PDA

View Full Version : The Invisible Hunter in Lexington, KY

kamogawa
08-20-2011, 07:40 AM
I think I have learned over the years that attracting the least amount of attention while metal detecting is the best thing. I guess you know you are a true treasure hunter when you pre-select greenish colored clothes so you will blend in with the green grass or tan and beige to camou:usaflag:e you amidst the dry grass of off season detecting and times of drought. I have pouches to match the natural surroundings and at times I wonder if I should pick out a brown Fishers for the Fall or the green Garrett for the Spring and Summer. happydance02

Epi-hunter
08-20-2011, 09:27 AM
Well, you must be really good at it because I've never seen you lol

Seriously, I totally agree. I really dislike being the center of attention when detecting, and if I could wish myself invisible I would.

When I have a chance to get away for more than an hour or two I tend to go to Cinci. There are a ton of detectorists there, and the parks have been hit hard, but I have found silver and gold so it's still there. What I like about Cincinnati is that detecting is allowed in the parks as long as you carry a permit. I like the feeling of knowing it's okay to be there, rather than worrying about being asked to leave a park.

bob_e99
08-20-2011, 05:15 PM
I also totally agree about not drawing attention to myself while I'm detecting. I have my digging tool and pinpointer hanging on a belt and then I wear a very large T-shirt to cover them so that they don't look threatening. Since this will be my first fall to detect and I like detecting in the woods, I will be wearing traditional hunting colors so no one thinks I'm a deer but will continue to wear neutral clothes in parks and other public areas. On the other hand, maybe if I wore something outrageous, people might think I'm weird enough to be left alone :crazy:

When I have a chance to get away for more than an hour or two I tend to go to Cinci. There are a ton of detectorists there, and the parks have been hit hard, but I have found silver and gold so it's still there. What I like about Cincinnati is that detecting is allowed in the parks as long as you carry a permit. I like the feeling of knowing it's okay to be there, rather than worrying about being asked to leave a park.

I didn't realize that some places required permits which is good information to have. Do you find that information listed on the city/town web site or do you have to call the Parks and Recreation department? And being able to find good stuff in already hunted parks is still a goal I have yet to achieve (not counting one mercury dime). :-\

Epi-hunter
08-21-2011, 08:52 AM
I didn't realize that some places required permits which is good information to have. Do you find that information listed on the city/town web site or do you have to call the Parks and Recreation department? And being able to find good stuff in already hunted parks is still a goal I have yet to achieve (not counting one mercury dime). :-\

I always check before going to parks to see if there is any information out there about permits, regulations, etc. (I don't call; I just check the website). Usually there isn't, but some places do require permits. You can even download the one-page registration for metal detecting on the Cinci parks and recreation site. You have to drop it off in person (they make a photocopy and give that to you to carry) but it's an easy process. I like that they directly address the topic of metal detecting rather than ignore it; then, if any issue arises later, everything is clear.

I have been asked one time to show my permit, so they do check. Had I not had it with me, I'm sure I would have been asked to leave.

bob_e99
08-21-2011, 11:12 AM
That is excellent information. Thank you for posting it.

tanacat
08-22-2011, 05:08 PM
Yeah, you're good- I live in Lexington and I've never seen you either lol I tend to hunt old homesteads or churches out in the middle of nowhere. You've prob hunted a lot of the same parks and churches as me here in town. It's great that we have over 100 city parks here in Lexington! I think I've been to them all- save a few in the rough neighborhoods.

kamogawa
08-22-2011, 08:28 PM
I hadn't been to a park in a long time and reluctantly ventured over to the Mary Todd Lincoln park off of N. Broadway last week. I kept looking over my shoulder a lot of the time. I had my headphones on and then decided it best to hunt without them. Tons of aluminum, but also a whole lot of modern coins scattered everywhere. Probably won't be back, but it was productive enough.

tanacat
08-23-2011, 07:22 AM
I hadn't been to a park in a long time and reluctantly ventured over to the Mary Todd Lincoln park off of N. Broadway last week. I kept looking over my shoulder a lot of the time. I had my headphones on and then decided it best to hunt without them. Tons of aluminum, but also a whole lot of modern coins scattered everywhere. Probably won't be back, but it was productive enough.

I found a 1964 Kennedy Half there last year! :yes: Under the big tree by the old playground... and a nice collectible pocket knife. That was it though, for HOURS/DAYS of hunting.

Epi-hunter
08-23-2011, 07:44 AM

Like Tana said, it's there, just masked by a lot of junk. It's worth the time IMO.

http://www.americandetectorist.com/forum/index.php?topic=6476.0

tanacat
08-23-2011, 02:54 PM
Wow Angie! I didn't realize that's where you found these- I was thinking another old park in Lexington.

Well Brian, you did just say in another thread that you were looking for a good competition hunt -----and here's one right in your own backyard lol

:thinkingabout: And... I think Angie's winning :cheering:

Epi-hunter
08-23-2011, 06:58 PM
No, sorry Tana, that was not the same park :) It was a different park in Lexington. I was just trying to make a general point that I think silver is still in the parks. I have never been to the park you two are talking about.

And I'm not very competitive lol :cheesysmile:

tanacat
08-23-2011, 07:23 PM
Oh, you know what, the park I'm talking about is Mary Todd park off Paris Pike lol

I'm competitive when it comes to pool and darts! :beerbuddy:

kamogawa
08-24-2011, 08:08 PM
WOW, ANGIE! You Go, Girl!! I saw the picture of those silvers with the trime you found. All hail the Minelab and fortitude of a dedicated hunter. You said that you aren't very competitive, but you definitely sprinted way ahead of everyone else with that particular hunt.

RobW
08-31-2011, 04:07 PM
It's great that we have over 100 city parks here in Lexington!

:shocked04: That's a lot of parks...and a lot of easy hunting ground

russellt
09-04-2011, 04:25 PM
for me mding is a solitary affair . i like the solitude of man, machine and earth to include history thumbsup01