PDA

View Full Version : Time Saving Tip for Detecting in the Field

kamogawa
08-21-2011, 09:11 AM
When you find yourself out detecting and it seems like the time is flying by and you often feel that you didn't cover as much area as you had hoped, consider doing this. (This is based on normal procedure for organized and competition hunting) As soon as you recover something, put it in your pouch or apron and immediately move on to the next target. I can't tell you how many times I dug up something interesting only to sit there and examine it from every angle, ponder its historical past, see if it can be cleaned it up well enough to tell if there is a date or other markings on it, etc. During that time I could have recovered two other items. Also, think about this. By not examining the items you find, this add an air of anticipation and excitement on the finer details about what what is in your pouch. En route back home, instead of thinking There's never enough detecting time, you can enjoy a little bit of extended fun wondering what awaits during the inspection of the items you recovered.

Relic Whisperer
08-21-2011, 09:48 AM
That is exactly what I do with my beach finds. Out of the scoop a 10 second look to see if it is junk or has potential and then in my find pouch. I dont look until I get home and then check the finds out with my wife. It's kind of like finding it all over again and my wife gets to join in on the anticipation.

bob_e99
08-21-2011, 11:10 AM
Yes, I agree and that's what I do. I always put it away and look at it later. Besides, if I found something great I probably would raise my expectations for the rest of the hunt and then be dissapointed if I didn't follow up with another great find. Better to expect a pop-top and be surprised with something good than to expect something good and end up with a piece of garbage (IMO).

steve in so az
08-21-2011, 05:57 PM
Also, by examining things there you might arouse people's interest to come over and bother you. Plus at home you can inspect things - including junk items. Steve in so az

OxShoeDrew
08-21-2011, 06:32 PM
That is great advice...I'll try it tomorrow....I doubt I can do it though :)

Mudder
08-21-2011, 09:45 PM
We are all guilty of that one, I know that being new to the hobby, I want to take time and look at everything. I have gotten a little better with the coins, unless it is something I have not found before. Still it is very tempting to take an extra moment to take a look. It is great advise though, and will try to do a better job of living it. Thanks. :peace: