PDA

View Full Version : A First- Civil War Store Card

Bell-Two
08-20-2011, 09:56 PM
The Dayton Diggers were invited up to a event for Women In The Outdoors, they had many different events such as canoeing, archery etc and of course metal detecting. We had two sessions and it was very succesful and after doing the demonstration on metal detecting we were allowed to hunt where we wanted in the camp area. The hunting was hard the ground had a lot of fill and only a few spots seemed to have undisturbed ground. A few things were found, Doug found a S&H token good for five cents off made of aluminum and to continue his streak of foreign coin finds he found a 1915 20 Centavos from Cuba which is silver! Sorry did not get a picture of this. I made two significant finds one of which is a first. One is a pendant from the Mercer County Fair from 1899 a nice looking pendant but one tip of the star is broken off.

[attachurl=1][attachimg=1]

The next item is a Civil War Store Card.I found the citation for it in Rulau's United States Tokens book listed on page 503 It is from Smart & Co. Grocers 136 Main Street Piqua Ohio. According to Rulau's rarity rating for Civil War Store Cards it is estimated that only between 200-500 of this token still exist so it is very uncommon.

[attachimg=2]

[attachimg=3]

Mudder
08-20-2011, 10:06 PM
These are very unusual, and I enjoyed seeing them. Thanks for sharing and they are great saves. Congrats.

del
08-20-2011, 10:11 PM
thats a great way to show the public our craft , thanks for being a good ambassador for the hobby Bell-Two :clapping: :clapping: :beerbuddy:
i like that store card token it is a very cool item to find :smitten:

Ill Digger
08-20-2011, 11:12 PM
Now those are the kinda finds that I really like!! :smitten: :drool:
As if the pendant wasn't cool enough :shocked04: The store card is super cool!
Have you come up with a rough estimate of it's value :thinkingabout: .....except priceless :yes: lol
Great find Tony!!
Congrats :grin:

Bell-Two
08-21-2011, 05:48 AM
Now those are the kinda finds that I really like!! :smitten: :drool:
As if the pendant wasn't cool enough :shocked04: The store card is super cool!
Have you come up with a rough estimate of it's value :thinkingabout: .....except priceless :yes: lol
Great find Tony!!
Congrats :grin:

Thanks, as to value Rulau states between $25 to $50 but that is without the corrosion so actual value can't say but as you said to me Priceless!

JTGOLD
08-21-2011, 07:54 AM
2 very nice finds,wtg.

Cheap Thrills
08-21-2011, 01:13 PM
Really neat finds . :cool: thumbsup01

Bell-Two
08-21-2011, 10:48 PM
Here is the token after a gentle peroxide bath.[attachimg=1][attachimg=2]

Ill Digger
08-21-2011, 11:56 PM
Thanks, as to value Rulau states between $25 to $50 but that is without the corrosion so actual value can't say but as you said to me Priceless!
Oh! Nice! thumbsup01

Boy that baby held up nice Tony!
Great find!
Congrats again! :grin:
Nice pictures too thumbsup01

aloldstuff
08-22-2011, 06:53 AM
That pendant from the fair is very similar to the badge of the ex slave mutual...I forget the rest. It has a cresent moon and a star badge. I saw this on another forum, and I wish I could remember which one. The store card is really fantastic, sounds like you got a rare one. Congrats

tanacat
08-26-2011, 07:42 AM
That store card is really neat- it cleaned up nice :yes: Congrats on both of those finds!

leslie(nova scotia)
08-26-2011, 07:44 AM
From the land of the Bluenose.....thanks for posting and letting us have a gander. Sweet items. <;)

wingmaster
08-29-2011, 07:10 PM
Very nice, congrats.

HEAVYMETALNUT
08-31-2011, 12:33 AM
well ya made the best outta that unfilled area thats for sure! some nice finds!