PDA

View Full Version : 1st Complete Shoe Buckle

OxShoeDrew
08-21-2011, 09:58 AM
A friend and I were on a wooded path by 7am this morning. After a ½ hour hike we came upon an old road heading perpendicular to our path….should we keep going on our path headed for the cellar hole or should we try this old road? We both had commitments later in the day so we decided to do the road a while and come back for the hole another day. It looked ancient, so we started detecting it. Within 5 min I got a pewter button, so I knew we had possibilities. Within 5 more min I got this shoe buckle. We couldn't stay long….but we’ll be back. I’ll post more pics after I clean it. Thanks for looking everybody!

Ill Digger
08-21-2011, 10:20 AM
Thats a nice buckle! thumbsup01
Congrats :grin:
I've never seen one of those come out of the ground around here :dontknow: :crying02:
Good luck on your return trip! If that buckle is any indication (and they usually are :yes:) should be a great post :drool: :drool:

coinnut
08-21-2011, 10:21 AM
A gorgeous, complete shoe buckle |:confused:) Right around the 1790's or so. Great hit!! Your are officially hooked on relic hunting lol

OxShoeDrew
08-21-2011, 11:22 AM
Thank you Ill Digger. Maybe the shoe styles changed when the settlers got out to the midwest?

Thank you too George. Yes, seems like a relic addiction. :twirlingeyes:

None of it is magnetic. After water and hand rubbing it has a very green patina. Is it all copper?
I'll research caring for it.

del
08-21-2011, 11:41 AM
hey Drew great shoe buckle :perfect10: its very uncommon to find them all complete (just ask Heavymetalnut lol) as George said its a later one probably 1770's to 1790 as you can tell by the size and the curve arch it has .yours is all brass or brass-alloy in composition , does the chape and tongue move freely :huh: if so then the cross pin is brass as well , if not then the pin is iron .i usually clean those types (brass ones) by washing it in warm soapy water with a fine brass brush to remove the loose verdigris then dry off when your pleased . if it doesn't have a nice even patina i'll brush the face ( detailed motif side) of the frame one way until theres a nice contrast to it . then i'll put a little renisance wax on it to keep it looking nice.its a very sweet find Drew congrats again.

Dan

MassDirtFisher
08-21-2011, 11:56 AM
Sweet looking shoe buckle!! It took me forever to get my first. Congrats on a nice one. Happy Hunting!!

OxShoeDrew
08-21-2011, 01:19 PM
Thank you all very much! I am pleasantly surprised how it is cleaning up. I still have more to do on it.
Dan- Thanks again for your info. I think it must be all brass with an iron pin because it doesn't move...and I am to scared to put any pressure on it. Should I still put the renaissance wax on it if it has an iron pin?
Thank you |:confused:) Thank you |:confused:)

del
08-21-2011, 02:01 PM
I think it must be all brass with an iron pin because it doesn't move...and I am to scared to put any pressure on it. Should I still put the renaissance wax on it if it has an iron pin?
Thank you |:confused:) Thank you |:confused:)

Drew , your welcome for the advice . thats what this forum is all about :yes:. don't try to force the chape and tongue to move and be gentle when cleaning around those parts you don't want to break them off as the iron pin could be quite brittle . yes once your happy with the way it turned out coat it with the wax or other preservative . remember we want to see it when its all done . ;)

sniffy
08-21-2011, 08:14 PM
A shoe buckle always makes a hunt AWESOME....I love shoe buckles...and yours is very nice.

aloldstuff
08-22-2011, 11:06 AM
Complete shoe buckle....WTG. Made the right decision on hunting the road instead of the hole. Congrats on a very nice find

Mudder
08-22-2011, 05:59 PM
thumbsup01 Fantastic find, and it cleaned up beautifully. You can be proud of it. Great save. :perfect10:

Toadman
08-22-2011, 06:03 PM
:twirlingeyes: sweeeeeeeeeeeet buckle !! Love the detail also :perfect10:

What state you in ?

del
08-22-2011, 06:12 PM
Drew , you did a great job on cleaning and preserving that beautiful piece of colonial history :perfect10: a very proud piece in anyones display case. thumbsup01

Dan

OxShoeDrew
08-22-2011, 06:26 PM
Thanks everyone ...you notice it gets red carpet treatment now? :cheesysmile:

Toadman
08-22-2011, 06:53 PM
I see Conneticut now.. dunno how i missed it.. thumbsup01

BOWSER
08-22-2011, 07:40 PM
wow you must been on the road of good finds :clapping: