I would share it with the forum. It seems they've found a new Civil War POW camp and are utilizing metal detectors in their searches :->
http://www.charter.net/news/read.php?rip_id=%3CD9P6K15O3%40news.ap.org%3E&ps=1 011

Dimeman
08-19-2011, 10:15 AM
It looks like some archaeologists are slowly realizing metal detectors CAN help in locating metal items for them......They usually pick a spot---- dig and hope something is there---since they can't see into the ground and don't have X-Ray vision :dontknow:
......by utilising metal detectors they will know a metal item is in the ground, and can dig and find more items much quicker.
And most detectorists will gladly help them if asked.

Good story !!!!!!!!! Thanks for sharing....... :perfect10:

RobW
08-19-2011, 12:31 PM
That only took 50 years rofl

I love how scientist embrace science 8/

BOWSER
08-19-2011, 04:44 PM
Google , 'the MAINE PENNY a neighbor of mine found it years ago when i was a kid.

jkress
08-19-2011, 09:51 PM
That was interesting Tim. Thanks for the link. thumbsup01
What a thrill it would be to hunt that area. :daydream:

bob_e99
08-21-2011, 11:20 AM
Google , 'the MAINE PENNY a neighbor of mine found it years ago when i was a kid.

That was very interesting. I wonder if I would have been smart enough to not think it was a piece of trash. :thinkingabout:

BOWSER
08-21-2011, 08:17 PM
I didn't see it in the story,but this fella operated a nursery business completly by himself for the most part and he only had 1 arm. vey hard worker. He sold the nursery years ago, it still in operation today. The place in MAINE, that he found the coin shouldn't be too hard to find.

aloldstuff
09-01-2011, 01:14 PM
Now that is a find. To bad the scientific community can't quite come to an agreement about it. Was it planted?? Is Guy a prankster? I personally think neither. The article I read said that about 30,000 items were donated to the Maine State Museum from this site. It seems to me that would be the spot to recover the penny. Just my opinion.

milco
09-03-2011, 06:09 PM
Gues I am missing something, because I don't see this story on the link:huh:

russellt
09-04-2011, 04:16 PM
yep camp lawton was started because of the overcrowded conditions at andersonville. i have seen many artcles on the subject as it is kind of local. probably 70 miles from where im at. i would certainly offer my services for any future searches . the items found are amazing

Jason in Enid
09-12-2011, 09:35 AM
Archeologists have been using metal detectors for years. They just don't want US using them.

Dimeman
09-12-2011, 10:31 AM
Archeologists have been using metal detectors for years. They just don't want US using them.

From what I understand they are using detectors more and more to locate items from old battlefield sites--even asking help from the metal detecting community.